Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The way you hold your drink reveals key

Still Waters

All revellers fall into one of eight different personality types which are given away by their drinking techniques, a leading psychologist has concluded.

Dr Glenn Wilson, a consultant psychologist at King's College, London, observed over 500 drinkers in bars last month.

He analysed drinkers' body language and then advised on their openness to being approached.

He has categorised them as the 'Flirt', 'Gossip', 'Fun-Lover', 'Wallflower', 'Ice Queen', 'Playboy', 'Jack the Lad' and 'Browbeater'.

He said the most open to being chatted up were "the flirt, the playboy, and the funlover". Harder to crack are the jack the lad, the ice queen, the wallflower and the gossip. The browbeater should be avoided.

Dr Wilson said: "The simple act of holding a drink displays a lot more about us than we realise – or might want to divulge.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoIverine

• regeneratia

• msmike1

• encouraged

oh gosh I'm the wallflower. =/

Thank goodness this guy has finally figured this out. I mean who gives SNIP about cancer or what makes people kill each other. Those are stupid. This man right here is a real go getter. Figuring out the worlds problems like that. SNIP

Mike

Edited by Lilly
language

Hmm,,cant see which one I fit into. Depends on my mood when I am havinig a drink. Could be any of them lol So, there's his theory down the drain already.. Seriously though, it's just body language, which most people can read even if they dont realise they are reading it. All part of nature and evolution, attempting to pick the right partner. We are no different to animal behaviour when it comes to mating! :)

I hold my drinks with both hands wrapped around glass, fingers interlocked and thumbs pointed up. Any suggestions?

To think that academics are actually paid to concoct nonsense like that.

He missed out the Comatose one....flat out with drink over shirt...that would be more me.....:wacko:

Hmm, I'm all of them depending on the drink and situation I'm in. Different drinking vessels require different handling. And taking tea with the ladies is for sure different than smashing horns with the vikings, lol.

Hey can anyone tell me where to apply for this job? Going to bars and staring at people sounds like it's worth the paycheck.

I hold my glass by the bowl, I guess that means I'm a gossip...

Thank goodness this guy has finally figured this out. I mean who gives a **** about cancer or what makes people kill each other. Those are stupid. This man right here is a real go getter. Figuring out the worlds problems like that. SNIP

Mike

Why would a psychologist who studies body language, study cancer? No really, I want to know. And you call him a SNIP "bad name".

Edited by Lilly
language

Ice queen???? I think this guy got it all wrong.

Depends on what I am drinking. If there is plenty of wine to go around, then I hold it by the bowl, the stem between the second and third fingers. If not a plentiful amount, then I hold it by the stem, so as not to warm the wine from my hand. A tumbler held beside me palm over the opening, then all finger tips, from the side when drinking it. Whatever a Jack of the ... is, I might be, with a little the Fun Lover, too. A bottle I hold straight up with the opening in my mouth for as long as I can! That is what binge drinkers like to do! LOL!

If you're a guy, don't hold a wine glass with your little finger sticking out. I busted a friend of mine doing that the other day, was pretty funny. :lol:

"Hey, look at insta-sissy here" HAHA

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Yeah....I'm sure there are more outside factors than this cold reading researcher missed. What about the guy who just drinks the damn drink. And the guy who doesn't want to gobble the drink down, well maybe the drinks are too goddamn expensive. What about the guy who likes to just hold a glass, because otherwise it may seem awkward with out one.

Seriously, there are so many reason's, that these categories might as well be horoscope readings ( no offense to astrologist.) :3

If you're a guy, don't hold a wine glass with your little finger sticking out. I busted a friend of mine doing that the other day, was pretty funny. :lol:

"Hey, look at insta-sissy here" HAHA

I'm beginning to think you are over compensating, bud. ;):P

I know a abundance of "union men" that have long hair and have attributes that you don't consider masculine. I dare say they would make mince meat of you. I don't mean that in a harsh way...it's just that I know them personally and I know how redneck they can be.

Don't judge a guy by his mullet...or his pinky. It may be a grave mistake :ph34r:

Edited by Michelle

I'm beginning to think you are over compensating, bud. ;):P

I know a abundance of "union men" that have long hair and have attributes that you don't consider masculine. I dare say they would make mince meat of you. I don't mean that in a harsh way...it's just that I know them personally and I know how redneck they can be.

Don't judge a guy by his mullet...or his pinky. It may be a grave mistake :ph34r:

Heh, I just might be one of those redneck types! :o

Well, at least my dad is, he is hardcore, so I was raised that way too. He has cars in the yard, two have been on cinder blocks for years, one was propped on a tree stump! I kid you not, that is not a stereotype. He yells at the TV, and has thrown beers at it! He has a prized collection of autotraders, and if he can't find one, he blames us! I don't know how many times I heard "boy, did you take my autotrader?!" while growing up. Usually it was in his pile of hoarded newspapers. God my dad is an embarrassment LOL. My mom refuses to take him out in public. HAHA, 100% true story too. We're living in the redneck part of FL / Bithlo / Oveido, outskirts of Orlando.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

I hold my drinks with both hands wrapped around glass, fingers interlocked and thumbs pointed up. Any suggestions?

Maybe ex crim, jealously guarding - or a coffee addict posing as a drinker aka: similar technique to holding a warm mug of coffee on a cold day.

We're living in the .... part of FL

That's all you had to say :-p