Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guillermo del Toro’s At The Mountains Of Mad

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

My fault I meant to just post the link but ended up putting the video in, I know thats frowned upon, That was my bad

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#32    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Have you guys seen this

I own the DVD.  The opening quote is from Lovecraft's essay, 'Supernatural Horror in Literature' first published I believe in 1927.
It is a good read as he critiques several novels, stories and such from his time and earlier, i.e. Shelley's Frankestein.  Those he like he praises highly, those he does not are more or less torn apart, though in short words.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#33    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hes my favorite author hands down :tu:

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#34    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Lovecraft's biggest influence was Edgar Allan Poe, and I've gotten a Complete Stories and Poems of Poe to start reading myself.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#35    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostInsanity, on 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Lovecraft's biggest influence was Edgar Allan Poe, and I've gotten a Complete Stories and Poems of Poe to start reading myself.
You can tell by some of Lovecrafts stuff that hes written that it he was heavily Influenced by Poe.

#36    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Of what I've read so far of Poe's, he most certainly was.

The Atlanta Radio Theatre Company has done a few dramatizations of Lovecraft stories, including At the Mountains of Madness, and some were free to download at one time, not sure if they still are.

#37    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostInsanity, on 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Another huge influence was Lord Dunsany.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#38    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Correct.  I believe the Nightgaunts in his stories were from nightmares of his own too.

#39    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Its really too bad he was never satisfied with his work

#40    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 17 January 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Hes my favorite author hands down :tu:

I cant say he is my favorite per se but he is up there. My problem is the fact HPL was a flawed writer, is it that he doubted the intelligence and imagination of his readers or doubted the power of his prose to capture his imagination?

In other words, he rambles too much and that could be a deal breaker when constructing atmosphere. Take Colour Out Of Space for example, that story needs some serious editing but a very fine story in of itself. But would have been a magnificent piece of horror literature if HPL had chosen to describe less and left more to the imagination of his readers.

With that said, what an awesome imagination! :tu:

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#41    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I also wonder if William Hope Hodgson's House on the Borderland is an influence? I've not read it but from what I gather it's very Lovecraftian, and it predates Lovecraft's work. In fact, you know that pic that used to get used often for the Call of Cthulhu RPG? The one with the house and the giant pig-man thing in the background? Aye, that was a cover for that book.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#42    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostUrisk, on 18 January 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

I also wonder if William Hope Hodgson's House on the Borderland is an influence? I've not read it but from what I gather it's very Lovecraftian, and it predates Lovecraft's work. In fact, you know that pic that used to get used often for the Call of Cthulhu RPG? The one with the house and the giant pig-man thing in the background? Aye, that was a cover for that book.

HPL himself admits Hodgson as an influence. I haven't read any of William Hope Hodgson's work. He wrote short stories alot about sea-life and nautical ghost stories. The reason I haven't read Hodgson is his work is pretty hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Other HPL influences were Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W Chambers,  Arthur Machen, and Clark Ashton Smith.

#43    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

#44    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Another personal fave that one :) I think that would make a really good film.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#45    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

A reading of The Shadow Over Innsmouth I do not have, will need to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users