Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Patients & staff should be banned from smokin

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 08 April 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Just out of interest.. has anyone tried the E-cigs? I have and for me they were foul tasting and cost me a fortune 2 years ago. They have come down in price now and I may try them again with a different flavour. I have tried just about everything but always slip back even herbal ciggies (yuk). :(  My hubby wants me to try hypnosis but I am not sure whether to try it or not?

I quit smoking almost a decade ago because whenever I took a deep breath I ended up having a coughing fit.  The coworkers at the time were all non smokers and would constantly complain that I stank...lol  but mainly quit because of the coughing.

I didn't do it cold turkey, it was more like stop & go traffic and it want my first time trying to quit.  I was a serial quitter.

What helped me to finally quit was tapering down and being conscience of my actions.  Instead of saying to myself that I'm addicted and I can't quit, I said with every cigarette I pulled out of the pack before lighting it, I choose to smoke this cigarette.   might sound silky but it's true and it helped me to regain control over the addiction.  Don't let smoking become an automatic action and most importantly don't beat yourself up.  If you want to have a smoke them do it, just do it consciously.

After awhile I when I pulled out a cigarette I said, I choose to NOT smoke this cigarette, and put it away.  This was not an overnight cure just a one cigarette at a time choice.

Don't scold yourself, don't justify, don't blame.  If you want that cigarette at that moment, own it, go ahead and smoke it, don't feel bad about it.  Just be in that moment, stay  conscience don't allow pulling out a cigarettes to be an automatic action.  

I don't think banning smoking is the answer either but patients in a hospital should not be exposed to the smoke and it's stench.  How very odd to think it's ok to go work stinky.  But smokers are not able to smell themselves...it's worse than
You think.

.  I understand that some patients smoke and get agitated when they can't smoke, I was that patient once, the staff wouldn't let me go out for a smoke and I threw a tantrum ::blush::  they offered me a choice of a patch or get taken down and tranquilized by force  lol   I chose the patch.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#32    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,840 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 08 April 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

I quit smoking almost a decade ago because whenever I took a deep breath I ended up having a coughing fit.  The coworkers at the time were all non smokers and would constantly complain that I stank...lol  but mainly quit because of the coughing.

I didn't do it cold turkey, it was more like stop & go traffic and it want my first time trying to quit.  I was a serial quitter.

What helped me to finally quit was tapering down and being conscience of my actions.  Instead of saying to myself that I'm addicted and I can't quit, I said with every cigarette I pulled out of the pack before lighting it, I choose to smoke this cigarette.   might sound silky but it's true and it helped me to regain control over the addiction.  Don't let smoking become an automatic action and most importantly don't beat yourself up.  If you want to have a smoke them do it, just do it consciously.

After awhile I when I pulled out a cigarette I said, I choose to NOT smoke this cigarette, and put it away.  This was not an overnight cure just a one cigarette at a time choice.

Don't scold yourself, don't justify, don't blame.  If you want that cigarette at that moment, own it, go ahead and smoke it, don't feel bad about it.  Just be in that moment, stay  conscience don't allow pulling out a cigarettes to be an automatic action.  

I don't think banning smoking is the answer either but patients in a hospital should not be exposed to the smoke and it's stench.  How very odd to think it's ok to go work stinky.  But smokers are not able to smell themselves...it's worse than
You think.

.  I understand that some patients smoke and get agitated when they can't smoke, I was that patient once, the staff wouldn't let me go out for a smoke and I threw a tantrum : :blush::  they offered me a choice of a patch or get taken down and tranquilized by force  lol   I chose the patch.

Thanks Lava that was sound advise! Well done for quitting! I hate being a smoker and nowadays you're like an outcast if you do. Grrr I need some willpower, but as you say take it with one ciggy at a time :yes:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#33    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

The fellow who cleaned my furnace this year was a smoker.  He was young and he was handsome, but even with him in the basement and me on the second floor of the house, I could still smell the smoke on him.  Through closed doors and 2 floors away, it was still there.  Anyone who thinks that nobody knows you smoke just because you chew gum or spray your breath with something, think again.  Cigarette smoke clings to a person as much as any campfire would.  It's in your hair, your clothes, and on your skin.  I don't think it stinks, it just smells like smoke.

#34    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 07 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Second-hand air fresheners make me barf in my boat. Second-hand exhaust fumes nurture my future cancer, but hey, you need your car so itís all right I drop dead because of what you want and choose to ignore its dangers.  

I noticed you donít give a rat turd about others. Itís only what you like or donít like. What you choose to insist on and what you choose to ignore. Very convenient. I'd ban such conveniences by law.

How nice of you. Just like a smoker choosing not to smoke when non-smokers drop by.
And that is not enough - according to you.
Not enough. You have to be stopped by the law from spreading carcinogens of your choice. Your carcinogenic chemicals escape from your private property, giving cancer to anyone who lives near you.
Just because you choose to ignore your carcinogens are carcinogen it doesnít make them less dangerous.
So Iíd call your neighbourhood situation even, with notable exception that your neighbours probably donít post about aggressive smells from your place, because media hasnít put peopleís minds into crusade against that particular set of carcinogens mode.

Itís not only acceptable but itís also fashionable to take your frustrations out on smokers, and Iím growing slightly tired of that.

And little something Lava Lady didnít touch but I want to cover too:
The medical expenses of my future cancer were paid entirely by all the cigarettes I bought so far. (Larger part of price of tobacco goes directly into state budget over here.) I am actually by smoking from now on covering some cheap non-smokers expenses, because NEWSFLASH non-smokers get cancer too.
And then everyone says in consternation: ďBut, but uncle Joe... he never smoked! He was such a nice man, working in asbestos factory and then in the garage apart from that time he spent in nuclear plant. How on earth he, of all people, got cancer?!Ē
I really wouldnít know.

You must lead a very sad existence if everything you mentioned bothers you.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#35    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

I smoke and I will give up if and when  when I choose to. I agree with the pub smoking ban, I never smoke in public, I smoke in my own home, I don't think i'm (all ) that evil,. I sympathise with non smokers to a certain extent until their complaints get too ridiculous for words, . Whats the harm in having a designated smoking area well away from any hospital entrances etc If this isn't good enough for people then cars should be banned from hospitals too, , Walking down the road every day we inhale god knows how many carcinogens from cars and other pollutants. It sounds sad, But to some people the only thing they have in life is their cigarettes, Imagine a car crash victim having lost their whole family, Would you deny them a cigarette well away from the hospital building? (Providing they weren't hooked up to an oxygen machine, Which happened to a friend of a friend on a hospital ward! And the cigarette was given to her by a nurse!) . My neighbour is a nurse (not that nurse) and she smokes, Her job is so stressful (as are many other peoples) she needs to have a cigarette to relax on her well earned break. Imagine if the whole nation gave up smoking tomorrow. Imagine the tax loss, Within a week the government would be encouraging people to smoke again. Smokers may cost the NHS money, But they also pay a hell of a lot of tax A lot of those smokers happen to be NHS workers yes they are humans too!, To refuse them treatment would be inhumane. I am all for stop smoking schemes if the person WANTS to stop smoking, We are more sympathetic to heroin addicts than smokers and I find that sad., As i said, I do smoke in my own home and if somebody wanted to complain, They would be more than welcome to come in to my cancer parlour and discuss things further with me, My other neighbour is a non smoker, actually very anti smoking and she says she has never smelt smoke in the 11 years we have been neighbours, In a terraced house i might add.
Yes, you may not smoke, Myself and many other people are considerate to this fact. However, Things are going too far, Non smokers like to use smokers as a convenient excuse when said  non smoker gets cancer. "Oh my god, somebody smoked a cigarette within a 100 mile radius of me last week, it must have been that". When, in reality, It could be down to any one of the things that apparantely cause cancer these days, Such as water, Red meat, Alcohol (bigger killer than smoking)! or kittens. Or driving a car. Or processed foods. Or non processed foods. Or mobile phones, Or laptops, Or cosmetics and hair dyes, Or pharmaceutical drugs, Or the material in your pillows, The dyes used on your clothes, I could go on but theres no need.

Edited by catfromhell, 15 April 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#36    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

For all the people who have suffered cancer or known someone who has suffered cancer, There is also the more serious point of why a complete cure hasn't been found yet (And likely never will) Cancer is a multi billion pound industry, It keeps many, many people employed and attracts some serious money. And that is why cancer will never be completely cured.

#37    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

At the end of the day, You cannot blame one group of people for cancer, Nor should you have any right to, Especially if (like me and everyone I know) they are considerate to you. Its like a mass hysteria, which makes me laugh a  tiny bit because you are probably causing more harm or as much harm, As your considerately smoking neighbour. Factor into this that cancer is a multi billion pound industry, And as such will never be completely cured, Who's laughing?

#38    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Do cigarette smokers also pay for asthma?  Because if so, I have some back pay coming to me.  I need inhalers on my person at all times.  Cigarette smoke will trigger an attack...and its smoking that caused me to develop asthma in the first place.

Does it also pay for emphysema, COPD, heart disease, and the other myriad problems it can cause?

All the comparison complaints are silly, but if they bother you do much then start a petition.

All this stickle us about is banning smoking from hospitals, in the UK and all I want is to not have to breathe it in my own house.  Smokers can smoke all they want, I won't waste time trying to lecture anyone about the evils its smoking.  Just keep it to yourself, don't force me to smoke with you.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users