Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

How many of you do and don't believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#151    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 29 January 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Science is the knowledge and understanding derived from such phenomena, science comes from the latin word "scientia" which means knowledge.

The word comes from "knowledge", but that is now how science is defined. Science is not knowledge; it is the scientic method. I.e. how knowledge is aquired -- not by divine inspiration or a dream in a cave, but by observation and logical thought.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#152    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,820 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Were that distinguishing genuine science and false science were so easy.  Lots of intelligent people observe carefully and think logically and come to diametrically opposite conclusions.  This happens especially in politics and philosophy, but also in science.

The one thing about science that distinguishes it is that there seems to be some sort of flowing, developing, consensus.  It changes over time and therefore is not absolute, but it is there nevertheless and generally extremely reliable.  I think this is possible in part because science in our world is limited to a fairly narrow range of topics, and tends to mind its own business.

#153    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,551 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 30 January 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

The word comes from "knowledge", but that is now how science is defined. Science is not knowledge; it is the scientic method. I.e. how knowledge is aquired -- not by divine inspiration or a dream in a cave, but by observation and logical thought.
Science is a type of knowledge.

"Science refers to a system of acquiring knowledge. This system uses observation and experimentation to describe and explain natural phenomena. The term science also refers to the organized body of knowledge people have gained using that system. Less formally, the word science often describes any systematic field of study or the knowledge gained from it."

http://www.sciencema...definition.html

#154    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• There is no God in foxholes

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

I know that there is no meaningful God and/or Satan.

How do I know?

That IS NOT the question that you are TRULY asking; what you truly want to ask is How Can I [YOU] Know?

The answer to that is - You can never KNOW.

Mystic doofuses, I have done this as well, oft times yammer that "Anyone can do it," BUT the fact is...very few can do IT and even less than that will attempt "it" and fewer still will survive to arrive @ enlightenment.

Now you'll, probably, want to know what Enlightenment is - ask and ye shall receive, but.....you may not like AND........you'll never know the answer.

Edited by Tor_Hershman, 17 February 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#155    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

dont believe in god  per-say.. but i believe i can fly, i believe i can touch the sky

Posted Image

#156    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

i keep reading that Jesus was a great teacher but he taught nothing that can't be found in the old testament.he may have put a different spin on it  but it was the same message

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#157    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

I believe in God.

#158    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 16,216 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

View Postfullywired, on 18 February 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

i keep reading that Jesus was a great teacher but he taught nothing that can't be found in the old testament.he may have put a different spin on it  but it was the same message

fullywired
I actually agree with this.  He taught a message also taught by other important  liberal jews (The rabbis Hillel father and son) from whom he probably learned as a young man. We can read their writings and compare them with those attributed to Christ and see the similarities.  Christ wasn't trying to start a new religion, but revitalise and reform an old one. He was part of a wider movement, in conflict with the very orthodox and conservative school which  constituted jewish authority  at that time.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#159    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,022 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 18 February 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

I actually agree with this.  He taught a message also taught by other important  liberal jews (The rabbis Hillel father and son) from whom he probably learned as a young man. We can read their writings and compare them with those attributed to Christ and see the similarities.  Christ wasn't trying to start a new religion, but revitalise and reform an old one. He was part of a wider movement, in conflict with the very orthodox and conservative school which  constituted jewish authority  at that time.
You can also see their differences. Hillel, for example, was quoted as saying "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself". A subtle, but significant difference to Jesus' famous "do unto others..." statement.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#160    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 16,216 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 19 February 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

You can also see their differences. Hillel, for example, was quoted as saying "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself". A subtle, but significant difference to Jesus' famous "do unto others..." statement.
Yes.  Jesus spoke in his own way and with his own words, although you can see where he got many of his theological positions from. Christ was not the only one killed by the pharisees and other authorities of the opposing school. They also used the zealots to kill off much of its leadership. This weakened the Hillel school's influence but eventually its position was affirmed as jewish "orthodox" belief.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#161    Hideout

Hideout

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

I realize I've missed 11 pages of discussion, but in response to the original question. I do not believe in any god(s) that have been proposed to me. I don't see any reason too, however if sufficient evidence was presented to me, I would be more than willing to accept the idea that a god exists.

To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.
--Richard Feynman

#162    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,903 posts

• Take care with your words for once spoken they can never be taken back, only be forgiven and rarely forgotten.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

View PostHideout, on 19 February 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

I realize I've missed 11 pages of discussion, but in response to the original question. I do not believe in any god(s) that have been proposed to me. I don't see any reason too, however if sufficient evidence was presented to me, I would be more than willing to accept the idea that a god exists.

Ah but there is the proverbial rub, isn't there. You are just expected, if not outright ORDERED to believe on command. No choice, just believe what you're ordered to.
However IF there was ample evidence to PROVE that any deity exists then there is no reason to believe, is there because you would know.

As for me I never accepted any religion nor any claim of the existence of deities. Never made sense to me.
If it is all about love for others then why does it need a religion?

Didn't Gandhi say something like "Love doesn't require a religion"?

#163    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

Do I believe in God?

I don't know.

I've never really had any experiences either way.

The longer I live, though, the more I lean toward the possiblity that there is something or someone out there who orchestrates all this chaos.  Or at least has a hand in its facilitation.

#164    thedutchiedutch

thedutchiedutch

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.
    Bob Marley

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

I Don't.

So do I have time for a last smoke and a pancake or what?

#165    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,014 posts

• How is the appearance of my house that His ghost could come in among my dwelling?

:-*

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

I do

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users