Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Why dont we have frozen Oceans if...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,108 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 September 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

Well whatever happens when the ice sheets melts, I doubt we will like it.
Especially if you own beachfront property

#17    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

Cause Gawd made it dat way

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

As well as the reasons given to you, water has another, unusual property. In most cases the solid phase of a chemical is more dense than the liquid. When you start to freeze it the ice sinks to the bottom and the freezing process occurs from the bottom upwards. The sinking of the ice (and the colder, more dense, liquid near freezing point) help to cools the entire liquid.

This does not happen with water. Water is at its most dense at around 4oC, whilst still liquid. This means that the ice floats at the surface. Warmer water sinks. This is why fresh water lakes (and even fish ponds if they are deep enough) do not freeze solid even when the air temperature is well below freezing. If the body if water is deep enough the temperature at the bottom will remain at 4oC.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 02 September 2013 - 06:53 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,108 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 02 September 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

As well as the reasons given to you, water has another, unusual property. In most cases the solid phase of a chemical is more dense than the liquid. When you start to freeze it the ice sinks to the bottom and the freezing process occurs from the bottom upwards. The sinking of the ice (and the colder, more dense, liquid near freezing point) help to cools the entire liquid.

This does not happen with water. Water is at its most dense at around 4oC, whilst still liquid. This means that the ice floats at the surface. Warmer water sinks. This is why fresh water lakes (and even fish ponds if they are deep enough) do not freeze solid even when the air temperature is well below freezing. If the body if water is deep enough the temperature at the bottom will remain at 4oC.
I had a teacher in school tell me that were it not for that property of water there would be no life on earth as the only reason life survived on the early earth was that bodies of water didn't completely freeze

#20    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,409 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Because it is not sufficient that the air temperature is 0, you also need distilled water at that temperature in all layers. Depending on the aggregates to the water it may not freeze until -40 C (i.e. antifreeze).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#21    raven3322

raven3322

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

the Water molecule is In Constant flux  from vapor A liquid A solid  sates The salt reaction with the molecules

#22    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Okay. One mystery solved. Thanks Umers!

Big Bad Voodoo

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#23    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

And now that the science is understood, it is time for the Icy Finger of Death!

Also, only the south pole melting will appreciably raise the ocean levels.  Since their is no land at the north pole all the ice is floating on the water.  Since the amount of ice that floats above the waterline is equivalent to the volume chance when the ice freezes, as the ice melts you don't get any net change in water level.

#24    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,108 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Don't forget Greenland icesheet

#25    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

I thought that was partly inside the Arctic Circle, but not considered part of the polar area?  I'm pretty bad at geography so I could be wrong.  But yeah, ice on land melting does mean a pretty straightforward ocean level raise, for sure.

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

We can have an appreciable rise in sea levels even if the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets don't melt.  They will still put out a lot of water and as the earth warms all ocean water will expand.

#27    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,108 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Postcacoseraph, on 02 September 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

I thought that was partly inside the Arctic Circle, but not considered part of the polar area?  I'm pretty bad at geography so I could be wrong.  But yeah, ice on land melting does mean a pretty straightforward ocean level raise, for sure.
Yeah you are right about Greenland not being considered part of arctic polar ice but still there is a lot of water locked up there

#28    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 September 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

Is the ice a the poles salty or does the salt precipitate out during the freezing of the water?
The water freezes out of sea water.    It's called fractional crystallization.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users