Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Free guns for high-crime Neighborhoods

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – A University of Houston graduate student says he’s conducting a study to hopefully answer the question being asked across the country, “Do more guns reduce crime or not?”
Kyle Coplen, who founded the Armed Citizens Project, is giving away 20-gauge single-shot shotguns to residents in mid- and high-crime neighborhoods to test whether or not the weapon will help reduce crime in the area, according to the group’s website. Coplen says the weapons are not of much value to criminals, but are especially useful for citizens looking to protect themselves from criminals.

http://houston.cbslo...ime-is-reduced/

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review).
Our review of the academic literature found that a broad array of evidence indicates that gun availability is a risk factor for homicide, both in the United States and across high-income countries.  Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US, where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide.
Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature. Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.

http://www.hsph.harv...guns-and-death/

So that should be interesting.

#2    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,138 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Crime is way down in the US. Guns are a big part of that.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

*waves hand* I need me a gun ! Gimmie !

Miss me?

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

The whole gun law argument is stupid.

It's the people who obtain guns illegally that are dangerous with them, they won't listen to gun laws and then when all the innocent people have their guns taken the criminals will have a field day. Ultimate looting for them.

The real link between the shootings that have happened is the pharmaceutical drugs they where on. Made me laugh how they tried to link the shooters by their rifles... A certain type of rifle doesn't make you go nuts. lol Pharmaceutical drugs on the other hand do.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostCoffey, on 27 March 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

It's the people who obtain guns illegally that are dangerous with them, they won't listen to gun laws and then when all the innocent people have their guns taken the criminals will have a field day. Ultimate looting for them.

How can you say that with all the accidental shootings happening? And all the youngsters that steal their parents weapons because they aren't safely locked away? Wasn't that the case with the Ohio shooting even? These are legally acquired guns.
Not being able to handle guns properly isn't a negligence exclusively reserved for the gangsters. Cmon....how short sighted is that.

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostRender, on 27 March 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

How can you say that with all the accidental shootings happening? And all the youngsters that steal their parents weapons because they aren't safely locked away? Wasn't that the case with the Ohio shooting even? These are legally acquired guns.
Not being able to handle guns properly isn't a negligence exclusively reserved for the gangsters. Cmon....how short sighted is that.

Didn't mention Gangsters in my post....

As for the Ohio shooting, it's funny how he was on the exact same meds as the other guy.... I also tend not to listen to the lying media who have been proven to lie or leave out details on purpose.

#7    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Armed Citizen Project - Kyle Coplen - YouTube

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#8    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,039 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

If you really want to reduce crime levels give away handguns to law abiding,background checked,open carrying citizens in cities.Crime levels and criminals themselves will drop drastically!   :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,420 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

background checks, theres too many ill people with dangerous weapons

#10    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostCoffey, on 27 March 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Didn't mention Gangsters in my post....

As for the Ohio shooting, it's funny how he was on the exact same meds as the other guy.... I also tend not to listen to the lying media who have been proven to lie or leave out details on purpose.

So you just mentioned illegally acquired gun because this describes every average American accoring to you?
Rrright...you mean criminal related, i called it gangster ... tomatoe tomato

#11    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,255 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Why not just give every kid a 6 shooter on his/her 6th birthday?

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#12    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,655 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostThanato, on 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Why not just give every kid a 6 shooter on his/her 6th birthday?

They usually start with rifles.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#13    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostRender, on 27 March 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

So you just mentioned illegally acquired gun because this describes every average American accoring to you?
Rrright...you mean criminal related, i called it gangster ... tomatoe tomato

So you are saying an organized group of individuals is the same as a criminal. A gang usually is made up of criminals but it certainly is not the same thing at all. A criminal can be anyone who owns a gun illegally. If one person robs an old woman using a gun they are automatically in a gang? Don't think so.

I never mentioned the average American... Or implied the every average American owns a gun illegally... You seem to be putting words into my mouth and twisting everything I say, but the wirdest part is I don't even so how you can possibly come to these conclusions from what i said.

#14    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostCoffey, on 27 March 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

So you are saying an organized group of individuals is the same as a criminal. A gang usually is made up of criminals but it certainly is not the same thing at all. A criminal can be anyone who owns a gun illegally. If one person robs an old woman using a gun they are automatically in a gang? Don't think so.

I never mentioned the average American... Or implied the every average American owns a gun illegally... You seem to be putting words into my mouth and twisting everything I say, but the wirdest part is I don't even so how you can possibly come to these conclusions from what i said.

Can't believe i have to explain your own sentences to you.

Firstly, gangsters or criminals, this is a language issue...we get that we mean the same thing, criminals. That's why i wrote criminals also. Sheesh.

Second: You said

It's the people who obtain guns illegally that are dangerous with them

So according to you only bad things with guns happen if they are obtained illegally. I mentioned the many tragic events that occured with legally obtained guns, but according to you these events never even happened...because bad things only happen with illegally obtained guns. So im trying to explain to you that in you logic that means that all these legally obtained guns were actually illegally obtained, according to you. So that would make the average American, where many tragic events occured, are criminals for having illegally obtained guns.

Basically what im saying to you is that MANY tragic events have happened with legally obtained guns, so your whole logic is a fallacy.

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,557 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

If I lived there, I'd put up a sign saying I'm part of the test... whether true or not. It would be just as good as a Beware of Dog sign. Which is another good way of keeping people out of your house. People who have dogs are very rarely burglerized.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users