Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neil DeGrasse Tyson View On Life Beyond Earth

Dr. Mirdad

I watched this video earlier and thought it was well worth sharing. This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth. I was fascinated by his explanation in this video. What are your thoughts on it?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KeJoVeKSsyA[/media]

• Like 5

i never tire of watching/listening to this man.. really need to get some books

Life definitely exists beyond the earth! Whether it's intelligent is the big question. An even bigger question is whether intelligent life exists right here on earth. I often wonder about this when I watch prime time TV.

I watched this video earlier and thought it was well worth sharing. This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth. I was fascinated by his explanation in this video. What are your thoughts on it?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KeJoVeKSsyA[/media]

I like his quote -

3.30 onwards

"Are we alone in the universe? We're made of the most common ingredients there are. And our chemistry is based on carbon, the most chemically active ingredient i the periodic table. If you were to find an ingredient on which to base life.. you would use carbon. Carbon is the 4th most abundant ingredient in the universe, not rare"

well worth a listen...

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

It seems reasonable that there could be a continuum of intelligence in life in the universe. We might have little to say to beings several million years our senior, or they to us, assuming their intelligence continues to evolve. Even if this is so, we might very well have valuable conversations with beings a few centuries or a few millennia ahead of us, just as we still find some of the efforts of our own predecessors to be of value.

In so far as stellar civilizations are able to communicate with one another, those not too dissimilar in their level of development may be the ones we would expect to communicate with one another.

Whose science and logic? There are many.

He actually said nothing we didn't already know 100 years ago.

For example? BTW logic is simply logic.

logically that is

Edited by seeder

He's my favorite mainstream scientist because his lectures and interviews make science interesting; it's how he delivers it. You can see his enthusiasm for it and the fact that he's a funny dude ads a bit of a stand-up comedy vibe to it. So you're laughing your ass off but at the same time you're really captivated by what Neil is saying.

• Like 2

I totally agree with him

Hi Dr.Mrdad and welcome to UM :)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth" and what are our thoughts....

I don't understand ANYONE having ANY doubt that there MUST be LOTS of life ALL over the universe.... Are there such people???

All this video did was remind me how incredibly DUMB we are.

Edited by Paxus

I often wonder about this when I watch prime time TV.

I must be intelligent life then, I gave up on TV some time ago... (honest)

the endless and on every channel "Go Compare" (fat opera singer) ads were the final nail in the TV's coffin

Edited by seeder

If i'd had a science teacher with half his enthusiasm when I was a kid, i'd have found it hard not to pursue those subjects back then.

Seen this vid before, nice to see it again though :tu:

• Like 1

Hi Dr.Mrdad and welcome to UM :)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth" and what are our thoughts....

I don't understand ANYONE having ANY doubt that there MUST be LOTS of life ALL over the universe.... Are there such people???

All this video did was remind me how incredibly DUMB we are.

I said "This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth." when use the whole sentence it kind of makes sense.

In this video he gave an explanation for why he thought there could be a possibility of life beyond this planet, so I presented it in the same manner. I felt would've been unwise for me to say "This is the explanation for why there is life beyond this planet earth" because he didn't actually say that in this video and I did not want to present this video as my own evidence for entertaining the possibility of life beyond this planet.

If i'd had a science teacher with half his enthusiasm when I was a kid, i'd have found it hard not to pursue those subjects back then.

Seen this vid before, nice to see it again though :tu:

The man in your icon looks familiar... I know where I seen you before....

prometheus_movie_engineer_deletedscenes.jpg

Lol

Edited by Dr. Mrdad
  • Like 1

By now we are all aware of your "science" and "logic" thank you very much. :tu:

• Like 1

Of course there are. Take, for example, the extraordinarily scientific and irrefutably logical claim by some on this forum that states, "I don't know anything about the construction techniques of ancient cultures so alienz did it."

Simply brilliant! :rolleyes:

You're relying on human knowledge gathered in the past? I'm shocked! :o

What is this forum coming to? :cry:

• Like 2

Dr.Tyson knows from wince his bread is buttered ! ANd dont you forget it either ! He quite the intellect. We Humans could learn a thing or three trillion from this man !

I love Neil..

did you know he is the host for the remake of Cosmos? that should be out this year..

Also love Brian Cox..

I love Neil..

did you know he is the host for the remake of Cosmos? that should be out this year..

Also love Brian Cox..

He is a great conveyor of science! I wish I had more time to enjoy such programs, unfortunately that is not the case.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I download them all.. gives me something to watch when I am at camp after I finish my shift :D

I download them all.. gives me something to watch when I am at camp after I finish my shift :D

I envy you that you have the time to spare to watch :P I just watched the one in the OP and it is excellent. He definitely has a way with words...."drooling, blithering idiots in their presence." about us if we met an Alien race that was as intelligent compared to us as we are compared to chimps. How very true.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Who's science? People who can read I imagine.

You do not get to choose sciences, there is science and that is it. Fringe borrows the word science and abuses it. People are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts. Science is what it is, the pursuit of knowledge.

We know something that you say is not "your" science" do we? How do we "Know" it then Zoser? That which you abhor confirms it does it?

LOL.

• Like 1