Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Barking tickets given to dog owners in Hawaii

Still Waters

Dog owners in Hawaii are turning to pet psychologists to save their animals from a draconian new law that makes 'incessant barking' an offence.

Hawaii's Big Island may boast idyllic scenery but it is overrun by pet dogs and the noise has prompted officials to take drastic action against repeat offenders.

Police can now write barking tickets, fine noisy dog owners hundreds of dollars and even remove an uncontrollable yapper to a dog pound.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• and-then

• OverSword

• Sakari

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the article: "The law still allows for a dog to bark over the allotted time limits if its owner is being attacked."

Fascinating. How does an owner teach their dog about this exception to the law? :lol:

I love my 3 dogs dearly and even encourage them to howl at times (they are Basset hounds, who doesn't like to hear those deep throated howls, heh). However if they start getting even just a little rowdy at 2AM I will get my lazy butt up and shush them or play with them to get them to quiet down. I've gone so far as to take them for a midnight walk to keep the peace.

It called respect for other. Learn it. Love it.

As for tickets .. mixed feelings. Most of the time, when it comes to dogs, its the peoples behaviour that needs to be modified and nothing else motivates peoples habits like money. As it being necessary for the state government to be enforcing that ... eh .. like I said mixed feelings. There are plenty of things I think government should be regulating, but dog barking probably not so much.

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals

My next door neighbour would be able to carpet her house with tickets if this law was in force here.

It is a great law that should be enforced everywhere.

To many people get a dog and leave it in the yard, tied up, or ignored.The barking, howling, signs of wanting attention ( in a lot of cases ) ignored by the person that took this animal in.

If you are to lazy to house train your dogs, and let them in the house at least at night, than do not share your life with them.

Above is my opinion, I believe dogs are the best damn friend anyone can have, un-conditional love that no other living creature can have to another.They should be treated as such, and not a " pet " that someone " owns "........It is a gift being shared, not a material thing.......If one can not appreciate this, sorry.

My Beagle taught me VERY early on in our relationship that when she felt the need to bark, she darned well would. She quickly became an indoor dog so that our neighbors didn't show up with torches and ropes.... Her voice was so loud that if you were drinking a beverage from an aluminum can and it was only half full, it would vibrate in your hand... she was awesome! She was part of our family for 16 years :cry:

My Beagle taught me VERY early on in our relationship that when she felt the need to bark, she darned well would. She quickly became an indoor dog so that our neighbors didn't show up with torches and ropes.... Her voice was so loud that if you were drinking a beverage from an aluminum can and it was only half full, it would vibrate in your hand... she was awesome! She was part of our family for 16 years :cry:

I say :tu: to this! I had the unpleasant experience of having an upstairs nieghbor with no control or desire to control, her dogs. I used to love dogs, now I think they would be delicious barbecued.