Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Ghosts Real? Science Says No-o-o-o

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe ghosts are real? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe ghosts are real?

1. Yes (53 votes [67.95%])

Percentage of vote: 67.95%

2. No (25 votes [32.05%])

Percentage of vote: 32.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

If you believe in ghosts, you're not alone: A 2005 Gallup poll found that 37 percent of Americans believe in haunted houses, and about one-third believe in ghosts. Tens of thousands of people around the world actively search for ghosts as a hobby. Researcher Sharon Hill of the Doubtful Newsblog counted about 2,000 active amateur ghost-hunting groups in America.

Ghosts have been a popular subject for millennia, appearing in countless stories, from "Macbeth" to the Bible, and even spawning their own folklore genre: ghost stories. Ghosts are perhaps the most common paranormal belief in the world. Part of the reason is that belief in ghosts is part of a larger web of related paranormal beliefs, including near-death experience, life after death, and spirit communication.
The idea that the dead remain with us in spirit is an ancient one, and one that offers many people comfort; who doesn't want to believe that our beloved but deceased family members aren't looking out for us, or with us in our times of need? Most people believe in ghosts because of personal experience; they have seen or sensed some unexplained presence.

The science and logic of ghosts
Personal experience is one thing, but scientific evidence is another matter. Part of the difficulty in investigating ghosts is that there is not one universally agreed-upon definition of what a ghost is. Some believe that they are spirits of the dead who for whatever reason get "lost" on their way to The Other Side; others claim that ghosts are instead telepathic entities projected into the world from our minds.

Ghost hunters use many creative (and dubious) methods to detect the spirits' presences, often including psychics.

The evidence for ghosts is no better today than it was a year ago, a decade ago, or a century ago. There are two possible reasons for the failure of ghost hunters to find good evidence. The first is that ghosts don't exist, and that reports of ghosts can be explained by psychology, misperceptions, mistakes and hoaxes. The second option is that ghosts do exist, but that ghost hunters are simply incompetent. Ultimately, ghost hunting is not about the evidence (if it was, the search would have been abandoned long ago). Instead, it's about having fun with friends, telling stories, and the enjoyment of pretending they are searching the edge of the unknown. After all, everyone loves a good ghost story.

http://www.livescien...hosts-real.html

#2    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I am atheist and I value science, but I seen things that I can't explain. Like Indians and Civil War figures, showing up at history landmarks. Even been attacked once...

Edited by Uncle Sam, 01 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#3    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Not to, you know, render the forum moot or anything, but believers will always believe, and those who don't believe will rebuff any amount of evidence brought to them, saying it's been doctored and altered. Neither side will give, and most likely neither will convince the other that their belief is the truth. :whistle:

Posted Image

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

He raises some good points - if you believe in ghosts, the question becomes "which kind of ghost do you believe in" because there are multiple and, frankly, conflicting versions and explanations.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,532 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 01 February 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Not to, you know, render the forum moot or anything, but believers will always believe, and those who don't believe will rebuff any amount of evidence brought to them, saying it's been doctored and altered. Neither side will give, and most likely neither will convince the other that their belief is the truth. :whistle:
What you say is certainly true, and yet we muddle on.  Part of it is entertainment, part of it is we occasionally learn something, and part of it is we get good practice saying what we think.

Anyone who thinks they will convert anyone to anything on these boards is deluded.  You may, however, occasionally plant a seed.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,532 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostRafterman, on 01 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

He raises some good points - if you believe in ghosts, the question becomes "which kind of ghost do you believe in" because there are multiple and, frankly, conflicting versions and explanations.
Of all the outre things around, ghosts come closest to being believable.  We have all had things go bump in the night.

#7    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Science can't prove something doesn't exist.

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Of all the outre things around, ghosts come closest to being believable.  We have all had things go bump in the night.

True, but that doesn't prove there are ghosts.  It only proves that things go bump in the night.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#9    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,724 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

My personal experiences make me a believer in ghosts.  No one can convince me they don't exist.  I do have a belief that science will someday be able to do more than just say they don't exist.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#10    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Ghosts are as real as Trolls, Werewolves and Angels.

They all live in your mind.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#11    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,051 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

View Postscowl, on 01 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Science can't prove something doesn't exist.

This is just wrong.  http://en.wikipedia....ptics)  Science proved 'rods' don't exist.  I used that example because I imagine ghost believers venture into the cryptid forum.  It also continually proves that there is no great ape in North America, and no monster in Loch Ness.

If you're going into the 'higher realms' (heaven, god, and the like), then you are correct.  We then must assume there is a giant flying spaghetti monster by that logic.

Assumptions are made all the time, just to be refuted by experiment.

#12    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Evidently there must be ghosts. I heard on the news people that are selling houses must state on selling, if anyone commited suicide or was murder in the house:)

#13    whitelight

whitelight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

I've seen a ghost, I've experienced activity consistent with a haunting.  I worked at a place that was haunted but I never experienced anything others did.  The only reason I visit is place is that I am looking for answers.

#14    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Again there must be ghosts. I heard on the news people that are selling houses must state on selling, if anyone commited suicide or was murder in the house:)what other reason are home owners suppose to give that infomation on selling:)

#15    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,724 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

Tens of thousands of people around the world actively search for ghosts as a hobby. Researcher Sharon Hill of the Doubtful Newsblog counted about 2,000 active amateur ghost-hunting groups in America.

And not one shred of convincing evidence from any of them.....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users