Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christianity makes me angry

StarDroid

And I'll tell you why. A few days ago I had a visit from my great-aunt on my mother's side. She's one of these people who was raised to believe the Bible is the literal word of God. It really made me angry when she was talking about the Bible and how it was the infallible word of God. At one point she said that this country was founded on Christian principles, which of course it wasn't. It made me sad to realize how deeply ingrained into her all this brainwashing was. I could have very easily refuted her claims but I didn't for the following reasons: one, she's nearly eighty years old. Two, to be honest I don't think she has much to live for, except her family and going to church. She has diverticulitis, arrythmia, her knees are shot and need to be operated on but the operation can't happen because of her knees. On top of that she has cataracts in both eyes and can hardly see. She's a mess for sure and I feel so bad for her that I would never take away from her religion and God and the Bible. Her husband passed a few years back and she's a widow, living by herself in a house that's too big for her.

She's a dear, sweet woman and I never would do anything to make her sad or angry at me. So, me being me, I said nothing and smiled and nodded but at the same time I was thinking, You're my great-aunt and I do love you to death, but you're wrong about the Bible being the word of God and the rest of it.

Edited by StarDroid
  • Like 3

So in other words you hate ignorance. Because it's really what she believes that makes you upset.

• Like 2

So in other words you hate ignorance. Because it's really what she believes that makes you upset.

Pretty much. At this point in time, the twenty first century, with the internet and all the rest of it, there's no excuse for such profound ignorance. Apparently she was always told to never question the Bible because that would get you in trouble with God. To which I would respond, why would God get angry at us for using the brains He gave us?

Edited by StarDroid
  • Like 1

Let's tip-toe easy through this topic and not over-generalize an entire religion.

Older people just tend to say hilarious and inappropriate things. For example my grandmother still

calls Brazil nuts, "n***** toes" and believes Obama is actively setting up death camps. We don't

argue, just let them die in peace.

Edited by Jack_of_Blades
  • Like 5

Perhaps if she is as unwell as all that, her faith is what gives her a reason to keep on going.

In fact I know that's what keeps her going. I'm just stating that to firmly, completely believe an ancient religious text and to base your life around that, inconsistencies, errors, and all is just...wrong. I'm not calling her stupid, or any other fundamentalist Christians stupid, I'm just saying the level of ignorance you need to have to believe, truly believe, everything the Bible says without questioning it is pretty high.
  • Like 2

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Pretty much. At this point in time, the twenty first century, with the internet and all the rest of it, there's no excuse for such profound ignorance.

:unsure2: wow.
  • Like 4

You do know that there are thousands of people who believe the Bible? Among them are medical doctors, philosophy professors, and astronomers. You might consider finding a word other than "ignorant."

He's not saying all Christians are ignorant. Just that to fully believe every single word (as is) at face value is ignorant. And it is a little bit.

Sure it's supposed to be the "word of god". But it's the "word of god" as understood and recorded by Man over a thousand years ago and

Man is notoriously prone to errors. Even more so (I would imagine) if a being with reality at it's whim is trying to explain things to him.

• Like 3

The only problem I ever personally experienced having with religion is with my cousin.

She is a few years younger then me. One night she called me super upset because she wasn't "saved" because she was at one of those churches where people where passing out and speaking in tounges or "feeling something" and she didnt "feel" anything so she wasnt saved and she was going to hell.

It broke my heart to hear her say all this and not be able to convince her otherwise. Only time I actually felt a hatred towards a religion

• Like 2

You do know that there are thousands of people who believe the Bible? Among them are medical doctors, philosophy professors, and astronomers. You might consider finding a word other than "ignorant."

I don't mean believe the Bible as in, a few verses here and there, like I said, I mean the ENTIRE thing, without question. Another word for ignorant? How about uninformed?

Edited by StarDroid
  • Like 1

As for the OP. From my observations of myself and others when someone gets dis-proportionality angry about an opposing view it is because it makes you feel insecure about your view. threatens your faith so you react in the offense.

Only in extreme anger towards. Not saying yours is but you might want to introspect yourself because it could be based on the gut feeling I get from reading your post. at a young age its common to react that way. I assume your young. No offense intended

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

And I'll tell you why. A few days ago I had a visit from my great-aunt on my mother's side. She's one of these people who was raised to believe the Bible is the literal word of God. It really made me angry when she was talking about the Bible and how it was the infallible word of God. At one point she said that this country was founded on Christian principles, which of course it wasn't. It made me sad to realize how deeply ingrained into her all this brainwashing was. I could have very easily refuted her claims but I didn't for the following reasons: one, she's nearly eighty years old. Two, to be honest I don't think she has much to live for, except her family and going to church. She has diverticulitis, arrythmia, her knees are shot and need to be operated on but the operation can't happen because of her knees. On top of that she has cataracts in both eyes and can hardly see. She's a mess for sure and I feel so bad for her that I would never take away from her religion and God and the Bible. Her husband passed a few years back and she's a widow, living by herself in a house that's too big for her.

She's a dear, sweet woman and I never would do anything to make her sad or angry at me. So, me being me, I said nothing and smiled and nodded but at the same time I was thinking, You're my great-aunt and I do love you to death, but you're wrong about the Bible being the word of God and the rest of it.

And still, she doesn't blame God. God bless her . Though I'm wondering what was your true motive in posting this thread ? Your aunt is correct in that America very much so depended on christian principles, like it or not , she's right.

• Like 1

People will believe what they want to believe and that shouldn't worry you or make you angry, You know what you believe but not everybody will think the same as you. I'm not a religious person myself but other people can think what they want, So long as they don't try to tell me what to believe, or shove their beliefs down my throat.

It takes all sorts.

Edited by CatFromHell
  • Like 4

As for the OP. From my observations of myself and others when someone gets dis-proportionality angry about an opposing view it is because it makes you feel insecure about your view. threatens your faith so you react in the offense.

Only in extreme anger towards. Not saying yours is but you might want to introspect yourself because it could be based on the gut feeling I get from reading your post. at a young age its common to react that way. I assume your young. No offense intended

Believe me, I have done some introspecting. And I keep coming to the conclusion that organized religion just ain't my thing because I see what it does to others, and I don't want to be that way, in that I would be the sort of person telling you, FOR SURE, this religion is absolute correct for x y and z reasons and God help you if you disagree - and I've witnessed this for myself. As for a young age, I'm 32. Young enough, I guess.
  • Like 2

He's not saying all Christians are ignorant. Just that to fully believe every single word (as is) at face value is ignorant. And it is a little bit.

Sure it's supposed to be the "word of god". But it's the "word of god" as understood and recorded by Man over a thousand years ago and

Man is notoriously prone to errors. Even more so (I would imagine) if a being with reality at it's whim is trying to explain things to him.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I don't mean believe the Bible as in, a few verses here and there, like I said, I mean the ENTIRE thing, without question. Another word for ignorant? How about uninformed?

Well, we do accept the Bible as a complete document. We trust that if God wants us to know Him, He's going to give us everything we need in order to do so.

Believe me, I have done some introspecting. And I keep coming to the conclusion that organized religion just ain't my thing because I see what it does to others, and I don't want to be that way, in that I would be the sort of person telling you, FOR SURE, this religion is absolute correct for x y and z reasons and God help you if you disagree - and I've witnessed this for myself. As for a young age, I'm 32. Young enough, I guess.

I understand what you're saying but the truth is you're steadfast enough in your beliefs to know that nobody will change them, Just as I expect your great aunt is, Its pointless to get worked up about something you'll never change.

Your great aunt is from a different generation and if in her last few years her beliefs give her a bit of comfort, What's the problem, Just smile and nod at what she says then get on with your day.

Edited by CatFromHell
  • Like 2

Your great aunt is from a different generation and if in her last few years her beliefs give her a bit of comfort, What's the problem, Just smile and nod at what she says then get on with your day.

Yeah like I said in my original post, that's exactly what I did - smile and nod. But it still just blows my mind that people would believe all this stuff without going "Hey, this and this seem a little funky and I can't jibe with this. I'm going to go do some research on it and see what the actual truth is." Edited by StarDroid

Yeah like I said in my original post, that's exactly what I did - smile and nod. But it still just blows my mind that people would believe all this stuff without going "Hey, this and this seem a little funky and I can't jibe with this. I'm going to go do some research on it and see what the actual truth is."

Well, Due to your great aunt's cataracts, I doubt going online and doing some research would be very productive for her would it. Live and let live.

• Like 5

Well, we do accept the Bible as a complete document. We trust that if God wants us to know Him, He's going to give us everything we need in order to do so.

No offense, but don't you think that if your God wanted you to know Him, He would've told you so already? If the Bible is the infallible world of God, then wouldn't it describe in great detail the inner workings of the universe? Wouldn't it tell you EXACTLY everything about the universe that you ever wondered about?

The bible does give you everything you need to "know him". And it still all doesn't have to be 100% literal for him to lead you to finding "Him".

No offense, but don't you think that if your God wanted you to know Him, He would've told you so already? If the Bible is the infallible world of God, then wouldn't it describe in great detail the inner workings of the universe? Wouldn't it tell you EXACTLY everything about the universe that you ever wondered about?

I would argue that he wouldn't. If a creator exists the breadth of his knowledge would be so vast that it would be nearly incomprehensible to us. So he would

need to dumb it down: "Okay so I built all this in seven days" and other examples.

• Like 4

Also based on how she was raised and what her parents were like they may have taught her not to question the bible and what not.

• Like 2