Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Black Dog/Wolf

Loanwolf

The other night I was awoken by a sound. I opened my eyes expecting to tell my dog to get off the futon she likes to sneak onto. Instead, staring right at me from about 3 feet away was a very large black dog/wolf. It startled me but, strangely, I wasn't filled w fear! I just stared at in amazement! The detail around the mouth was so vivid. The eyes were unremarkable but its size was huge! Easily a 150 lbs.

But, I did say out loud "WTF?!?!" As soon as I said that, it disappeared and my dog came up to me. What do you make of this?

My dog had been laying in front of the door and I could see her in my peripheral vision while I was looking at the wolf. There is No way I could have mistaken what I saw as my dog. I have never seen a wolf in real life before so I can't say for sure that's what it was but it was definitely bigger than any dog I've ever seen. And, I have a Great Pyreneese!

Sound like you were still in a dream state. Your dogs would have woke you.

• Like 1

The thought did cross my mind so the next day I asked my boyfriend if he remembered me saying "wtf?" in the middle of the night. He did. So, I knew I didn't dream it up. I am accustomed to waking up in the middle of the night because of my dogs. I know I was awake. If anything, I tried to tell myself it was my mind playing tricks on me. That my mind generated that which it expected to see in the absence of light.

But I am open to other possibilities. I'm always in search of the truth.

There is a old legend of the Black Hound. Sometimes called a Hound of ill omens. Or sometimes Ol' Shuck. It is a foreshadower of hard times and usually of someone close to you dying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)

A black dog is the name given to a being found primarily in the folklores of the British Isles. The black dog is essentially a nocturnal apparition, often said to be associated with the Devil, and its appearance was regarded as a portent of death. It is generally supposed to be larger than a normal dog, and often has large, glowing eyes. It is often associated with electrical storms (such as Black Shuck's appearance at Bungay, Suffolk), and also with crossroads, places of execution and ancient pathways.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mr. Diechecker, I am just now seeing this reply and thought I'd give some feedback. I had that vision on Oct.13. My mom died of a sudden heart attack on Nov. 22, 5 weeks later. It seems your interpretation was right on. In fact, 24 hours after the vision, my whole world began to crumble. Thankfully, I have made it through the dark night of the soul and have landed on my feet. I owe my gratitude to the wolf spirit; no matter what name he goes by. It led me to a path of shamanism that gave me the strength needed to get through the worst chapter of my life. Thank you for your response. It was very validating for me.

• Like 1

You're Great Pyrenees dog is described as:

It was developed to be agile in order to guard sheep on steep, mountainous slopes.[4] According to the Great Pyrenees Club of America, the Great Pyrenees is naturally nocturnal and aggressive with any predators that may harm its flock. However, the breed can typically be trusted with small, young, and helpless animals of any kind due to its natural guardian instinct.[5]

The Black Dog could have taken an interest in your Pyrenees when you take it out for a walk in the woods perhaps. You may have dreamt a real encounter which occured sometime earlier when out with your dog. It's a possiblity which crossed my mind.

Sounds like you were lucid dreaming. There are plenty of threads on that here in other parts of the forum. Unless you have a habit of leaving your doors or windows wide open while you sleep and you live in an area where wolves are present, the likelihood that a real wolf was in your bedroom, without alerting your dogs and then vanished when you spoke the magical incantation "wtf?" seems pretty remote.

Go research lucid dreaming. You didn't see a real wolf.

Have you studied up on this? Some people have claimed to see "devil dogs", ghostly large black dogs that are usually a bad omen, but can also be protectors of a certain area, similar to what Die Checker was explaining

• Like 1

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s crime novel The Hound of the Baskervilles was inspired by the Black Shuck legend, which Doyle heard while playing golf at Cromer.

There is a panel picture/reference to Shuck in the comic book Hector Plasm: De Mortius, and an appearance in Supernatural: Origins comics. Philip Pullman mentions it in Northern Lights, the 1995 opener of His Dark Materials trilogy, as an animal-made shape-shifter of a soul.

British rock band The Darkness wrote a song called Black Shuck on their hit album Permission to Land.

Singer-songwriter Nick Drake wrote and recorded Black-Eyed Dog, drawing freely on the legend’s foretelling doom and death.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by CharlieCluster7
  • Like 2

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s crime novel The Hound of the Baskervilles was inspired by the Black Shuck legend, which Doyle heard while playing golf at Cromer.

There is a panel picture/reference to Shuck in the comic book Hector Plasm: De Mortius, and an appearance in Supernatural: Origins comics. Philip Pullman mentions it in Northern Lights, the 1995 opener of His Dark Materials trilogy, as an animal-made shape-shifter of a soul.

British rock band The Darkness wrote a song called Black Shuck on their hit album Permission to Land.

Singer-songwriter Nick Drake wrote and recorded Black-Eyed Dog, drawing freely on the legend’s foretelling doom and death.

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks for the music connection! Very interesting, although I don't like the phrase "..legend’s foretelling doom and death". I prefer the Green Man protector of the forests imagery. Hey, great song!!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the music connection! Very interesting, although I don't like the phrase "..legend’s foretelling doom and death". I prefer the Green Man protector of the forests imagery. Hey, great song!!

Nick Drake wrote this song 4 months before he died.

I used to have a photo of a friend's black Great Pyreneese on a rock in a river. Some distance from the camera.

A quick glance at the photo or not knowing what it is, it didn't look like a wolf, but sure looked like a bear! He loved the woods.

Edited by QuiteContrary

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be clear I don't think there was a "real" wolf in my closed home that disappeared w the help of a magical word. I claim to be no expert but my thoughts on the matter are this. I believe i was in what the shamans call "non ordinary reality". Some people would call it the spirit world. Scientifically speaking, my brain waves were the same as being in a light trance. However, I was very much aware of my surroundings and not asleep or dreaming. In this state, I was able to perceive the energy of wolf spirit whose significance profoundly changed my life for the better. Although, it's true, he did come as an omen of many bad things to come. Ultimately, wolf medicine taught me that my loyalty to my pack members was fierce to the point of self destruction. That pretty much sums up how my life unfolded over the next 9 weeks after the vision. Even through my tribulations, I still felt the wolfs loyalty, protection and wisdom surrounding me. This is my truth.

• Like 1

"Ultimately, wolf medicine taught me that my loyalty to my pack members was fierce to the point of self destruction."

Perhaps this was part of the omen? Think of the Wolf Medicine as a diacotomy. It can be positive or negative. The death of a close loved one, could have led to an unhealthy level of "loyalty to the pack", bordering on obsession (feirce nature leading to self-destruction), which can cloud reason (wisdom of the wolf).