Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

'Warlock' alowed to break curfew on full moon

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,990 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

For  a warlock who worships the goddess of the moon,  curfews can be a bit of a hindrance.

So when Cerwyn Jones found himself being punished by a court for carrying a five-inch ceremonial knife in a pub he was quick to plead special Wiccan circumstances.

The 52-year-old was sentenced to four months of staying indoors between the hours of 7pm and 7am.

But magistrates agreed to suspend the order on four nights after hearing he needed to go out during a full moon to practise his Wicca faith.

Wicca or white witchcraft is a neo-pagan religion which saw a resurgence in popularity in the 20th century.

Its followers believe the whole cosmos is alive and as such the waxing, waning and full moon are extremely important.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

Government Agent

• 3,285 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

So will he also be allowed to carry his knife on those nights as well?

#3    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Sorry, but "The Law is an Ass" springs to mind.

Posted Image

#4    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

So a man who happened to have a knife on him, drinking a soft drink and presumably not bothering anyone is sentenced to 4 months probation.

And all the stories I hear of mobs of 'chavs' running wild over neighborhoods over there...

Interesting justice system.

Embrace the impossible.

#5    Ms. Anita Cigarette.

Ms. Anita Cigarette.

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

• It don't pay to be nice, but it's nice to pay. xo

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

That's the design, tho! Once they get you in or fine your ass, your in the system for good & soon they will be pulling you over on the way home from work, too. That's ANOTHER fine to pay & more cops to deal with. It's a brutal system & it's a huge money maker.

#6    zooage

zooage

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Free Tibet

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Around here everyone carries a knife to the bar. Most carry guns as well. Maybe thats why so many of them get shot every night at closing time. Idiots.

#7    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:01 AM

View Postzooage, on 13 March 2011 - 06:51 PM, said:

Around here everyone carries a knife to the bar. Most carry guns as well. Maybe thats why so many of them get shot every night at closing time. Idiots.

lol! Survival of the fittest I say....

Edited by ColoradoParanormal, 14 March 2011 - 02:01 AM.

#8    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

Previous firearms charges and threatening to kill. Hmmm. You'd think after being sentenced to
six years in jail, he'd know not to carry knives around in public places. I don't care what his
religeon is, I don't trust this guy.

#9    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,686 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 14 March 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

You'd think after being sentenced to six years in jail, he'd know not to carry knives around in public places.

Some people never learn.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#10    lepusfelix

lepusfelix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

I would not advocate releasing a warlock with a weapon at all, be it ceremonial or otherwise. I'll explain:

The word 'warlock' means 'oath breaker' and has nothing to do with Wicca. When looking at the origins of the word, however, it seems apparent that any possible warlocks are just not Wiccan, as they do not follow the Wiccan Rede. Meanwhile I have read that many Wiccans just don't believe warlocks exist at all.

If the guy was actually a witch, and the term warlock was wrongly used, then I applaud this move to allow him to practice his religion freely, and to carry his athame.

#11    norwood1026

norwood1026

Government Agent

• 4,295 posts

• I've found a more personal, pagan kind of religion to satisfy the spiritual side of things.
    Julian Clary

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

As a Pagan I think think this story is bunk Just the face that they used the term Warlock make's this group a bunch of wannabes. As someone else said it's a term for someone who was kicked out for breaking the rules of a covern.

What is sweeter then mead? Intimate  conversation
WHat is blacker then the Raven?     Death
What is whiter then snow?  Truth.
What is swifter then the wind?   Thought.
What is sharper then the sword?  Understanding.

#12    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I have never ceased to be amazed at the endless variety of behaviors that humans are capable of, especially the really unconscious one's, it's just awesome.

Sometimes all you can do is just shake your head.

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,806 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm sort of curious what type of ceremony happens in a pub. Most practitioners I know don't carry their ceremonial objects around with them when going to the bar, or in public in general. Or have the tendency to go to the pub on the same evening of a ceremony.
I'm not doubting the guys faith.. but this is kind of fishy to me.

#14    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

View Postnorwood1026, on 17 March 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

As a Pagan I think think this story is bunk Just the face that they used the term Warlock make's this group a bunch of wannabes. As someone else said it's a term for someone who was kicked out for breaking the rules of a covern.

It's england dear... they tend to call many things different then we here.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#15    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Wait, so Sikhs are alowed to carry thier little curved blades, but Wiccans are not?

Seems highly one sided to me.

The law in the UK states.

"Any Fixed blade or non-fixed blade with a lnegth in excess of three inches is automaticly considered an offensive weapon unless the defendant can prove otherwise".

Essentially, a fixed blade, or non-fixed blade greater than 3 inches is assumed to be "offensive" and you will be arrested if found carrying one unless you can prove you have a legitimate reason for carrying it.  Any non-fixed blade under 3 inches, like the smaller swiss army knife for example is NOT assumed to be an offensive weapon, and you can only be arrested if using it in an offensive manner, or in conjunction with anything that effects your state of mind like drink or drugs.

Now one could take the view that the mans faith legitimises his carrying of a fixed blade, its dodgy ground though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users