Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Believers flock to 'crying' Virgin Mary statue

UM-Bot

news icon rCarrying rosary beads and cameras, the faithful have been coming in a steady stream to a church on the outskirts of Sacramento for a glimpse of what some are calling a miracle: A statue of the Virgin Mary they say has begun crying a substance that looks like blood.

It was first noticed more than a week ago, when a priest at the Vietnamese Catholic Martyrs Church spotted a stain on the statue's face and wiped it away.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo! News

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CyberDyne

• RedRaider9981

• Deck Duelist

• Welsh Shaun

So how long is it going to take before someone gets to test this "blood"?

I don't get it, why would anyone believe a statue is crying? It is physically impossible. I am not sure what it is made of, but if it is solid, then where does it come from?

Simply investigating the eye for small holes that could hide some internal contraption or other reason would be good. If there is no such thing, you can be sure that someone has smeared this stuff on the statue.

God, it would take scientists about 10 mins to determine if this is blood of some sort or just red paint or something.

God, it would take scientists about 10 mins to determine if this is blood of some sort or just red paint or something.

You would think?

Just gets me, the number of people all over the world that believe that these statues cry etc

If the almighty can create an entire universe in a matter of days don't you think he could make a wee statue bleed a bit?

Well, I am not a religious person ("no duh" right? :)) so I don't take the bible into consideration when I see things like this.

All I know is that no materials you make statues of tend to transform into blood, or spawn blood at random.

I just think things like these are far too vague for people to get so excited about. I mean, right now there could be a painter somewhere going: "Wait a second, wasn't that the statue I was working above when I was painting the roof of that place last week?".

I mean, have they even considered that someone could just have walked by and smeared it on like a prank? Because if that yields these kinds of results, I know I wouldn't mind doing it from time to time (although in all seriousness I wouldn't since I am the kind of person who likes a good "real" mystery, and those are nearly impossible to find due to all the fake stuff people conjur up out of boredom or the need for some quick cash).

Edited by CyberDyne

I'm pretty darn surprised if the "blood" hasn't been tested yet.

Maybe the scientists and such are finding it hard to wade through all the believers and get near the statue. o_o

It says in the text that the statue is encaged, and as such might be off-limits to anyone. And the church might not be too happy that people in white coats are coming there either. If the statue is someones property they could deny access I guess.

why is it that anything that cries blood is holy and a miracle... sounds strange, if it was holy woudn't it cry pure-er water or, I dunno, rainbows?

its all a fake story to swing people over to that church so the church gets money <_< or even publicity.

Edited by Leliel

Surely it's in the Churches benefit to let the scientists in, after all if it really is blood then you can get Mary's DNA on file and potentially clone your own Jesus!

Now THAT'S playing God :innocent:

why is it that anything that cries blood is holy and a miracle... sounds strange, if it was holy woudn't it cry pure-er water or, I dunno, rainbows?

its all a fake story to swing people over to that church so the church gets money <_< or even publicity.

I agree with your post.

What's so holy about a statue leaking "blood"? :rofl:

Also, I find it sad that so many people would waste the gas on a trip to see it.

Surely it's in the Churches benefit to let the scientists in, after all if it really is blood then you can get Mary's DNA on file and potentially clone your own Jesus!

Now THAT'S playing God :innocent:

Someone always makes a topic worth reading. :lol:

it's all idolatry, like praying to a saint, or praying to mary is idolatry. imo

if it's "real" it's a deception, if it's "fake" we need it proved somehow, someday. Some scientist should bum rush one of these statues some day, swab it, an run out an let us know the results.

"a statue that cries is a miracle if you ask me."

I agree, but right now all it is is a statue with somethign red smeared on it.

Edited by CyberDyne

I do believe that the vatican should be sending someone to "investigate" if this is real or not. They will test and do all sorts of things to find out if it's a true miracle or a hoax......

:blush: I actually like to see articles like this from time to time. As stated a cement statue crying what looks like blood can be faked. And simple tests on sight will determine what and how. But over the years some things have defied scientific explanation. And that is a good thing. This would mean we as a people are not as "All Knowing " as we think we are. Thats what draws us to Unexplained Mysteries.

We live in a time of Scientific Miracles. Why not a Religious miracle as well? It may cut down some of our "Presumed Arrogance" of some! :tu:

:blush: I actually like to see articles like this from time to time. As stated a cement statue crying what looks like blood can be faked. And simple tests on sight will determine what and how. But over the years some things have defied scientific explanation. And that is a good thing. This would mean we as a people are not as "All Knowing " as we think we are. Thats what draws us to Unexplained Mysteries.

We live in a time of Scientific Miracles. Why not a Religious miracle as well? It may cut down some of our "Presumed Arrogance" of some! :tu:

I'm only drawn to UM for things that even science cannot not explain, not something that someone doesn't want science to figure out.

If anything, I'm annoyed that the church would make such claims and then prevent any factual proof to be collected. If it is true, the church should be happy to atleast give away a small portion of the blood to scientist.

if it's "real" it's a deception

That makes no sense .

People are probobly getting tired of it always being the same miracle . I wonder when scam artists will think of something original ... sheesh ...

*Bakes another peice of bread with fake image of mary on it and pawns it off on ebay*

( note : That was a joke . I wouldn't actually do that )

Edited by Xenojjin

In today's world of nano technology, ipods, space shuttles and more we still hv old world beliefs regarding these topics...Virgin Mary shedding tears of blood??I believe in God and a Supreme Divine governing the universe but not this!!A few people from the Scientific Dept of Sacramento can go down to the place, take the sample of the so-called "blood" and say test and tell u if it really is the Blood of Virgin Mary...my my if it is forensic experts can come down get a DNA test and let us know about virgin mary;s blood group and find out about Jesus and keep contests as to whose bloog grp matches hers and wow take a surprise gift home!!

Plz ppl need to wake up and get a life!!i cannot believe nobody's even gettin the "blood" sample tested!!!For God's sake this is a publicity stunt and ppl flockin to see it is such a waste of time n money!!

:wacko:

user posted imageuser posted imageCarrying rosary beads and cameras, the faithful have been coming in a steady stream to a church on the outskirts of Sacramento for a glimpse of what some are calling a miracle: A statue of the Virgin Mary they say has begun crying a substance that looks like blood. It was first noticed more than a week ago, when a priest at the Vietnamese Catholic Martyrs Church spotted a stain on the statue's face and wiped it away. Before Mass on Nov. 20, people again noticed a reddish substance near the eyes of the white concrete statue outside the small church, said Ky Truong, 56, a parishioner.Since then, Truong said he has been at the church day and night, so emotional he can't even work. He believes the tears are a sign."There's a big event in the future — earthquake, flood, a disease," Truong said. "We're very sad."On Saturday, tables in front of the fenced-in statue were jammed with potted plants, bouquets of roses and candles. Some people prayed silently, while others sang hymns and hugged their children.

An elderly woman in a wheelchair wept near the front of the crowd.A red trail could be seen from the side of the statue's left eye to about halfway down the robe of concrete."I think that it's incredible. It's a miracle. Why is she doing it? Is it something bothering her?" asked Maria Vasquez, 35, who drove with her parents and three children from Stockton, about 50 miles south of Sacramento.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo! News

i think this is kinda stupid its probly muddy water fromrain or somthing running out from a small hole in the coner of its eye i find these kinda events dumb

ps i believe in god but i do not follow him and i think if you dont not follow god why should you follow his laws so i say if you dont follow god you can sin all you want with out punishments

yeah this bunk, why oh why do people of faith(catholics) still worship idols?

does it not say in thier bible not to worship idols or images of God/jesus about a thousand times?

anyway those in the know, know that the stone you miss is the stone you stumble over.

lol, its always something. its not until god himself comes down will you stop asking these questions.

there have been so many "verified" miracles by the vatican in recent times. and not to say that the vatican is a reliable source but they do try to disprove the claims and test the blood and etc.

another lame hoax by the church. you can probably buy these by the dozen in the 'Christian Miracle Catologue'.

it would be soo easy to prove these are pathetic attempts at creating a "miracle". but im sure the scientist arent allowed to.

these crying statues are as much as a mircale as the grilled "mary" cheese sandwich.