Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Domestic cats are 95% tiger

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postealdwita, on 01 October 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Looks like they've already started.....

Posted Image

Good God! I'd like to see the original picture that was uploaded to photobucket. I'm having a hard time believing it's genuine.

#17    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

View Postredhen, on 01 October 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Good God! I'd like to see the original picture that was uploaded to photobucket. I'm having a hard time believing it's genuine.

Well, real photo or not, there are some really big cats. According to the website "Cat World", "Himmy" of Cairns, Australia is the heaviest recorded domestic cat at 21.3 kg or 46.8 lbs. That's a lot of kitty.

#18    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostSundew, on 02 October 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

Well, real photo or not, there are some really big cats. According to the website "Cat World", "Himmy" of Cairns, Australia is the heaviest recorded domestic cat at 21.3 kg or 46.8 lbs. That's a lot of kitty.

That was an extremely obese cat...not "big" by any standard...

#19    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,757 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

So I guess 5% makes the difference between being pals or being din-din.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#20    EtherialNight

EtherialNight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

It's real that is a Main coon kitty, a large species of Cat. I want one! They are related to the Norwegian Forest cat.

#21    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Meow, rowwwrrr!!

I used to love watching my 2 cats hunt their "kill" in unison... such teamwork until it was time to decide who gets the sunny spot by the window, or who gets the human mommy's lap.  Definitely "tigers"  :D

Edited by Lava_Lady, 02 October 2013 - 06:53 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#22    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

loved the snow leopard pix at the start of the story.
  I have always wondered  why small cats are able to be domesticated  while the bigger cats  can not be. I would love to have a snow leopard as an animal companion.   ( They are wild and I am smart enough not to try but I would still love it. they are beautiful.)

#23    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 03 October 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

loved the snow leopard pix at the start of the story.
  I have always wondered  why small cats are able to be domesticated  while the bigger cats  can not be. I would love to have a snow leopard as an animal companion.   ( They are wild and I am smart enough not to try but I would still love it. they are beautiful.)

Are you talking about this guy?

Posted Image

He's a Siberian White Tiger, according to the caption in the article.
Unless I missed some other pics.  :)

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#24    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

No, snow leopards have spots, like these cubs.  http://s1.ibtimes.co...ow-leopards.jpg

Posted Image

Everybody go "awww"

Edited by redhen, 03 October 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#25    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 03 October 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

Posted Image

I don't know about Siberian, I am not That good at Iding tigers, but the above cat  is definitely a white tiger and no he isn't what I was talking about  when I read the UM home page story  this thread was linked to / started by  there was what looked to me like a snow leopard at the top of the story  they looked  very different from white Tigers, at least to me.
  the cubs in the post above this one are snow leopards, and they both look annoyed

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 03 October 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#26    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 03 October 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I don't know about Siberian, I am not That good at Iding tigers, but the above cat  is definitely a white tiger and no he isn't what I was talking about  when I read the UM home page story  this thread was linked to / started by  there was what looked to me like a snow leopard at the top of the story  they looked  very different from white Tigers, at least to me.
  the cubs in the post above this one are snow leopards, and they both look annoyed

Yeah, I don't think you would have mistaken them.  They have very different markings.  Perhaps the mistake was noticed and pic replaced?

Like most young of any species, they probably hate to sit still to take pics!  lol

#27    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Postg00dfella, on 02 October 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

That was an extremely obese cat...not "big" by any standard...

Please...

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#28    Novella

Novella

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• All the things that I find beautiful have a darkness about them.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 03 October 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

Posted Image

The breeding of the white tigers has always been something that p***ed me off. They're inbred due to the gene that makes them white being recessive. Fathers bred with daughters and mothers with their sons. I mean, think about the chances of survival of a white animal in their natural habitat--the exception being animals in the arctic or colder regions of the globe. It just wouldn't happen. I've read circumstances of the mother abandoning the white cub because of how it stands out in its environment, making them both a target to other predators. Also, imagine should the white animal amazingly reach adulthood; as predators, the prey would easily be able to pick up on its presence. Zoos are culprits for over-breeding their tigers because of the draw of people who pay to come and see them. They're always cross-eyed since the optical nerve is usually always opposite of what it should be, along with other problems caused wholly upon the inbreeding. Ugh. End rant. And I wasn't targeting your answer in particular, but ever since I discovered this information it's kind of driven me insane to the point I can't keep my "mouth" shut xD

Here's a link if you're interested on something backing my argument:
http://bigcatrescue....s/white-tigers/

This is only one of many reasons why I really don't like the human species AS a species. We do more bad than good and the animals and the environment suffer for it. :(

But back to the actual topic here xD
I've always thought my cats were miniature tigers anyway. Though, I'm sure the human race will find a way to take advantage of the feline species even further. Maybe there'll be a new underground market where you can get a jumbo sized domesticated cat and we'll have no reason to appreciate the actual wild kin of our furry friends -_-

Edited by Novella, 14 October 2013 - 09:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users