Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N Korea nuclear disabling on track, U.S. says

Lt_Ripley

North Korea nuclear disabling on track, U.S. says

2 hours, 44 minutes ago

North Korea is on track to disable its nuclear program by the end of this year as its differences with the United States have mostly been resolved, a U.S. envoy said on Tuesday.

As a team of atomic experts prepared to travel to North Korea, U.S. negotiator Christopher Hill was upbeat as he arrived in Beijing for talks with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Kye-gwan.

Hill had previously spoken of problems with North Korea over defining the depth of disablement.

"There are some issues that need to be finalized, but we're beyond the issue that I described a month ago where we wanted to do more and they wanted to do less," Hill told reporters. "I think we're okay on that point."

North Korea agreed earlier this month to disable its nuclear program by the end of 2007, following six-way talks that group the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, Russia and host China.

North Korea also pledged to make a full declaration of its atomic programs by the end of the year, and Hill said discussions on that would begin in the next few weeks.

In exchange, the impoverished and isolated country will receive energy aid, as well as better relations with Washington. The United States will also move toward taking North Korea off a U.S. terrorism blacklist.

The moves follows a breakthrough February deal under which North Korea -- which tested a nuclear device last year in defiance of international warnings -- shut down and sealed its Yongbyon nuclear plant and admitted U.N. atomic inspectors.

An expert team will head to the North on Thursday, to push forward the process of disablement, Hill said.

But there are still thorny issues ahead, including the question of whether North Korea has a uranium enrichment program.

Hill said he would also discuss proliferation with North Korea, following reports that it supplied nuclear know-how to Syria.

"Obviously as we go forward, we need to go forward in a spirit of increasing openness and trust, and to achieve that, we need to know if things have happened in the past, and be assured that if things have happened in the past they won't happen in the future," he said.

Hill is to meet Kim on Wednesday and hold talks with the Chinese side, before flying to Seoul and Tokyo.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said Kim would also hold talks with Chinese officials.

A huge baseball fan, Hill will also attend a reception with baseball great Cal Ripken, who is in Beijing as a goodwill ambassador for the United States.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071030/pl_nm/...north_hill_dc_2

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unlimited

• Lt_Ripley

• Stalker

• stevewinn

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is good news indeed. Maybe Kimbo isn't quit the wingnut as we all thought, ok now I took it to far lol. Hmm now onto Iran for a kabob and a chit chat.

Edited by The Silver Thong

I personally dont think they ever had nuclear weapons...i think they bluffed their way into a giant aid package...

I personally dont think they ever had nuclear weapons...i think they bluffed their way into a giant aid package...

Oh come now, they had something.....they tested a bomb last year, didn't they? I mean, if that wasn't a nuke, it was the biggest conventional bomb I'VE ever heard of....

Oh come now, they had something.....they tested a bomb last year, didn't they? I mean, if that wasn't a nuke, it was the biggest conventional bomb I'VE ever heard of....

They tested 7 different missiles but the Americans got nervous at the 2 long range missiles they tested. Where is the evidence that they even tested a nuke? You can't hide a nuclear explosion in this day and age you know.

they didnt test a nuke it was a bluff...

I've been finding surprisingly few articles directly stating a bomb exploded (it's been mostly "N. Korea planning bomb test" and "reaction to bomb test" and similar), though I did find these:

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4219.aspx

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/09/n_korea_nuke_test/

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/0...a.nuclear.test/

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2006-10...tent_703899.htm

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1546342,00.html

Google "north korea test nuclear bomb" if you want more.

I guess we should trust lil kim...why dont you google; how much the US based aid package is for....

credit to bush?

or do we only acknowledge his influence if it turns out N Korea is bluffing again?

actually , talks with N Korea which was tossed aside by Bushco with cons stating they would never 'appease N korea like Clinton did ' , that it was Clintons fault N Korea ended up with Nuclear weapons and thier develoupment. But ----

A cheat sheet:

Bush I: 1-2 bombs worth of plutonium

Clinton: Zero plutonium

Bush II: 10-11 bombs worth of plutonium and counting, first nuclear test

For the record, here is a timeline of North Korea’s nuclear weapons development

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/07/nk-timeline/

Yep Credit to Bush & co, This good news has come on Bush's watch, well done Mr President, :o:lol:

Yep Credit to Bush & co, This good news has come on Bush's watch, well done Mr President, :o:lol:

yea he's a foreign policy genius....what did he do?..

yea he's a foreign policy genius....what did he do?..

well everytime something goes t*ts up everyone blames Bush because it happened on 'his watch' yet if anything good happens like North Korea, he had no involvement, I thought the US was in negotiation with North Korea on getting them to disarm and rejoin the treaty and seeing that Nr Korea has agreed, i think its a job well done and the US played its part, credit where its due,

Edited by stevewinn

well everytime something goes t*ts up everyone blames Bush because it happened on 'his watch' yet if anything good happens like North Korea, he had no involvement, I thought the US was in negotiation with North Korea on getting them to disarm and rejoin the treaty and seeing that Nr Korea has agreed, i think its a job well done and the US played its part, credit where its due,

yes good for Bush and the international community. However - What Bush did was also to delay the process that was started before him. He ragged on how Clinton was handling N Korea only to end up doing what Clinton had done.

It's not hard to follow the steps that were laid out before he came into office.

Where is the evidence that they even tested a nuke? You can't hide a nuclear explosion in this day and age you know.

I definitely remember media reports of the detection of something resembling a nuclear explosion in the area at the time. This was detected from quite a few different countries.

However the reports said if it was a nuclear explosion, it was small. Possibly a dud.

It definitely didn't sound conclusive. But something was detected.

Edited by Ins0mniac

I definitely remember media reports of the detection of something resembling a nuclear explosion in the area at the time. This was detected from quite a few different countries.

However the reports said if it was a nuclear explosion, it was small. Possibly a dud.

It definitely didn't sound conclusive. But something was detected.

It was propoganda...their was no nuclear test...time will show .