Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How "Ancient Aliens" have lied to you

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#16    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,053 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 07 October 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

AA never lies to you because they always claim What if. So you got to remember that these are all just Theories. Until Proven Otherwise

No they're not. More like an intellectually stunted persons hypothesis. Actual theories can and are supported by verifiable evidence.  "What if" isn't evidence of anything other than an overactive imagination.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#17    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

We all know that with such programmes the watchword is caveat emptor, and keep your CC in your wallet.
My main objection to AA is that they seriously disparage our ancestors intelligence and abilities. What they acheived, particulary with Great Pyramid, should fill us with pride and awe at their acheivements, and to most I think it does. But to say it could only happen because of alien help is insulting. Certainly the universe is teeming with life, and some much more advanced than us, it's just that we haven't met yet, if ever.

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,781 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

my main problem with AA is that Georgio's hair disparages the Centaui from Babylon 5.

#19    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 07 October 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

AA never lies to you because they always claim What if. So you got to remember that these are all just Theories. Until Proven Otherwise
Yeah, and I can say 'What if the Internet had been created by the Fraggles'. See? 'Theory', until proven otherwise. ;D

Posted Image

~MEH~

#20    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,361 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

A very good site,and film.To be recommended if you have 3 hours to spare,it completely destroys the theories and claims by the ancient alien fringe.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#21    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

I used AA to quit drinking....oh wait...thats something else, isnt it?

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#22    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Bravo, Harte, on a valuable find. You can be sure I added the link to my Favorites.

Anything that will help us or anyone else to dispel the uninformed twaddle on that idiotic television program, is something to keep and share.

I wonder if the producers of Ancient Aliens would have the balls to invite White and Heiser onto the program? Better yet: a debate between them and von Däniken and the other dimwitted talking heads on the program. It might be pretty embarrassing, however. I mean, who wants to see von Däniken curled up on the floor in the fetal position, shaking and crying like a baby?

Well, okay, I do.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#23    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,246 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

I don't believe it is possible to debunk aliens with tripe like this;

"However, as all of this relates to the great pyramid’s construction, it’s important to remember that almost none of the pyramid is made from granite – except for a few things such as the roof supports for the king’s chamber. Most of the stones used were sandstone and limestone. About 85% of the stone used in the construction of the pyramids was relatively soft sandstone which was quarried right on site.[20]"

At least the concept that aliens were involved doesn't contradict facts.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#24    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

View Postcladking, on 08 October 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

"However, as all of this relates to the great pyramid’s construction, it’s important to remember that almost none of the pyramid is made from granite – except for a few things such as the roof supports for the king’s chamber. Most of the stones used were sandstone and limestone. About 85% of the stone used in the construction of the pyramids was relatively soft sandstone which was quarried right on site.[20]"

The concept that aliens were involved doesn't even bear consideration. Not for educated people, anyway. A misidentification of the stones used in the pyramid is far less embarrassing than suggesting aliens were involved.

But you found an obvious mistake. Heiser is not an Egyptologist and I rather doubt he is all that well versed in ancient Egyptian history, including the Great Pyramid, but the overall statement is true that the Great Pyramid is composed almost completely of soft, malleable stone. To be fair, however, were some poster here to say the same thing, I likely would jump on him.

I noted the citation Heiser used: Bob Brier, Jean-pierre Houdin. The Secret of the Great Pyramid: How One Man’s Obsession Led to the Solution of Ancient Egypt’s Greatest Mystery. Smithsonian, 2008. I don't own this book nor have I read it, but Houdin for certain is not an expert in ancient Egypt, and Brier's own expertise lies in pharaonic death and burial, as well as paleopathology. So if the error appeared in Houdin's book, it is understandable but embarrassing.

The overall approach is dead-on, however. Anyone familiar with the studies of ancient civilizations and who has also submitted himself to the painful experience of watching Ancient Aliens, knows how inept this TV program is. This program is, in fact, the greatest embarrassment.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#25    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,246 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

I very seriously doubt Houdin would make such an error and it's highly improbable
Brier might.  Houdin is very competent and intelligent and wouldn't make such an
involved misstatement of facts.  

It's very easy to tear things down but far more difficult to build something.  De-
spite this obvious truism at least one attempt to dismantle G1 failed.  

If man can't even tear it down maybe it really did require aliens to build it.  

If it's really embarrassing to believe in aliens it's only because there is so very
little evidence to support it, not because the idea is so absurd.

#26    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Maybe it's easier for some people to believe the ancient alien theories, than to bother reading the truth from academics.
Many people think that people living thousands of years ago were just plain stupid because they didn't have computers, cars, and Walmarts.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#27    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,246 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 08 October 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

Maybe it's easier for some people to believe the ancient alien theories, than to bother reading the truth from academics.
Many people think that people living thousands of years ago were just plain stupid because they didn't have computers, cars, and Walmarts.

The "truth" about many things is highly elusive.  In some cases it is simply
assumed and the facts are appended to the assumptions.  In some cases they don't
even do basic science to test the assumptions.  

Believing in aliens can make as much sense as believing in assumptions.

#28    Marks_Thoughts

Marks_Thoughts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

If aliens came here in the past they certainly would do what we do if we were on an alien planet. They would leave trash. The reason is they would not want to expend the fuel necessary to boost it back into space. Also, if you are such an advanced race why would you care if the locals ever found the trash, especially if it was not, in fact, toxic or helpful to their advancement. So, where are the plastic water bottles, the pop cans, the crating materials, anything that the aliens would not take with them upon leaving to go home or elsewhere?
It's all well and good to look at myths, grand structures, and such and fantasize. But, show me the trash or the left over something, anything, they left behind that is even remotely conclusive.

#29    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,781 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

View Postcladking, on 08 October 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

Doesn't it? There's no evidence for them though, in fact there's more evidence for giants building the pyramids then there is for aliens doing it.

#30    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,053 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

View Postcladking, on 08 October 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

I very seriously doubt Houdin would make such an error and it's highly improbable
Brier might.
Houdin is very competent and intelligent and wouldn't make such an
involved misstatement of facts.  

It's very easy to tear things down but far more difficult to build something.  De-
spite this obvious truism at least one attempt to dismantle G1 failed.  

If man can't even tear it down maybe it really did require aliens to build it.  

If it's really embarrassing to believe in aliens it's only because there is so very
little evidence to support it, not because the idea is so absurd.

Just so you know cladking, I have the entire 3.97 MB download of Brier and Houdin's book. NOWHERE in the entire 255 pages did they ever make this mistake, nor is sandstone ever mentioned.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users