Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Keeping drunk drivers from driving

Ashotep

(CBS News) CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The message from police to party-goers this New Year's Eve is: "Drive sober or get pulled over."

There were nearly 10,000 deaths from drunk driving in the U.S. last year, down 2.5 percent from the year before.

There is now a debate over technology that could prevent drunk drivers from starting their engines.

New technology to keep drunk drivers from driving

Although I don't relish meeting a drunk driver on the road I can't help but see this as something else that won't work right after the warranty is gone and will be expensive to repair.

• Like 1

I've actually heard about something like this before. It detects if you're over the drink limit and prevents you from starting the ignition on your car, or something along those lines is what I heard. Anything at all that keeps drunk drivers off the roads gets a vote from me!

How about putting it into cars of known drinkers?

How are they (who? car accessory manufacturers?) supposed to know who a known drinker is?

Or do you mean people who have been convicted of drunk driving before?

Any method that'll help save lives and still not intrude into other people's privacy is welcomed by me.

Any method that'll help save lives and still not intrude into other people's privacy is welcomed by me.

I agree. If they started to put it into all vehicles, I wouldn't have a problem if I had to do this every time I started my car if it saved lives.

It will also cut down on people borrowing each others cars. 'Can I use your car today?' 'Gotta use my breathalyzer, and I haven't changed that thing in weeks~' 'Nevermind...'

• Like 1

If you want to stop drunks from driving, make bars where people can drink and then drive illegal. And for those that do it anyway. If you kill someone while driving because you were drunk...capital punishment. If you get caught drinking and driving...you go to jail, and the state takes your vehicle. First time...every time.

• Like 1

It will also cut down on people borrowing each others cars. 'Can I use your car today?' 'Gotta use my breathalyzer, and I haven't changed that thing in weeks~' 'Nevermind...'

EEEWWWWW!!!! LOL

• Like 1

Now there is a good idea. ! ..Putting them in every vehicle would bring transportation to a near stop. How could truckers get anywhere for instance? (kidding) lol

• Like 1

New York State has already been using this. If you are convicted of a misdemeanor or felony DWI, chances are that the judge will order you to have an interlock device installed in your vehicle at your own expense.

http://www.lifesafer.com/ignition-interlock-new-york-laws/

• Like 1

It would be interesting to pursue instituting a mandatory sensor on those convicted of DUI/DWI as a federal mandate. But, further sustain this device for a period of at least ten years at the owner's expense.

Well, since driving is a privilege and not a "right", I suppose who could argue any new mandate.

Besides which, far too many completely innocent people and entire families are killed or ruined by drunk driving.

I do question the technology, though. Nearly all technology is defeatable. They did say it could take 10 years to "perfect" it to some reasonable level. But I question even that.

I would agree with some others here that MUCH tougher laws might be more effective. Not 100%, nothing is, but I think tougher laws are a better solution at this time.

We do this in Aus. Alcohol breath test ignition interlock devices for some drink drivers. However you can get around it pretty easily (Just get someone who is .00 to blow for you).

To be effective the device would need to somehow I.D the driver so it's not just someone else turning the car on for them.

• Like 1

We do this in Aus. Alcohol breath test ignition interlock devices for some drink drivers. However you can get around it pretty easily (Just get someone who is .00 to blow for you).

To be effective the device would need to somehow I.D the driver so it's not just someone else turning the car on for them.

How about a video link, linked to GPS. The driver has to show his GPS bracelet on his wrist, while blowing into the thing. And he has to pay for all of that too. Yeah!

Well, since driving is a privilege and not a "right", I suppose who could argue any new mandate.

Besides which, far too many completely innocent people and entire families are killed or ruined by drunk driving.

I do question the technology, though. Nearly all technology is defeatable. They did say it could take 10 years to "perfect" it to some reasonable level. But I question even that.

I would agree with some others here that MUCH tougher laws might be more effective. Not 100%, nothing is, but I think tougher laws are a better solution at this time.

It's not so much tougher laws, as it should be better enforcement of those laws, or possibly harsher punishments. Laws - no matter how tough they are written - are meaningless unless they are properly enforced, and the punishment is propertional. First offense, where no innocents are injured - $10,000.00 fine and loss of license for a year. Socond offense, same fine AND 90 days in jail. No wavering, no pleading for a lesser punishment.

How about a video link, linked to GPS. The driver has to show his GPS bracelet on his wrist, while blowing into the thing. And he has to pay for all of that too. Yeah!

Hey that could work!

Fingerprint scanner for ID while testing alcohol content in the blood of the fingertip could be okay.

• Like 1

A so called "Alcohol Lock" has already been in practice for a while now in certain parts of Europe.

Convicted drunk drivers can be ordered to have it installed in the car. The car won't start if your alcoholperentage is higher than 0.2.

i laughed at all of these... as long as alcohol is available or producible (which it will be, probably loooong after humanity has had it's time in the history of the Earth. People will find a way to drive drunk (or high, stoned, geeked, geetered, tweaked, phased, wasted, baked, hammered, pounded(lol), shmammered, schmammer-faced,et-cetera) and thus there will be people who never even get busted nor kill anyone (or even kill their car/themselves), who will die in their sleep at 81 years of age. Basically why even debate it. The laws may prevent someone from driving drunk but most people I have seen/heard/witnessed/ drove or did not drive with the prospect of potentially killing themselves or a person or number of people in mind(or were warned verbally by friends that they; "may get killed, or kill someone") Morality and one's ability to maintain morality even under the influence of alcohol or drugs is the strongest factor in the drunk driving equation.

Why even debate it? Why fight any crime?

Maintaining morality isn't usually the question with alcohol related deaths. The people think they are being moral, but they are impaired. You can drive many times under the influence but it only takes one mistake because of the impairment.

You don't hear of many people who drink and then get in their car because the alcohol makes them want to crash and kill people...

The only issue of morality is if you should drive under the influence or not.

thats sounds like an amazing idea it would prevent accidents and saves lives but where i'm worried is that i hope and that it does not come with a tracking device or some type of tracking chip or spyware on it that allows the government to hear our conversations and etc.because i'm worried to even think how far they would go.and whose going to make them these devices by any chance?but other than that that will save lives definately though.

This system has been implemented in Colorado for several years, any second offence drunk driver has to have one but you know, as with any tech today, for any state sponsored law there are going to be 100 new ways to go around it so I call it stoopid and just another gimmick to give law makers a conscience albeit they don't have one. It's just going to make cars less affordable for everyone that's all. No technology nor laws can replace common sense. Oh and before anyone write something about loosing someone or other crap of a sort: On April 25 69 I lost my older brother to a drunk driver and on April 25 71, I had a blanket over my body after a motorcycle accident involving another drunk.... I got lucky, someone saw a twich in my hand and told the paramedics. And no I didn't remember white lights and no one came for me.

More laws only means more revenues .......... but not for those who have to work daily.

please dont remove free will from bad decision making...

• Like 1

Maybe we could:

Legalize drinking and driving.

Make causing an accident while DUI a mandated Capital Offense...hang in public, three days after conviction.

I first encountered this topic in a debate on eQuibbly and I'm not sure if people will be happy about getting locked out of their car if the breathalyzer malfunctions. Imagine that.