Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do atheists get a hard time?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

There are alot of different topics on this forum and throughout society, in which people cast their opinion on something 'unexplained'. I've seen people imply that ghosts, UFO's astral projection and cryptids don't exist, and those who believe in them are wrong or deluded. So when an atheist says to a religious person that they are wrong or deluded, why are they vilified? Why then are they told they are going to hell, deluded, evil, enemies of the faith, so readily by some believers? It seems that some topics are ok to mock but religion is a no no. I think that's unfair. I hate seeing people have their beliefs of UFO's, cryptids and the paranormal cast aside by many and pigeonholed as ridiculous, but yet it happens - not just on this forum but throughout society.
So why is it that when atheists stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, do they often get attacked by believers? Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,511 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

theres a polite way to show that you disagree, never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum. i could copy and post loads of hate against christians but theres not as much hate towards atheists. pls prove me wrong and post all the anti atheist comments you can find.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,857 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

So when I explain in a calm logical and uninsulting fashion to alien visitation believers why they are probably not right about it, you miss the part where they get mad and insulting?

#4    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,432 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostBling, on 02 October 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

So why is it that when atheists stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, do they often get attacked by believers? Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?
Possibly one contributory factor might be that the more militant (i.e. Dawkinsian) Atheists always seem to want to perpetually point out how they're Rational and have overcome Old fashioned Superstition, and the feeling of intellectual superiority and smugness that this tends to put across. And also, of course, the way that Dawkinisian Atheists invariably seem to be on a crusade to convert the believers, you might say, which is always highly ironic since that's what they always accuse "religious" people of constantly doing. It is, of course, wrong for Religious people to do this, but it's entirely right and indeed, essential for Rational people (i.e. Atheists) to do it. This might be seen by some as hypocritical. If all that they wanted to do was stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, I'm sure no one would have any problem with that at all, but it always feels like you're being shouted at all the time.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

No more then anyone else.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 02 October 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

theres a polite way to show that you disagree, never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum. i could copy and post loads of hate against christians but theres not as much hate towards atheists. pls prove me wrong and post all the anti atheist comments you can find.

I wasn't just talking just about this forum, I am talking about society in general. I really haven't the time to finds quotes to satisfy you, find them yourself. Some christians have preached on here, and in society in general they will critisise an atheist for not believing in something they hold firm. I did when I was a christian.

typo :rolleyes:

Edited by Bling, 02 October 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#7    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostOverSword, on 02 October 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

So when I explain in a calm logical and uninsulting fashion to alien visitation believers why they are probably not right about it, you miss the part where they get mad and insulting?

Why do you feel the need to say they probably aren't right? Do you know for sure there has been no alien visitation?

#8    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostHasina, on 02 October 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

No more then anyone else.

I agree somewhat. I think christians, or any other faith follower can be treated as a nutter who believes in fairytales - I know I was when I was a christian. They get a hard time too.

#9    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

View Post747400, on 02 October 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Possibly one contributory factor might be that the more militant (i.e. Dawkinsian) Atheists always seem to want to perpetually point out how they're Rational and have overcome Old fashioned Superstition, and the feeling of intellectual superiority and smugness that this tends to put across. And also, of course, the way that Dawkinisian Atheists invariably seem to be on a crusade to convert the believers, you might say, which is always highly ironic since that's what they always accuse "religious" people of constantly doing. It is, of course, wrong for Religious people to do this, but it's entirely right and indeed, essential for Rational people (i.e. Atheists) to do it. This might be seen by some as hypocritical. If all that they wanted to do was stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, I'm sure no one would have any problem with that at all, but it always feels like you're being shouted at all the time.

And what about the none militant atheists? All you've done here is turn my point around. Don't you think being told you are a sinner and going to hell feels just the same as being shouted at?

#10    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,546 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

Possibly because of the supreme ignorance involved in saying someone is deluded. When it comes to gods, no-one knows either way for sure. I wouldn't try to convince you that gods exist and I don't expect you to tell me they don't. So when some atheists say they know there is no god, it is hypocrisy in the extreme. They will rant and rave at believers for saying they know gods exist without concrete evidence then claim to know gods don't exist with equally little to support their position.

As for why any religious position (including atheism) is more readily defended than UFO believers etc. I think it is purely down to numbers. There are more theists than believers in UFOs so people insulting them are more likely to come up against opposition.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostSetton, on 02 October 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Possibly because of the supreme ignorance involved in saying someone is deluded. When it comes to gods, no-one knows either way for sure. I wouldn't try to convince you that gods exist and I don't expect you to tell me they don't. So when some atheists say they know there is no god, it is hypocrisy in the extreme. They will rant and rave at believers for saying they know gods exist without concrete evidence then claim to know gods don't exist with equally little to support their position.

As for why any religious position (including atheism) is more readily defended than UFO believers etc. I think it is purely down to numbers. There are more theists than believers in UFOs so people insulting them are more likely to come up against opposition.

Good points. So some atheists attack believers and some believers attack atheists and we're all equally as bad as each other for doing it?

#12    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,546 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostBling, on 02 October 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Good points. So some atheists attack believers and some believers attack atheists and we're all equally as bad as each other for doing it?

Pretty much :) Basically, in groups, people tend to be rather stupid.

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#13    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 02 October 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum.

I see it all the time, and no I am not going post every post.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#14    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostBling, on 02 October 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

And what about the none militant atheists? All you've done here is turn my point around. Don't you think being told you are a sinner and going to hell feels just the same as being shouted at?

Some do it with so much pomp you want to reach through the internet and slap em.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#15    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,546 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 02 October 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

I see it all the time, and no I am not going post every post.

So how about just 3? Surely you can find that many if you see it all the time :tu:

View PostHavocWing, on 02 October 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

Some do it with so much pomp you want to reach through the internet and slap em.

Good to know it works both ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users