Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mystery of Ned Kelly's missing head 'solved'

ned kelly head anna hoffman

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,637 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

One of Australia's biggest mysteries – what happened to the head of notorious outlaw Ned Kelly – may have been solved after a pensioner in New Zealand claimed she has it.

Earlier this month, Kelly's descendants issued an appeal for information on where the skull is when the rest of his remains were handed over to them after being identified through DNA testing.

In a family statement, Ellen Hollow, great-granddaughter of Kelly's sister Kate, said: "We appeal to the person who has the skull in their possession to return it."

The family won the right to give the skeleton a final burial following a dispute with a property developer working on the site of Melbourne's Pentridge Prison, where the bones were unearthed in 2009.

Now Anna Hoffman, a 74-year-old New Zealander, says she was given the skull 30 years ago while on holiday in Melbourne, by a security guard who told her it was "Ned's head".

http://www.telegraph...es-forward.html

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,508 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

*never even knew it was missing... :( *

Edited by Eldorado, 27 August 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,903 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Is it still in that bucket he habitually wore?

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Just listen...can you hear it?  "IIIIIIIII ain't got no boooooody"

Edited by Idano, 28 August 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Not being an Austrialian, I had never heard of Ned Kelly until a few years ago when I picked up the movie about him, that starred Mick Jagger... To those of you that know these kinds of things, how accurate was that movie (if you saw it)?...

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,903 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostTaun, on 28 August 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Not being an Austrialian, I had never heard of Ned Kelly until a few years ago when I picked up the movie about him, that starred Mick Jagger... To those of you that know these kinds of things, how accurate was that movie (if you saw it)?...

You'll have to wait for Mc for that one, Taun. I only know the 'basics' about Kelly. I'm willing to bet the 'Rolling Stones' version owed a bit to the imagination, (although I enjoyed Mick's performance!)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Postealdwita, on 28 August 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

You'll have to wait for Mc for that one, Taun. I only know the 'basics' about Kelly. I'm willing to bet the 'Rolling Stones' version owed a bit to the imagination, (although I enjoyed Mick's performance!)

Thanks ealdwita...  I took the time to read up a bit on him (wikipedia so I'm not sure how accurate it was...) and the movie seems to have been 'basically correct' (by wiki standards)... Of course, the movie was sympathetic to the Kellys, while the wiki article was a bit more balanced...

The wiki was apparently written by an 'Aussie' so I had a bit of trouble following some of the terms, though the basic meanings were clear enough in context...

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,508 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thought the movie was duff, to be honest.  (ham-acting)

On the plus side, if he had lips like Jagger that skull should be easy to spot.  (Only joking, Mick)

Edited by Eldorado, 28 August 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I haven't seen either Ned Kelly movies, to be honest didn't even realise there was a Mick Jagger version until I read the above posts.

Ned Kelly is regarded as a bit of a national hero, with some dark sides too. More for his early life and final days than anything. His murders aren't respected, especially murdering police.

But I don't know too much, Wikipedia would probably be more help than me haha.

Also a lot of bushrangers back then were liked by the small towns people. The small towns people were having it tough, and the British taxes were going up. The bushrangers would often rob the British after they the taxes were paid to them and return it to the townspeople in return for free food, room and to keep an eye out for them etc.

The aftermath of The Eureka Rebellion was still going on at this point too.

http://en.wikipedia....ureka_Rebellion

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,508 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostDKO, on 28 August 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

I haven't seen either Ned Kelly movies, to be honest didn't even realise there was a Mick Jagger version until I read the above posts.

Apologies for steering off-topic, DKO but have you watched The Proposition?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

Best Aussie movie I've seen since Mad Max.  :)

#11    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostEldorado, on 28 August 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Apologies for steering off-topic, DKO but have you watched The Proposition?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

Best Aussie movie I've seen since Mad Max.  :)

Nah I haven't, I've heard it's good though. Haven't really watched Mad Max either. I'm a bad Aussie film buff haha.

Aussie films are either fairly good or really bad IMO (Young film and theatre history here to blame I reckon :tu: ). I started watching Mad Max about a year ago, Mel Gibson was good in it but all the others made me cringe a little. I remember meeting a few Americans in Bali once and they were asking me "Why don't I have an Australian accent?" I said I did, and they said "It's nothing like the Australians in Mad Max"! haha

Edit to ad - Chopper is a good Aussie movie if you haven't seen it, Eric Bana stars in it.

Edited by DKO, 28 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#12    andy hair candy

andy hair candy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• slowly slipping away...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

so i guess we will be hearing about its authenticity soon enouph yeh? typical, neds head ended up with witches... australia has always been good at losing things. like the award winning film WAKE IN FRIGHT (outback)...

#13    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,988 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Oh no! Somebody painted it white!

http://www.hawkesbay...s-head/1523234/

#14    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,416 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 27 August 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

One of Australia's biggest mysteries – what happened to the head of notorious outlaw Ned Kelly – may have been solved after a pensioner in New Zealand claimed she has it.

Earlier this month, Kelly's descendants issued an appeal for information on where the skull is when the rest of his remains were handed over to them after being identified through DNA testing.

In a family statement, Ellen Hollow, great-granddaughter of Kelly's sister Kate, said: "We appeal to the person who has the skull in their possession to return it."

The family won the right to give the skeleton a final burial following a dispute with a property developer working on the site of Melbourne's Pentridge Prison, where the bones were unearthed in 2009.

Now Anna Hoffman, a 74-year-old New Zealander, says she was given the skull 30 years ago while on holiday in Melbourne, by a security guard who told her it was "Ned's head".

http://www.telegraph...es-forward.html

For a more qualified discussion of the topic, the following article from the current AIA publication may of interest. Certain positions expressed in the "Telegraph" article may be questionable (!).

http://www.archaeolo...ourne_gaol.html

#15    SteveBronfman

SteveBronfman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Guy was a criminal murdering robber, I'm not sure why he's so idolised by the Aussie media. It's not like he was a Robin Hood figure who gave to the poor either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users