Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trevor Phillips:Racism blocks British Obama

questionmark

Racism would block British Barack Obama, says Trevor Phillips

Head of equality watchdog says ethnic minority candidates in the UK would be prevented from reaching the highest level

A British Barack Obama would be prevented from becoming prime minister by "institutional racism", the head of the equality watchdog said.

Trevor Phillips said the British public "would rather like" a black leader, following the US election, but "institutional resistance" would block the path of an ethnic minority candidate.

"If Barack Obama had lived here I would be very surprised if even somebody as brilliant as him would have been able to break through the institutional stranglehold that there is on power within the Labour party," he told the Times.

Although 13 of the 15 ethnic minority MPs are Labour, with the other two representing the Tories, Phillips said that the Conservatives had made "faster progress" with their selection procedures.

He later clarified his comments to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, saying Labour had "led the way" with respect to ethnic minority MPs but "the political system is to some extent closed to outsiders". He emphasised that the problem, as he saw it, was the system and not discrimination by individual party members.

"It's a point about the fact that systems can sometimes work in such a way that, in spite of everybody's goodwill, in spite of the fact that everybody wants it to change, it doesn't change," he said.

Phillips said that he opposed all-black shortlists but that action was needed to give competent people "a bit of an edge".

"The parties and unions and think-tanks are all very happy to sign up to the general idea of advancing the cause of minorities but in practice they would like somebody else to do the business. It's institutional racism," he told the Times.

Full story, source: The Guardian

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• explorer

• chemical-licker

• itsnotoutthere

We are in and experiencing living history and it sometimes seems we are back in the 60"s

Ya'll are just gonna have to catch up with the times and quit being so racist. :D

nope its got to be jeremy clarkson for prime minister

Amen to that!!

Ya'll are just gonna have to catch up with the times and quit being so racist. :D

Ha de Ha Ha :D

Trevor phillips hasn't got a clue what's going on.

i agree

:blink:

There is bandwagon going through, and have you noticed all the wannabes jumping on. For some reason after Obamamania, now every black man woman and child has been propelled to higher than high it makes me laugh.

you only have to look at the American election, the electorate when questioned openly admitted they where voting for one of the candidates based on race/colour. and if the same was spouted but the word white replaced the word black, people would be up in arms. there wouldn't just be one race card played it would've been the whole deck,

take the article above pointing out the difference is ethnic minorities in government has its ever crossed their minds it might be because the ethnic person isn't the right person for the job. the American election was all about race and we in the UK shouldn't follow suit trying to prove a point when there is no point to be made.

Edited by stevewinn

What a load of b******s, Afro-afro Caribbean 2008 estimated at 1.30% of British population are over represented in the UK

particularly on TV, statistically it would be possible to watch a week of TV without seeing one Afro Caribbean, but they're in nearly every program weather it's historically accurate or not and on every news channel, the BBC must employ half of them, i wonder what the other half are doing?

:sleepy: Yeah yeah Trevor Phillips, we've heard all before....

Racism is selling and everyone's buying.

nope its got to be jeremy clarkson for prime minister

The rational part of my brain just goes "Nonononononono", but the rest of me says "Go for it!"

--Jaylemurph

There is bandwagon going through, and have you noticed all the wannabes jumping on. For some reason after Obamamania, now every black man woman and child has been propelled to higher than high it makes me laugh.

you only have to look at the American election, the electorate when questioned openly admitted they where voting for one of the candidates based on race/colour. and if the same was spouted but the word white replaced the word black, people would be up in arms. there wouldn't just be one race card played it would've been the whole deck,

take the article above pointing out the difference is ethnic minorities in government has its ever crossed their minds it might be because the ethnic person isn't the right person for the job. the American election was all about race and we in the UK shouldn't follow suit trying to prove a point when there is no point to be made.

That's nonsense. People didn't vote for Obama simply because he's mixed race, black, whatever. The election was not all about race. It was a rejection of Bush and the GOP and the fact that Obama is who he is was simply a major bonus for some, certainly not all. If Hillary had won the nomination/election, would you suggest it was all about gender?

There might be some thinking, cool, a black President, wow that's hip. There are those who think it's a huge turning point in US history, totally opposite to the treatment their ancestors endured, but above all, the majority are thinking, thank Vote we know the last eight years are coming to a close.

I think a black PM for the UK would be a great, i personally am tired of the stuffy British political system and their boring party slogans.

A PM candidate who's party slogan is "I got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind" would certainly get my vote, it demonstrates an acute awareness of the current economic climate.

I also think it would energize peoples political apathy.

That's nonsense. People didn't vote for Obama simply because he's mixed race, black, whatever. The election was not all about race. It was a rejection of Bush and the GOP and the fact that Obama is who he is was simply a major bonus for some, certainly not all. If Hillary had won the nomination/election, would you suggest it was all about gender?

There might be some thinking, cool, a black President, wow that's hip. There are those who think it's a huge turning point in US history, totally opposite to the treatment their ancestors endured, but above all, the majority are thinking, thank Vote we know the last eight years are coming to a close.

You are very uninformed. Over 80%(probably more) of minorities voted for Obama purely because he is black. During live radio broadcasts random black men were asked on the street who they're voting for. They said Obama. When asked why they replied that they agree with what he stands for and his policies. When the interviewer then listed all of McCains policies, they fervently agreed with them. Most didn't even know that Palin was McCains V.P..

Whether you want to admit it or not, race was the deciding factor in the Presidential election. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

You are very uninformed. Over 80%(probably more) of minorities voted for Obama purely because he is black. During live radio broadcasts random black men were asked on the street who they're voting for. They said Obama. When asked why they replied that they agree with what he stands for and his policies. When the interviewer then listed all of McCains policies, they fervently agreed with them. Most didn't even know that Palin was McCains V.P..

Whether you want to admit it or not, race was the deciding factor in the Presidential election. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Your post is spot on and reflects what i watched on NEWS channels from outside the US/UK.

Is this the Radio Broadcast you referred to?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iCipmnYCKB0&...feature=related

Head of equality watchdog says ethnic minority candidates in the UK would be prevented from reaching the highest level

A British Barack Obama would be prevented from becoming prime minister by "institutional racism", the head of the equality watchdog said.

Trevor Phillips said the British public "would rather like" a black leader, following the US election, but "institutional resistance" would block the path of an ethnic minority candidate.

"If Barack Obama had lived here I would be very surprised if even somebody as brilliant as him would have been able to break through the institutional stranglehold that there is on power within the Labour party," he told the Times.

Although 13 of the 15 ethnic minority MPs are Labour, with the other two representing the Tories, Phillips said that the Conservatives had made "faster progress" with their selection procedures.

He later clarified his comments to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, saying Labour had "led the way" with respect to ethnic minority MPs but "the political system is to some extent closed to outsiders". He emphasised that the problem, as he saw it, was the system and not discrimination by individual party members.

"It's a point about the fact that systems can sometimes work in such a way that, in spite of everybody's goodwill, in spite of the fact that everybody wants it to change, it doesn't change," he said.

Phillips said that he opposed all-black shortlists but that action was needed to give competent people "a bit of an edge".

"The parties and unions and think-tanks are all very happy to sign up to the general idea of advancing the cause of minorities but in practice they would like somebody else to do the business. It's institutional racism," he told the Times.

Sorry......double post

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Is Trevor Phillips suggesting that the U.K. is somehow more racist than the U.S.?

Hasn't there already been one foiled plot to 'remove' Obama in the American time honoured tradition?

I mean, if they're willing to do it to an aging forgetful hollywood actor (Ronny)!!!!!!

Lets give him a year or two & see how many other attempts are made. (god forbid)

How many were interviewed in total during those radio broadcasts? Was it a statistical study or a guy with a microphone interested in a pre-ordained outcome? If you're referring to the broadcast SteveWinn linked to, the Howard Stern show if you don't mind, then there were 4, so you're miles away from having a sample worthy of the claim that 80% of minorities voted for Obama based on race or colour alone, not least because of the leading nature of the questions. 4 people and one location does not a representative sample make. Were any respondents not included in the results broadcast?

Even if there are other broadcasts that reached the same apparently contradictory conclusion, I very much doubt that they reached the numbers required to make a genuine sample. If I am uninformed, then you and SteveWinn are biased and pecking about like chickens for a mere pellet of explanation.

Until the 4th they were saying the same thing here and prepared to say more of the same if he had lost.

How many were interviewed in total during those radio broadcasts? Was it a statistical study or a guy with a microphone interested in a pre-ordained outcome? If you're referring to the broadcast SteveWinn linked to, the Howard Stern show if you don't mind, then there were 4, so you're miles away from having a sample worthy of the claim that 80% of minorities voted for Obama based on race or colour alone, not least because of the leading nature of the questions. 4 people and one location does not a representative sample make. Were any respondents not included in the results broadcast?

Even if there are other broadcasts that reached the same apparently contradictory conclusion, I very much doubt that they reached the numbers required to make a genuine sample. If I am uninformed, then you and SteveWinn are biased and pecking about like chickens for a mere pellet of explanation.

Am not biased. am calling it how i see it, on NEWS channels from around the world. namely Euronews, RT-Today, ND-TV, Al Jazeera where showing footage of people leaving the polling station who where openly admitting they were voting for Obama on the grounds of race. the BBC didnt show such interviews and neither did CNN or CNBC.

Euro News run a full 30minutes of "no comment" am guessing in that time frame over 40 people give their reason for voting, some voting for the first time, based on the fact Obama was black. if you cant see that race had a part to play in this election then, well, your lost to the world.

i wish i would have recorded the footage then you could have see it with your own eyes, i get the feeling explorer you never bothered to look outside the main stream media, and that's why your finding it hard grasp.

No Comment is a great example of how news should be broadcast. a bit about no comment.

At euronews we believe in the intelligence of our viewers and we think that the mission of a news channel is to deliver facts without any opinion or bias, so that the viewers can make their own opinion on world events. We also think that sometimes images need no explanation or commentary, which is why we created No Comment and now No Comment TV: to show the world from a different angle…

i've searched for the coverage on their site but it looks like its expired, but just watch this footage and without looking at other news sources make your mind up to what's going on,

http://www.euronews.net/en/nocomment/10/11...8/1011israelvi/

The whole thing about people voting for him just because he's black. . .

Hmm. . .that sounds familiar. . .

Like someone voting for a president by political party alone? Without being aware of their policies or what they are planning to do?

That's widespread in America and it often plays a big part in who wins what. Far too many people vote for people simply because they like one thing about them. Lets not limit this to race. If a woman won, sure, I imagine you'd find women that voted for her just because she was a woman. I know women that supported McCain simply because of Sarah Palin. They had no idea what either of them wanted for our country.

I didn't vote for Obama because he was black, and neither did my black friends. It got them more pumped up for the election, sure, but that wasn't the sole reason they voted for him. But, then again, I wouldn't be friends with someone that was silly enough to vote for someone due to race, sex, or political party alone.

Black people make up about 15% of America (and thats from a more generous source, most say around 12-13%), it would be hard to say that he won the election through them. Especially considering not all of them voted, and some voted for McCain, and not all of them were allowed to vote.

Excuse the pun, but its not that black and white.

Edit: spelling

Edit again: And there was record turn out not necessarily because he was black but because his speeches made people want to get out and vote. That and the fact that so many people are sick of our current government, they wanted to make sure they actually got up and voted this time. I wasn't going to vote. I never do. I hate politicians for the most part. Plus, Alabama always goes republican. But I'll be damned if I didn't get up at the crack of dawn and stand out in the cold for an unruly amount of time just so I could cast my meaningless vote. . .For both the reasons afore mentioned.

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

I wish the world would just stop being moronic and, I don't know, STOP BEING RACIST. I'm guessing that people hate other people because thoes people don't have a mind of their own and should be killed off. How about that? Does that sound like a definate plan?

Am not biased. am calling it how i see it,

Can't see the bias for all your opinions?

on NEWS channels from around the world. namely Euronews, RT-Today, ND-TV, Al Jazeera where showing footage of people leaving the polling station who where openly admitting they were voting for Obama on the grounds of race. the BBC didnt show such interviews and neither did CNN or CNBC.

Euro News run a full 30minutes of "no comment" am guessing in that time frame over 40 people give their reason for voting, some voting for the first time, based on the fact Obama was black. if you cant see that race had a part to play in this election then, well, your lost to the world.

A jump from Sample 4 to a guestimated 40 is an improvement in size but still way off nailing any prizes. I don't deny that race had a part to play in the election, but suggesting or agreeing that a majority of the minority (or even that a minority of the majority) voted for Obama purely because of race is simply ridiculous.

i wish i would have recorded the footage then you could have see it with your own eyes, i get the feeling explorer you never bothered to look outside the main stream media, and that's why your finding it hard grasp.

No Comment is a great example of how news should be broadcast. a bit about no comment.

At euronews we believe in the intelligence of our viewers and we think that the mission of a news channel is to deliver facts without any opinion or bias, so that the viewers can make their own opinion on world events. We also think that sometimes images need no explanation or commentary, which is why we created No Comment and now No Comment TV: to show the world from a different angle…

i've searched for the coverage on their site but it looks like its expired, but just watch this footage and without looking at other news sources make your mind up to what's going on,

http://www.euronews.net/en/nocomment/10/11...8/1011israelvi/

By your description, Euronews and their No Comment could be even worse than the Howard Stern show. If you're going to get responses from people outside a polling booth but call the segment 'No Comment', are we not even hearing the questions? I'm sure they're not that bad. Did people emerge from the booths proclaiming 'I voted for Obama, but only cos he's black'? The footage has expired? We'll just have to enjoy this instead, while it lasts: Euronews 'No Comment' US 5/11

Can't see the bias for all your opinions?

A jump from Sample 4 to a guestimated 40 is an improvement in size but still way off nailing any prizes. I don't deny that race had a part to play in the election, but suggesting or agreeing that a majority of the minority (or even that a minority of the majority) voted for Obama purely because of race is simply ridiculous.

By your description, Euronews and their No Comment could be even worse than the Howard Stern show. If you're going to get responses from people outside a polling booth but call the segment 'No Comment', are we not even hearing the questions? I'm sure they're not that bad. Did people emerge from the booths proclaiming 'I voted for Obama, but only cos he's black'? The footage has expired? We'll just have to enjoy this instead, while it lasts: Euronews 'No Comment' US 5/11

Just replying to acknowledge your reply;