Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Largest structure in the universe discovered

quasars large quasar group lqg

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 13 January 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

There's at least a 100 billion stars in the Milky Way (and given that it's an average galaxy) and there are at least a 100 billion galaxies, then there's perhaps 100 billion X 100 billion stars.

Or 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars.

what will that look like in pennies? seriously?

Edited by seeder, 13 January 2013 - 12:55 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#32    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,907 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

View Postseeder, on 13 January 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

what will that look like in pennies? seriously?

A penny, for the sake of argument, weighs 2.5 grams. If we assign one gram of penny per star, that would be 25,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of pennies. Or 27.5 trillion tons of pennies.

Can someone check my math?, my '0' is almost broken. :)

#33    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 13 January 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

A penny, for the sake of argument, weighs 2.5 grams. If we assign one gram of penny per star, that would be 25,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of pennies. Or 27.5 trillion tons of pennies.

wow thats a lot thanks! Got an idea how many trucks that will fill? even average ones?

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#34    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,907 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

View Postseeder, on 13 January 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

wow thats a lot thanks! Got an idea how many trucks that will fill? even average ones?

Over 183 billion tandem dump trucks. Remember, 1 gram of penny / star or 2.5 stars / penny.

Edit: someone should check my math!

Edited by Likely Guy, 13 January 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#35    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 12 January 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

When some one asks you "what is the largest thing in your house" would it not be illogical to answer "my house"? Since your house is not in your house it can not be the largest thing inside it.

By the same token the universe is not inside the universe so it would be illogical to consider it the largest structure within it.

good point, taken.
as for the Universe, when we say Universe, we mean and beyond? if there is a beyond or is the Universe absolutely everything and beyond..

I know what i am trying to say, but it still does not seem to type out right. :unsure2:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#36    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 13 January 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

can`t do the maths, but maybe the U.S. Treasury can make a coin to depict it.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#37    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 13 January 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

Over 183 billion tandem dump trucks. Remember, 1 gram of penny / star or 2.5 stars / penny.

Edit: someone should check my math!

I just did some mental arithmetic and you are in fact out by, 22 pence. :w00t:

(Great work, thanks!) :tu:

#38    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 12 January 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

When some one asks you "what is the largest thing in your house" would it not be illogical to answer "my house"? Since your house is not in your house it can not be the largest thing inside it.

By the same token the universe is not inside the universe so it would be illogical to consider it the largest structure within it.

Having made such a bold statement you will of course be providing us with your observations, empirical evidence or calculations, unless of course you are just making a wild guess.
WOW guy, I said I would think theres something bigger, Meaning I DONT know.  But I guess if you say that this structure is the biggest in the entire universe ill believe it

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#39    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 13 January 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

But I guess if you say that this structure is the biggest in the entire universe ill believe it
I didn't say that it was the largest, nor did I say it wasn't. I don't make statements based on pure guesses.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#40    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

It's great what we can  now see and measure such unimaginably large things !     I'm  guessing  that even larger 'things' will be found.  :)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#41    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

View Postlightly, on 14 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

It's great what we can  now see and measure such unimaginably large things ! I'm  guessing  that even larger 'things' will be found.  :)
Thats all I was trying to say.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#42    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,907 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Like Waspy channels in his signature, via Douglas Adams; "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big."

All my favourite authors are dead. :(

Kurt Vonnegut said, "The bounties of space, of infinite outwardness, were three: empty heroics, low comedy, and pointless death."

Hunter S. Thompson: "...and there I'd be, sitting in the front seat, stark naked, with a case of whiskey next to me and a case of dynamite in the trunk... honking the horn, and the lights on, and just sit there in space for an instant."

:)

Edited by Likely Guy, 14 January 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#43    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,737 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I just went out to lock the chickens in their coop...and I looked up into the clear dark sky with the Milky Way in all of its splendor...and I'm thinking...it just goes on forever...

...and then I come into my office and read this...and as always...I am in total awe of the magnitude of it all...

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#44    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,907 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

View Postjoc, on 14 January 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

I just went out to lock the chickens in their coop...and I looked up into the clear dark sky with the Milky Way in all of its splendor...and I'm thinking...it just goes on forever...

...and then I come into my office and read this...and as always...I am in total awe of the magnitude of it all...

Joc,I don't want to sound trite, but I wonder if your chickens look up sometimes and wonder as well. :)

#45    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 14 January 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Joc,I don't want to sound trite, but I wonder if your chickens look up sometimes and wonder as well. :)
i have wondered this, (not about Joc`s chickens), but about animals in general.....do they look up at the sky and wonder or do they just concentrate on the natural world surrounding them on Earth only?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users