Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Racism by NEA? Yes!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,767 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for studentsPosted Image in math and reading based upon their race.
On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be readingPosted Image at or above grade level.

Link
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can anyone explain to me why this is a good idea and is NOT racism?  Good grief!

It actually wasn't imlemented by the NEA...but you know what I mean...

Edited by joc, 14 October 2012 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#2    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postjoc, on 14 October 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for studentsPosted Image in math and reading based upon their race.
On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be readingPosted Image at or above grade level.

Link
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can anyone explain to me why this is a good idea and is NOT racism?  Good grief!

It is not a good idea. It's only there as an overly PC way of making everybody feel good. Achievement by merit is becoming a thing of the past. Eventually the only requirement to pass a test will be to simply show up and fill in blanks. After all, awarding success in America just isn't fair anymore. Slouches must be lied to and pandered so not to hurt their feelings. The future workforce is bound for trouble. This leads to a world full of f-ups and sissies.

Posted Image

#3    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

View Postjoc, on 14 October 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Link

Shouldn't the goal be set at 100% for all?  :yes:

This "strategic plan" is generalizing every group!  :cry:

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I don't know if its this way now but if you were black you didn't have to do as well to become a doctor.  I think everyone should be expected to do the same because if not just because of race you are going to automatically assume they aren't that good at what they do.

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,740 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think it is definately racism, but is meant in a good way. :whistle:  They are probably setting their goals based on existing numbers and adding some percentage, such as 125% of current numbers, so it makes sense. The goal should be for all students to be able to read, IMHO.

We'll know when society has failed because, it will not be the goals that are set differently, but the grading systems that will be different. When 45% for a African American is a C, and 75% for an Asian American is a C, then things will be heading toward total ruin. :gun:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,819 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

we all know jow they're going to achieve this ... they're going to change how reading i graded and accessed, not aim to actually improve literacy skills.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,767 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 15 October 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

we all know jow they're going to achieve this ... they're going to change how reading i graded and accessed, not aim to actually improve literacy skills.

...and we all know why they are doing this...let's just say it has a lot less to do with education...and ...everything to do with Money from the Big Tit

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,740 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postjoc, on 15 October 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

...and we all know why they are doing this...let's just say it has a lot less to do with education...and ...everything to do with Money from the Big Tit
I thought the minorities were to be lifted up due to Slavery Guilt?? Personally, I have made a good Geneology on Ancestory.com and found that several of my ancestors did own slaves. But, I don't feel bad about it, because that was 4+ generations ago.

Feeding Big Gov is definately part of it though.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users