Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Elections

Alien Being

After last nights televised debate in the UK elections a poll of the electorate just released has revealed the following support for the outcome on May the 6th if nothing between now and then changes -

Conservatives 36%

Liberal Democrats 35%

Labour 24%

Other 5%

Could we be on the verge of a Liberal Democrat Government?

If Mr Clegg pulls of the same performance he did last night for the two remaining debates I suspect not only will the Liberals be in power there wont be a hung Parliment either.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itsnotoutthere

• Belial

• keithisco

• Alien Being

I hope the Lib dems win

Just Imagine the look on their faces when they realise 'S*** we've got to work for a living now!' :lol:

Edited by glyndowers heir

It’s funny, since the election debate, polls have been all over the place. Some put David Cameron as the winner, others showed Nick Clegg in top spot and Gordon Brown flipped between second and third position. This is the very first poll I’ve seen with the Liberal Democrats as a party ahead of Labour though. I guess then it depends on who you listen to.

I think the reason that Clegg came out of the debate so well is simply that the other two candidates unintentionally allowed him to do so; they underestimated the third party and paid for it. You see, Brown and Cameron viewed each other as the main threat and at times argued directly, leaving Clegg largely unscathed. At the same time, this allowed Clegg to step in and point out how very similar the Conservatives and Labour are and how neither address the fundamental issues of the problem. It was almost as if Brown and Cameron were a single team squabbling amongst each other whilst Nick Clegg was left as the real opposition.

My guess now is that the Conservatives and Labour will address this in the next election debate. If they have any sense at all (and I believe they do) then expect to see Brown and Cameron using a lot more of the available time to momentarily put their own differences aside and launch a joint attack on Clegg.

Just wait until they get onto the subject of Europe, the EU and single currency – that’s when the Liberal Democrats’ house is going to come crashing down big time.

For me, the truth is that none of the party’s policies actually changed over those 90 minutes and I wouldn’t vote for any of them.

They ALL say one thing now, then do little after they win. Browns on to a no winner as hes just taken over from where blair left off, camerons just a wannabe, and poor old cleggy knows he can't win whatever the polls say ;)

the whole 'tv debate' was a massive waste of time and money (probably directed at getting the other 80% to vote). not to mention completely unfair (so there are now only 3 parties in the UK?).

instead of voting for the party, now people will buy into the famous popularity contest that 'wins' elections in the US.

should have left it alone.

i say no-one, not a single person should vote. that's the only way politicians will ever take the job (they're elected to do) seriously.

I always thought it would be great idea if the General Election rules insisted that there be a Quorum of at least 51% to declare the election valid. If this were the case then i am sure thatmany more people would either spoil their ballots or simply not vote forcing the Parties to review their policies and to take into account the real wishes of the electorate.

At the least it would be more interesting to see how different parties draw up and define their differing philosophies.

the whole 'tv debate' was a massive waste of time and money (probably directed at getting the other 80% to vote). not to mention completely unfair (so there are now only 3 parties in the UK?).

instead of voting for the party, now people will buy into the famous popularity contest that 'wins' elections in the US.

should have left it alone.

i say no-one, not a single person should vote. that's the only way politicians will ever take the job (they're elected to do) seriously.

I agree, just to allow the 3 main parties to debate simply re-inforces the the 2/3 party system. It is grossly unfair to other parties who are denied a platform on National TV, and leads to stilted "points - Scoring" agendas.

Waste of time.

I agree, just to allow the 3 main parties to debate simply re-inforces the the 2/3 party system. It is grossly unfair to other parties who are denied a platform on National TV, and leads to stilted "points - Scoring" agendas.

Waste of time.

did you watch the debate? the audience wasn't even allowed to reply or clap. A member of the audience would ask a question and the three wannabe leaders waffled on. that's how much courage these so called leaders have cant face the public its a complete load of crap.

the way i feel is, i want labour voted out but i dont want the tories voted in, or the lib dems. so what can you do?

its about time voting was made mandatory.

At the moment clegg as a major advantage over the other two, hes coming across as rather friendly and very approachable the other two seem to be more distant, and to busy smiling at nothing. I hope the libs get a fair crack this time, like he as stated it's been the other two now for so long, how about a fresh pair of eyes to watch over us ;)

At the moment clegg as a major advantage over the other two, hes coming across as rather friendly and very approachable the other two seem to be more distant, and to busy smiling at nothing. I hope the libs get a fair crack this time, like he as stated it's been the other two now for so long, how about a fresh pair of eyes to watch over us ;)

its easy for clegg in these debates. the lib dems havent been in government for 60 years so he doesn't have to defend previous lib dem policies. which gives him the freedom to be more straight talking.

Which is what we all want, don't we?

I'm stunned, amazed 7 saddebned that there seem to be people out there making up their minds on who to vote for on the basis of these televised 'debates'. Have people just aquired the memory span of goldfish? If after everything this government have done to this country you would even consider voting for them........speechless.

see, this is exactly what i was talking about. in britain we vote for the party, not the leader. they've turned it into a popularity contest, further cheapening our already broken version of democracy.

oh, and what itsnotoutthere said.

Edited by expandmymind

post-39751-127161303717_thumb.jpg

post-39751-12716142741_thumb.jpg

post-39751-127161430945_thumb.jpg

post-39751-12716142741_thumb.jpg

post-39751-127161430945_thumb.jpg

I think the people of Britain are going to send the Labour Party back to the stoneage at the election.

Just in case anyone thought the UK election was a real democracy here is something to consider.

Todays numbers off one of the main polls were:

Conservative 35%

Labour 26%

Lib Dem 26%

so far so good, now lets see how those shares translate into seats in our ridiculous 'first past the post' system.

Labour approx. 290 seats

Conservative approx. 245 seats

Lib Dem approx 80 seats

yes, thats right, 80 seats for the same share as Labour and 50 seats less for 9% more of the vote. It would have been even further in Labours favour but there have been some recent boundary changes that sent a few extra the Conservatives way. Its a joke that millions of votes have absolutely no effect.

Just in case anyone thought the UK election was a real democracy here is something to consider.

Todays numbers off one of the main polls were:

Conservative 35%

Labour 26%

Lib Dem 26%

so far so good, now lets see how those shares translate into seats in our ridiculous 'first past the post' system.

Labour approx. 290 seats

Conservative approx. 245 seats

Lib Dem approx 80 seats

yes, thats right, 80 seats for the same share as Labour and 50 seats less for 9% more of the vote. It would have been even further in Labours favour but there have been some recent boundary changes that sent a few extra the Conservatives way. Its a joke that millions of votes have absolutely no effect.

Well, if that's right, sounds like the people of the U.K. have at least as much reason to be up in arms and angry as any American bringing guns to protests. Not that I advocate it, just sounds like there's a lot of problems on both sides of the Atlantic.

Well, if that's right, sounds like the people of the U.K. have at least as much reason to be up in arms and angry as any American bringing guns to protests. Not that I advocate it, just sounds like there's a lot of problems on both sides of the Atlantic.

What can I say?... Democracy has been hi-jacked by vested interests, whether political or corporate.

Neither of the 2 main parties in the UK will bring forward a Bill leading to proportional representation - it suits their political agendas not to because they know (apart from certain hiccups) that they will steal power at the next election.

This is why I would push for a quorum to be required of at least 50% +1 for any one party to gain a majority in Parliament.

Edited by keithisco

• 3 weeks later...

If Brown comes 3rd and retains the Premiership (this is possible believe it or not) I really do suspect that my countrymen and women will be having a revolution at the weekend.

I was rooting for Clegg to win....well I figured it was high time the UK had a good looking prime minister for oncew00t.gif

Heck if they put a monkey that escaped from the local zoo in no 10.. he would be better than Gordon (loads of personality) Brown!!