Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are We Selling Ourselves Short?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    Set the Fallen

Set the Fallen

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

Quill on Dec 18 2008, 08:10 PM, said:

I think this is the right section. happy.gif

A week or so ago I asked myself a question. Are we, as a species, selling ourselves short?

All too often I hear people (myself included) belittling another person or a group of people. A "holier than thou" attitude is assumed, as if one has never made a mistake in their life. (I hate to admit it, but I find myself thinking/passing such judgments.) People also seem to feel that circumstances are never going to get better and that the human race is doomed. It's not without justification though, there appears to be innumerable cruel people in the world. One is constantly bombarded with images of murder, rape, war, abuse, etc.
Mankind's capacity for cruelty is well known. But what about the capacity for compassion and love. How often does one hear or read stories about human kindness? (I know, there are several out there.) Stories about animals showing qualities usually attributed to humans are popular (and sweet), but it seems that many people have forgotten that they and others are capable of such feelings and actions. Have people become so focused on the negative aspects of humanity that the positive qualities aren't nurtured to their full potential?

What are your thoughts?

Sorry if I'm babbling, I hope I made some sense.
Thank you. happy.gif
Quill

Human kindness... it is so rare because the focus lies on the negative things. Like there is nothing that can weigth up the bad things we do, no matter how kind it is.
Reasons for much cruelty in the world, and less kindness (I think this) is that if someone do something good, they are usually ignored, while they that do much bad and horribel stuff perhaps is not. Kindness will die out if people most ignore it much more.
Sure, there are animals that can do lots of things, but... I think the worst crime most people do is to ignore the good deeds of others (no matter how trivial).

#17    Tokoyo

Tokoyo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

• Take a grain of sand, take another grain of sand and make a brick...
    -Susumu Yokoto

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

it's a small part of a big problem but advertising and consumerist principles probably are not helping us become more compassionate...

#18    Quill

Quill

Grim Idealist

• 2,888 posts

• My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. -Hosea 4:6

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Tokoyo on Jan 20 2009, 06:28 PM, said:

it's a small part of a big problem but advertising and consumerist principles probably are not helping us become more compassionate...

Yes, the "material things will make you happy" sentiment seems to be emotionally, even spiritually detrimental in the long run.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users