Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flip-flop Wearing Climber Rescued

Eldorado

"A tourist had to be stretchered off one of Scotland's highest mountains after hurting his ankle while climbing - in flip-flops."

"One of the injured man's companions was bare-foot when the rescue team reached them, and the other was wearing trainers." (sneakers)

Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-27954358

There's a whole lotta stupid on this planet of ours.

• Like 3

Can't some men leave their beloved flip flops at the beach?

• Like 1

I wear flip flop sandels quite a bit....but I don't wear them when walking my dogs. When walking any distance I wear sneakers made specifically for walking and certainly would never wear either flip flops or sneakers while hiking/climbing.

• Like 2

Tourists have their own "special brand" of stupid.

• Like 2

I spent months in India wearing sandals. Even went up the Himalayas to the source of Ganges at Gangotri, some 12,000 feet up!

Excelent footwear, I still wear them frequently now its summer and prefer them to any walking/hiking shoe.

Edited by ProfessorPurple
  • Like 3

who was he trying to be.... Mick Dodge?

• Like 1

It doesn't say where they were from except they'd never seen snow before. Flip-flops is probably normal footwear for them and he must have thought he'd be alright wearing those, one even had bare feet!

• Like 1

It doesn't say where they were from except they'd never seen snow before. Flip-flops is probably normal footwear for them and he must have thought he'd be alright wearing those, one even had bare feet!

Birmingham, maybe?

"Ahem" I may end up going off on one in a few sentences, so apologies first... :innocent:

Bleeding hell! What is it with these flaming morons? I get it, that you're from a place where snow isn't a regular event, and you think that since you're up in the Highlands you'll go up one of our mountains and get a look at some. Good for you. But when the people in your hostel/ hotel/ guesthouse or indeed any sodding local tells you to dress appropriately, take their sodding advice, you utterly insane PRAT!!!

A mate of mine is a volunteer mountain rescue staffer. The stuff he tells me about some of the idiots who go into the wilds with not even a clue about even thinking of consulting a simple weather forecast beggars belief. He himself said that on one occasion when they helped a walker down who'd got stuck on a ridge that he thought was easy to climb that it wasn't his fault really, and the rescue lot should thank him. "You're doing what you're paid to do. Can't see what the fuss is about" was what the berk in this event said. My mate felt like lamping the sod...

Edited by Shayde
  • Like 1

"Ahem" I may end up going off on one in a few sentences, so apologies first... :innocent:

Calm down, Shayde. 'Tis not worth having a stroke over.

Have some Irn Bru and a steak-bake from Greggs.

• Like 1

I never liked flip-flops even as a kid... I hate the feeling of anything between my toes, and when I walk in them I feel I have to curl my toes to hang on to the darn things... Gads I detest them...

And some idiot thought they could climb what is essentially a mountain in them? In snow?...

To quote the great Bugs Bunny "What a maroon"...

• Like 3

A mate of mine is a volunteer mountain rescue staffer. The stuff he tells me about some of the idiots who go into the wilds with not even a clue about even thinking of consulting a simple weather forecast beggars belief.

Especially in the middle of winter when there's snow and ice even on ground levels. Then there's the freezing fog and blizzards which come on at the rate of knots and climbers get caught out and have to be rescued. There's nothing wrong with mountain climbing but you need to be sensible about when to go and when to stay safe at home.

I never liked flip-flops even as a kid... I hate the feeling of anything between my toes, and when I walk in them I feel I have to curl my toes to hang on to the darn things... Gads I detest them...

Same here! :D

• Like 2

Same here! :D

Same here too. My toes automatically curl and hang on for grim death. I need them though cos I've ruined expensive working boots and sneakers with wearing them to mow the lawn. Grass stains are unforgiving.

• Like 2