Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist jailed for posting on Facebook -

DKO

Alexander Aan, an Indonesian civil servant who is currently in custody and facing an 11-year prison sentence for expressing his atheism on Facebook.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/05/indonesian-atheist-faces-long-jail.html

"If you are not a religious person, you might be dangerous to others, behaving without control and doing anything you like. Religion brings order. You cannot be an individualist."

Like when the Muslims bombed Bali? Twice.

• Like 4

"You cannot be an individualist" - who get's to say something like that with a straight face these days? Oh wait, that's right PSYCHOS, grrrr.

• Like 2

Read in the article he got attacked by a mob, as well.

Aan is the first atheist to be tried for breaching this aspect of the Pancasila and, as the Guardian reports, his case has led to calls for his execution by hardline Islamists, and he was badly beaten while in custody by a mob who learned of the charges he is facing.

I'm not an Atheist, but even I know this is all wrong. Humanity is turning into uncivilized A-holes.

NOT GOOD!

• Like 2

We've always been uncivilized a-holes. We just like to think otherwise 99% of the time.

• Like 6

We've always been uncivilized a-holes. We just like to think otherwise 99% of the time.

Agreed and good point. Just seems like since the population has increased worldwide, it's gotten worse. Either that or the news media brings it to our attention more often than they use to do. Not saying they shouldn't, by the way, just can't figure out which is most likely the case. Maybe both?

• Like 1

*sigh* I hate looking at things through religion. It's so hipocritical.

• Like 1

I just find it crazy that the Indonesian Government says they have 'freedom of religion' but only as long as they adhere to Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Confucianism or Hinduism.

• Like 2

".......his case has led to calls for his execution by hardline Islamists"

Would that be the same Islam that calls itself the 'Religion of Peace' and whose Holy Book forbids the taking of life?

• Like 5

Would that be the same Islam that calls itself the 'Religion of Peace' and whose Holy Book forbids the taking of life?

One and the VERY same......

• Like 3

One and the VERY same......

Oui and the same one that has followers get up in arms and want to see a middle aged school teacher flogged (and probably beheaded) because of the name a class of children gave to a teddy bear! I have nothing against people having their own quiet beliefs but religious extremists ruin it for everyone with behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Religion is a tool to control masses of people to do the bidding of those who have the power of word over them, thus leads to stuff like this. I want nothing to do with religion if it will bring harm and death to those who want to express their individuality. To me religion is a medieval concept that has survived for far to long...

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2

Religion is a tool to control masses of people to do the bidding of those who have the power of word over them, thus leads to stuff like this. I want nothing to do with religion if it will bring harm and death to those who want to express their individuality. To me religion is a medieval concept that has survived for far to long...

I agree. At this point in time, the world would probably be better off without religion. An individual can benefit from religious beliefs, but society as a whole suffers from them.

• Like 1

If this judge is saying religion brings order, is he not saying also that God does not need to exist, he is a convenience to control your unruly lot?

So shouldn't the judge also be on trial?

Agreed and good point. Just seems like since the population has increased worldwide, it's gotten worse. Either that or the news media brings it to our attention more often than they use to do. Not saying they shouldn't, by the way, just can't figure out which is most likely the case. Maybe both?

Actually continual studies show that the rates of violence have steadily decreased as we move from historical and pre-historical times, even counting the wars of the last couple of centuries. Now this is talking percentage wise related to population, you do have some increase due to population.

Steven Pinker has a good book on this, actually.

Unfortunately, violence is a really cheap news story so we certainly hear about it more.

As for those decrying the evil of Islam, itself, remember that one of the most famous evil men was a proud Christian. The fault does not rest on the religion, though the religion can provide the needed excuses.

Alexander Aan, an Indonesian civil servant who is currently in custody and facing an 11-year prison sentence for expressing his atheism on Facebook.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/05/indonesian-atheist-faces-long-jail.html

Like when the Muslims bombed Bali? Twice.

Or the Crusades!

:whistle::su Hmmmmm perhaps they should do that here....put atheist in prison. Things would be a lot more quiet around the web.....it would be nice if Dawkins could be put in solitary, away from any kind of communication....ahhh that would be heaven......well I don't believe in heaven but it could start here.

Ok just joking........I don't hate atheist as much as I pretend to, but I don't like them very much either....well maybe one or two, the rest are just angry about everything.....just my experience so I am sure there are a few out there who are decent, normal human beings :tsu: ......just a few though :yes: . As long as they stay out of politcs, then let them be.....can't imagine how an atheist could represent normal people....the ones I know seem to have aspergers pretty bad :alien: .....which I have heard afflics many....than anwers a lot of questions why so many of them whine so much :cry: when they are not angry <_< . Well most of them are liberals after all. Actually, fundie believer and village atheist dance together a lot......yawn!!!! boring....I know I am boring as well, get over it ;-).

Actually I could be joking about the above, or not, you decide :mellow::unsure::blink::angry: .

Edited by dougeaton
  • Like 2

Read in the article he got attacked by a mob, as well.

I'm not an Atheist, but even I know this is all wrong. Humanity is turning into uncivilized A-holes.

NOT GOOD!

Different culture, different way of life.

All joking aside, he should have known better. In the USA and other secular countries we can say what we want and no problem, but if I lived in a country that is tightly controlled, well I would be very careful....on facebook....kind of dumb....but I am sorry for him actually. People should have freedom to believe what they want, or percieve to be true, you can't control anyone....what is the saying, you can't herd cats or people.

doug

All joking aside, he should have known better. In the USA and other secular countries we can say what we want and no problem, but if I lived in a country that is tightly controlled, well I would be very careful....on facebook....kind of dumb....but I am sorry for him actually. People should have freedom to believe what they want, or percieve to be true, you can't control anyone....what is the saying, you can't herd cats or people.

doug

Every nation has its own laws and culture which its citizens need to follow. If the guy breaks the laws or social norms in his country (as he has) he deserves what he gets.

If I live in England and drive up the motorway at 120 kph, go into a gay bar wearing a sign saying 'I hate gays' or decide to have a 15 year old girlfriend I expect to get arrested. I cant use the speed limits on the Autobahn, the age of consent in Spain or the anti-homosexuality polices of Iran as a defence. Claiming my freedom is being violated in such cases is nonsense.

Its also wrong for a German, Spanish or Iranian citizen to criticise the laws in England.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Actually continual studies show that the rates of violence have steadily decreased as we move from historical and pre-historical times, even counting the wars of the last couple of centuries. Now this is talking percentage wise related to population, you do have some increase due to population.

Steven Pinker has a good book on this, actually.

Unfortunately, violence is a really cheap news story so we certainly hear about it more.

This (your words in bold) seems to be the most plausible reason to me. But on the other hand, it would make sense that as the population increases you get a little more rise in violent activity. Human nature I guess.

True! But I was speaking in a moral sense, in reference to the golden rule.

True! But I was speaking in a moral sense, in reference to the golden rule.

But its according to your ideas about morality not that of the nation in question.