Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Experiment Could Reveal New Dimensions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    News-Bot

News-Bot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 07:40 PM

Posted By Saruman on Sunday, November 10 2002

Subject: Experiment Could Reveal New Dimensions

Physicists have devised a new experiment that will be used in the quest for exotic forces in nature and "additional spatial dimensions."

The researchers have demonstrated an innovative way to measure a phenomenon known as the Casimir effect -- findings that also could have implications for the design of microscopic machines that contain tiny parts on the size scale of nanometers -- or billionths of a meter.

Click Here To Read The Complete Article......

#2    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 08:05 PM

Excellent find SaRuMaN. The Casimir Effect is the driving force behind the Zero Point Energy discussed in another thread

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#3    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:57 PM

yep , excelent find Saruman .
This is very interesting I'm just off to read the story linked at the bottom of the article on paradoxical views of the universe , but before I do , here is a question .
Why is movement not classed as a dimension anyway ?
  If this Casimir effect is the driving force behind Z.P.E dosen't it stand to reason that all enrgies have a zero point which  is created by movement at a sub  atomic level .
It's probably just a wierd theory I've been tossing around for a few years
but a statue is generally three dimensional .  If you can make that statue move it seems to me that you really are adding another dimension to it .
Then just like frames in a movie movement can be broken down into what we classically think of as paradoxical dimensions .

#4    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:48 PM

Kismit,
You asked: "Why is movement not classed as a dimension?"  This is the way I interpret it. By moving, you’re simply relocating to another spot within one of the three spatial dimensions.

Why not use people as an example instead of statues, since we are three dimensional and we move all over the place. We use a three dimensional chart/graph to chart where an object is in the entire known universe, and not just here on earth. So throughout the known universe you have three spatial dimensions. Our movements(unless you know something the rest of us don’t), are limited to the three dimensions moving up/down, side to side and front/back(including any combination and/or variation). But these movements are still within the three known spatial dimensions. Even if you could move to a 4th spatial dimension, in my opinion, it wouldn’t be the movement itself that would be the 4th dimension.

When you referred to the movement like frames in a movie, you might be thinking of the time dimension. Time overlaps all other dimensions(at least the three spatial we’re familiar with), and to accurately chart anything in the universe you have to track it’s time as well. So on one frame of a movie, in your example, you’re charting exactly where an object is within the three spatial dimensions and exactly when it’s there.

#5    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:16 PM

I'm with Homer on this one.

By the way, why is time classified as a dimension anyway? To my understanding, the first three dimensions are height, width and depth, which are all physical measurements of physical objects. Time however does not apply to the size, or place of an object, but rather is a completely different phenomenon anyway.

I'm bound to get shouted down about this one, but heck, I don't geddit.

:?:

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:43 PM

Loonboy,
This very question has puzzled me for years, and to be honest, time being a dimension unto itself is debatable. How I interpret it is, time is one of the four components of spacetime, where space is the spatial dimensions and time is the...well...time dimension.

#7    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:04 PM

O.K Homer , But I still think that movement in its self should be classed as an extra dimension . If I have a 2 dimensional object ,Iknow it has width and hieght  , if I have a 3 dimensional object I know that it has Width hieght, and depth but It does not necisarilly have the ability to move .
If the casimir effect is the force behind Z.P.E.'s  and the possible key to proving the excistence of other spatial dimensions and Z.P.E as I interpret it is the energy produced by the negative and positive polarities in a n atom uncontrollably having to move against each other and producing energy. Then maybe these scientists are just looking at a micro picture of movement and time .
    Loonboy and Homer , if time is classifide as a dimension then dosen't this include movement , after all you can not have movement without the existense of a frame of time to experience it in.
Also gasses are very difficult to give dimension to you can say that they have depth or density you can even give them measurements of volume  ,OR you can measure them in P.S.I. which is a measure of pressure caused by the movement or expansion of the gas. Wind for instance is very hard to actually measure as it has no real dimensions allthough we have the ability to measure the speed it is moving at.
   Oh and Loonboy I wont shout you down . Why ? is the most important question anyone can ask , ask it as often as you can. Remember what confucios said " It is better to ask a foolish question and look like a fool than to never ask and remain one"

#8    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:18 PM

Loonboy and Homer , if time is classifide as a dimension then dosen't this include movement , after all you can not have movement without the existense of a frame of time to experience it in.

Kismit,
In spacetime, space is considered the three spatial dimensions. Everything within the three spatial dimension moves. Everything. So I can't understand how it could be it's own dimension, if it's an integral part of the other spatial dimensions. But you are correct in that you can't have movement without the existance of a frame of time. Thats because movement is a part of space, and you cant have space without time, nor can you have time without space.

spacetime is cool 8)

#9    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 01:58 AM

Space time is cool but the kind of dimensions I am refering too is interspaciall I guess . So that if you broke movement down into frames like that in a cartoon would it be possible to seperate the frames and perhaps find a whole new way of looking at dimensions . Its kind of hard to make clear some of the wierd thoughts I have but I've been going over this for a couple of years in my head and it makes sence to me ,maybe it isn't movement in itself which should be classified as a dimension but the time and space used for it .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users