Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Why do we have a White House Christmas tree?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#76    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 November 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Yes, that is what I am talking about. What my OP and posts was meant to convey. How much longer for our Nation's Christmas Tree lit by a President at the White House?

The best thing in my opinion is to let every faith have their festivals... and let Christmas remain as it it, continue as Americans putting up the tree in the Whitehouse and keep with tradition. If it changes, there will be resentment on all sides, you don't want that as it opens the door for conflict.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#77    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

If it was a national nativity seen then I would say no, but a tree means many things to many people all different. Being that is what we are, it is something to enjoy by all. My JW neighbor would say it is the devils work and that makes me love it all the more.

It used to have Nativity scenes with live animals, but the ACLU had them moved farther away. There is or was a National Menorah too.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#78    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

The best thing in my opinion is to let every faith have their festivals... and let Christmas remain as it it, continue as Americans putting up the tree in the Whitehouse and keep with tradition. If it changes, there will be resentment on all sides, you don't want that as it opens the door for conflict.

I haven't signed any petitions. I won't be cutting it down. I've always liked big lit trees.

But, we are losing certain holiday decorations in public places all across our country. So some groups (it isn't my crusade) are offended and I see our Tree (which represents a Nation) as following suit one day.

I see an 'all inclusiveness' winning battles all over the U.S. For me, the Obamas stand for that, and I APPLAUD it wholeheartedly. And for me, unlike those who first posted, a Christmas Tree (pine with lights and a star and singing and live animals) has the connotation of a Christian holiday with a Christian name lit by Christian Presidents.

So I got to thinking will it end too? Would a Jewish President light the National Tree or the National Menorah or both? Why?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite movies! Do it up Clarks of the World! (though try to use solar power and turn them off by 10pm)

Edited by QuiteContrary, 25 November 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#79    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Actually Clark's display was a bit (quite a bit) overdone for my taste. Still a great movie. The elderly lady was the voice of Olive Oyl.

#80    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostQuite Contrary, on 25 November 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

I haven't signed any petitions. I won't be cutting it down. I've always liked big lit trees.

But, we are losing certain holiday decorations in public places all across our country. So some groups (it isn't my crusade) are offended and I see our Tree (which represents a Nation) as following suit one day.

I see an 'all inclusiveness' winning battles all over the U.S. For me, the Obamas stand for that, and I APPLAUD it wholeheartedly. And for me, unlike those who first posted, a Christmas Tree (pine with lights and a star and singing and live animals) has the connotation of a Christian holiday with a Christian name lit by Christian Presidents.

So I got to thinking will it end too? Would a Jewish President light the National Tree or the National Menorah or both? Why?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite movies! Do it up Clark! (though try to use solar power)

Hi Quite Contrary,

It's good to have everybody catered for with regards to faith. It's just dangerous to start picking out one faith and trying to minimise it in order to please a minority when in all reality there is no need to, as all faiths here in the UK get their festivals. Britain bends over backwards in this regard and it's unhealthy and not fair. For us all to get along together we have to give and take :tu:

I love the film National Lampoons Christmas vacation! :clap:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#81    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,797 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

View Postpallidin, on 25 November 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Give it up. Christmas is an amazing, wonderful and awesomely beautiful thing to see in the dead of winter.
or the height of summer as some may hve it.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#82    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,381 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 November 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

No where did I say we should do away with the lights and sounds and decorations at christmas time. Not one mention of it.

My only question I had in this whole thread is the  participation of our Presidents'   in a National Christmas Tree lighting which has had Judeo/Christian religious accompaniment and connotations.

Decorate every tree from shore to shore! It is pretty and colorful and warming in winter.

I love it too. Though we do without the shopping and gift giving to everyone we've ever met.

I have no agenda against holiday decorations. And never said I did.

There is a gingerbread house on my counter (daughter and hubby made it) and the house smells like cinnamon and apples.

We will bake cookies and a traditional eastern European bread my grandma made every November and December.

No lights though, my husband has had too many back surgeries and is having another next month.

We enjoy our neighbors' lights and always drive around to look at them.

And every household lets off the big fireworks here, like you would see at a city display. It's amazing.

No campaign against holiday decorations. Never even thought of ending them.

OK, fair enough regarding household and business decorations.
You know, you could participate in the tradition of "gift-giving" without being offensive to anyone.

Might I suggest you engage in this by you sending me a gift.

#83    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

View Postpallidin, on 25 November 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

OK, fair enough regarding household and business decorations.
You know, you could participate in the tradition of "gift-giving" without being offensive to anyone.

Might I suggest you engage in this by you sending me a gift.

Thank you, Palladin. It has taken Star of the Sea's posts to calm me down. I know what I want to get across, it makes perfect sense in my head, but usually falls apart while posting. I am sorry.

Oh, we don't  give gifts to not offend. We can't afford it. And I am about as creative and talented as a brick.

My husband's siblings are far better off than we are with lots of kids. It got ridiculous. We couldn't compete and they were not into drawing names. Plus, our teen kids thought the crowds and shopping was silly. So we stopped.

Our kids get money at christmas, and they do get birthday gifts. And sometimes I bake for extended family gifts.

What would you like?

I'm good at macrame. :w00t:

#84    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,506 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Christmass is no longer just a religious holiday.... Time off work with family, meals, and presents. Even many atheists still have christmass trees in their homes. I'm not Christian, but I love the holidays. I take the time to reflect on the greater attributes of jesuses teachings evin if The story migh be fabricated. For me it's always the thought that counts. Another bit of Christmas wisdom.

I also go to christmass mass with my wife every year. Deep attitudes of joy, forgiveness, giving, and humanity is the only thing I see.

Not being a Christian but sitting in a grand church with every one focused on what they perceive to be a grand innocent life is a sight to see despite personal beliefs and history.

I love christmass. I  believe in separation of church and state but I don't mind it a bit to see a chrstmass tree on my white house. For me it's a symbol of reconnection to the spirit and family.... And yes to my wife's dismay every year I refuse to use a cut down tree. Last year it was a bay leaf trea that we planted in our yard. A great addition to our garden and culinary persuits I must say.

The tree has gone through many metamorphosis in meaning. Now it belongs to our holiday season regardless of its origins. The meaning is up to the individual.

Edited by Seeker79, 26 November 2012 - 05:30 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#85    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,082 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

I think some confusion seems to have originated becuase we seem to be confusing the
http://en.wikipedia...._Christmas_tree

with the

http://en.wikipedia...._(United_States). Is it the latter about which we are talking?

Edited by 747400, 26 November 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#86    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,082 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 November 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

All of which groups are very small minorities (the ones who make a big thing of being Offended about it, i mean.) This might change one day, who knows, but until then, is it not rather undemocratic to bow down to what they demand if the great majority of the People do not seem too bothered about it?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#87    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

View Post747400, on 26 November 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

I think some confusion seems to have originated becuase we seem to be confusing the

with the

http://en.wikipedia...._(United_States). Is it the latter about which we are talking?

Posts #8 and #9 clearly state National Christmas Tree. And I refer to it as the National Christmas Tree repeatedly, thereafter.

Yes, the WH also has several Christmas trees inside. And I spoke of them as well. (Under the Obama's) they (those on public display anyway) are  decorated to not be offensive, as well as not decorated with personal ornaments or ones WH offspring might make at a private christian school they attend or church. So there is awareness that a Christmas Tree in the WH has the potential to be offensive to some.

edited to add "on public display"

Edited by QuiteContrary, 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#88    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

View Post747400, on 26 November 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

All of which groups are very small minorities (the ones who make a big thing of being Offended about it, i mean.) This might change one day, who knows, but until then, is it not rather undemocratic to bow down to what they demand if the great majority of the People do not seem too bothered about it?

Again, it is happening. I'm not in control here. I'm not making up something that doesn't already  exist. Laws are being passed, decorations are being removed, no matter how many people might feel certain decorations are benign. Those who are apathetic or content with the status quo, aren't the ones initiating change, yet change still happens.

Minority groups and topics important to less than the majority do bring about change in our country and have since our beginnings.

We, like some other countries are a mix of beliefs and cultures, and this grows annually. What may have been more homogeneous at some point in our history, isn't now. And what may be majority rule one day, in our country every one has a voice.

#89    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Post747400, on 26 November 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

with the

And I must add   What visitor inside the WH would assume the Christmas trees inside are there without the approval of government?

#90    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,082 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 26 November 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Again, it is happening. I'm not in control here. I'm not making up something that doesn't already  exist. Laws are being passed, decorations are being removed, no matter how many people might feel certain decorations are benign. Those who are apathetic or content with the status quo, aren't the ones initiating change, yet change still happens.

Minority groups and topics important to less than the majority do bring about change in our country and have since our beginnings.

We, like some other countries are a mix of beliefs and cultures, and this grows annually. What may have been more homogeneous at some point in our history, isn't now. And what may be majority rule one day, in our country every one has a voice.
Well, if that really is the case, unless there really is a significant public Outcry against having Religion Rammed down pople's Throats, the organisations and authorities that are doing it are being very undemocratic, not to mention wasting a small but no doubt significant part of their time & resources in messing about with something so trivial. Why are the tiny minorites who might be Offended by it able to have so much of a say? It almost makes me want to wish that mr. Romney had been elected; i bet he'd have told them where to go with all this politically correct nonsense.

H. P. Lovecraft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users