Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the largest ghost ever?

Dormammu

What is the largest ghost ever?

Bake-Kujira is a Japanese ghost whale. It was said to appear at night around an island in Shimane prefecture. It looked like the skeleton of a giant whale, and it was usually accompanied by a flock of strange birds when it came drifting in with the tide. Later, when the tide started to recede, peculiar fish would become visible in the water around the monster. Fisherman trying to catch the bake-kujira claimed their harpoons passed through the creature as if it were not there.

Bake-kujira.jpg

• Like 5

the holy one

• Like 2

Just another fisherman story while fishing before dark.

Hasn't heard of this kind of ghost before.. it's interesting. I think it's interesting how in some of the Asian lores there is such an incredible myriad of critters, and all the them have such distinct traits and distinctions.

• Like 3

Pffft....The winner, and champion.....

Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

""Only In America"" :tu:

• Like 4

Otranto Martyrs

In 1537 the Turkish army of Suleyman the Magnificent was set to besiege the city of Otranto. However, Otranto was saved by an army of 800 martyrs who appeared on the city walls accompanied by angels too numerous to count. These martyrs were reported to have fought in 1480 with their bodies being left unburied on the battlefield for thirteen months. Again in 1644 this army again saved Otranto from an onslaught by invading Ottoman.

13_05_12_Otranto_cathedral_martyrs_01.jpg

• Like 2

Emerald Island

In the 1820s, British explorers on a ship called the Emerald reported sightings of an island south of the Macquarie Island, between New Zealand and Antarctica.

Captain William Elliot and his crew wrote that the landmass, later called Emerald Island after the ship he was sailing on, was small and mountainous.

However, explorers from the U.S. who tried to locate the mysterious isle in 1840 found no trace of it.

The island was later spotted by a captain visiting Port Chalmers in New Zealand some 50 years after this expedition, yet a follow-up search by Captain John King Davis in 1909, on board the ship Nimrod, again found nothing.

Despite this, the Emerald Island featured on maps and in atlases until at least 1987, although it was gradually removed from many during that time.

800px-Antarctica_1912_edit.jpg

Edited by Dormammu
  • Like 6

Marshmallow man

• Like 1

Dormammu, please post separate subjects as separate topics. Leave this topic for the wale ghost, and create another topic for the island subject.

Well, I think this is a cool thread. I think it's a great question, what has been the biggest ghost sighting. The whale ghost, I find that fascinating.

I have often reflected on ghosts of dinosaurs. Just when I'm a little bit idle. ;)

I often wonder if there have been the tiniest of ghosts being sighted. Like bugs and such.

I don't know if it counts but...

Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa gets covered with clouds from the southeast, which is known as the Tablecloth.

And maybe its more of a legend but supposedly the Tablecloth is a pirate dueling the Devil in a smoke-off. The Devil lost the contest and now forces the pirate to repeat the process every year.

Table_Cloth_on_Table_Mountain_-_flickr_pic_(mar_27).jpg

• Like 1

I don't know if it counts but...

Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa gets covered with clouds from the southeast, which is known as the Tablecloth.

And maybe its more of a legend but supposedly the Tablecloth is a pirate dueling the Devil in a smoke-off. The Devil lost the contest and now forces the pirate to repeat the process every year.

Table_Cloth_on_Table_Mountain_-_flickr_pic_(mar_27).jpg

But, couldn't that be explained away by weather patterns?
  • Like 1

Apparitions are a form of energy, and sightings do indeed increase in both strength and clarity under certain atmospheric conditions that are unusually high in electrical or electromagnetic energy.

Apparitions are a form of energy, and sightings do indeed increase in both strength and clarity under certain atmospheric conditions that are unusually high in electrical or electromagnetic energy.

And what makes you think that?

Ok, ok, I see where you are going with this.

But, how do you tell the difference between increased electrical paranormal activity and increased atmospheric activity? Where is the proof?

The largest Ghost that I know of that has been photographed was one that was taken near an altar, current estimates place it (assuming it was "standing" and not floating) at 9 feet high. You can find the image online, it is black with a white face and dark eye sockets. However, I do not know if it has been debunked or not.

This one:

07.jpg

• Like 1

I think we have a winner: The Specter of Newby Church.

• Like 1

I think we have a winner: The Specter of Newby Church.

That's it, I couldn't think of the name. Thanks. :)

The Lincoln Ghost Train could be the biggest AND maybe seen by the most people:

Between Albany and New York City, crowds grew among the small towns along the route to watch the funeral train pass. The train passed through every town traveling north along the Hudson River—Yonkers, Tarrytown, Sing Sing, and making the one and only stop in Poughkeepsie, on April 25th, before heading to Albany.

Lincoln’s and his son’s remains traveled though 444 communities until the train came to its final destination where the two were interred at the Oak Ridge Cemetery in Illinois. This mournful and solemn trip took a toll on the family and the country in what was the grandest funeral procession ever held for a President.

In the years following, reported sightings of a phantom Lincoln Funeral Train were reported by railroad workers along the route from Washington, D.C. to Springfield, IL.

• Like 1