Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North Korean Rocket Launch

Waspie_Dwarf

North Korea may be preparing for rocket launch - US

North Korea may be preparing a rocket launch, US officials say, citing increased activity around the Sohae Satellite Launching Station.

One official told the AFP news agency that the launch might be "for a satellite or a space vehicle".

But nothing indicated it would be for a ballistic missile, the official added.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Conjures up mental images of a giant catapult with 5 gallon drum of gasoline as the projectile

• Like 2

North Korea 'planning satellite launch'

North Korea has announced plans to launch a satellite later this month, a UN agency says.

Washington described the launch plan as an "egregious violation" of a UN ban on missile launches in the country and called for more sanctions.

North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear bomb test on 6 January, drawing international condemnation.

Critics called Pyongyang's last satellite launch a cover for a test of ballistic missile technology.

arrow3.gifRead more...

South Korea warns North against satellite launch

South Korea has warned the North it will "pay a harsh price" if it goes ahead with its plan to launch a satellite into space.

North Korea said on Tuesday it intended to carry out the launch between 8 and 25 February.

Critics say it is a cover for a test of ballistic missile technology.

arrow3.gifRead more...

This could get ugly.

Meh maybe, I would suggest searching and reading as many global news sites as you can for information during the time between now and then. N. Korea seems to provide a convenient distraction in the mass media.

Meh maybe, I would suggest searching and reading as many global news sites as you can for information during the time between now and then. N. Korea seems to provide a convenient distraction in the mass media.

Generally S. Korea and Japan don't warm up and man their Patriot sites and the Russian foreign ministry state an event as "an outrageous disregard for the universally recognized norms of international law" to distract people in the US. Just sayin'

• Like 1

Generally S. Korea and Japan don't warm up and man their Patriot sites and the Russian foreign ministry state an event as "an outrageous disregard for the universally recognized norms of international law" to distract people in the US. Just sayin'

North Korea is nuts , I think you misinterpreted my post, Im not saying there isnt real **** going on over there, just that folks have been known to take advantage of distractions in the past.

North Korea is nuts , I think you misinterpreted my post, Im not saying there isnt real **** going on over there, just that folks have been known to take advantage of distractions in the past.

Yep, I misinterpreted, thanks for clarifying Farmer.

• Like 1

North Korea fires long-range rocket despite warnings

North Korea has fired a long-range rocket, which critics say is a test of banned missile technology.

A state TV announcer said that North Korea had successfully placed a satellite in orbit.

It appears the rocket was fired from a base in the north-west and passed over Japan's southern Okinawa islands.

The launch was condemned by Japan, South Korea and the US, who have requested an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council later on Sunday.

The North insists its space programme is purely scientific in nature, but the US, South Korea and even ally China say the rocket launches are aimed at developing an inter-continental ballistic missile capable of striking the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-35515207

Edited by seeder

Well, there you go. I would've bet they'd waited for half time during the Super Bowl.

Shows how wrong you can be.

If the orbit of this little satellite crosses over the continental US we should shoot it down. No questions asked and no excuses given.

• Like 2

If the orbit of this little satellite crosses over the continental US we should shoot it down. No questions asked and no excuses given.

Because an illegal act of aggression against a nuclear armed nation and ally of China is a really good idea,

The USA is a signatory of the UN Outer Space Treaty. The first three principles of that treaty are:

• the exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries and shall be the province of all mankind;
  • outer space shall be free for exploration and use by all States;
  • outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means

In other words North Korea is breaking no international laws in launching this satellite, the USA would breaking international law if it shot it down.

This satellite is small, technically unsophisticated and of no military threat to the USA or anywhere else, so apart from making the USA look like an aggressive terrorist state, what would be the point?

The satellite is not the problem here, the problem is that North Korea is using it's legal right to launch satellites to perfect rocket technology. Rockets that can launch satellites can also be used to launch nuclear warheads. Shooting down the satellite does nothing to solve the problem, it is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. All it would achieve would be to give North Korea the moral high ground and a massive propaganda boost... "see, we told you we needed to protect our selves against the Imperialist American aggressor"

There is a (probably fake) Chinese proverb I heard recently that maybe you should ponder:

When the mosquito lands on the testicles you learn that violence is not the only option.
  • Like 7

I have no problem with North Korea having a space program for scientific purposes, in fact I welcome it.

The only thing that would concern me if this is a build up to putting some kind of arms or weapons in orbit.

With the very little known about NK that thought is understandably a concern.

"My name is Jong-un, I've got a rocket

I've got a rocket, shiny and new

I'm gonna launch it, up into orbit

that's what I'm gonna do!"

Because an illegal act of aggression against a nuclear armed nation and ally of China is a really good idea,

The USA is a signatory of the UN Outer Space Treaty. The first three principles of that treaty are:

• the exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries and shall be the province of all mankind;
  • outer space shall be free for exploration and use by all States;
  • outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means

In other words North Korea is breaking no international laws in launching this satellite, the USA would breaking international law if it shot it down.

This satellite is small, technically unsophisticated and of no military threat to the USA or anywhere else, so apart from making the USA look like an aggressive terrorist state, what would be the point?

The satellite is not the problem here, the problem is that North Korea is using it's legal right to launch satellites to perfect rocket technology. Rockets that can launch satellites can also be used to launch nuclear warheads. Shooting down the satellite does nothing to solve the problem, it is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. All it would achieve would be to give North Korea the moral high ground and a massive propaganda boost... "see, we told you we needed to protect our selves against the Imperialist American aggressor"

There is a (probably fake) Chinese proverb I heard recently that maybe you should ponder:

Not to mention replacing a satellite with a cloud of debris which would endanger other spacecraft in the vicinity - including, perhaps, American satellites and those of American allies.

I have no problem with North Korea having a space program for scientific purposes, in fact I welcome it.

The only thing that would concern me if this is a build up to putting some kind of arms or weapons in orbit.

With the very little known about NK that thought is understandably a concern.

I doubt there's much danger of orbital weapons. If you mean weapons intended to attack targets on Earth, then it actually takes a lot of fuel to get the weapon to the right orbit to be able to attack a target - orbital mechanics is an expensive pain in the backside. And if you mean weapons intended to attack targets in orbit, then it's simply really hard to do (the orbital mechanics thing again, plus the fact that space is big and targets are small and travelling fast).

Breaking news:

Leaked footage of the event has been recovered.

Nk_rocket.jpg

They are now attempting to gain Naval superiority as well.

Nk_ships.jpg

• Like 2

Let's take a moment to congratulate and welcome north Korea to the satellite club.

Agreed, there weren't nearly enough creepy dictators spying on the world :)

Yes, we have been told that. Do we believe it?

We live in a world of lies and deceit coming from governments and mainsteam media. There comes a day in most everyone's life when they begin to question what they have been told, now and for the entire length of their lifetime. Are you there yet?

Most certainly I am.

The only thing we know for sure is that we are supposed to believe that N. Korea has launched rockets. That is really all we know for sure.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

Agreed, there weren't nearly enough creepy dictators spying on the world :)

Via mainstream media and claims made by governments all over the world. I agree with you.

But the real dictators are not IN the media, are not in public awareness. Hey teacher, you are going down.

• Like 1

Where does North Korea get all it's money to do all these things?

What, they starve the people? OK. But where is the money coming from?

What does North Korea actually export that provides them money?

Oh wait, that's right, state-sponsored opium and extremely high quality counterfeit currency.