Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Is Mothman real? Yes or No?


  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: The Mothman (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Mothman Real?

  1. Yes (60 votes [42.25%])

    Percentage of vote: 42.25%

  2. No (46 votes [32.39%])

    Percentage of vote: 32.39%

  3. Dunno' (28 votes [19.72%])

    Percentage of vote: 19.72%

  4. Who is the Mothman? (8 votes [5.63%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61    Crikey

Crikey

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined:09 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

  • I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

We live in exciting times because nowadays there's CCTV everywhere and people carry small compact cameras, so it's just a matter of time before a genuine supernatural event (or UFO etc) is captured on film in close-up high definition.


#62    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,709 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostCrikey, on 11 January 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

We live in exciting times because nowadays there's CCTV everywhere and people carry small compact cameras, so it's just a matter of time before a genuine supernatural event (or UFO etc) is captured on film in close-up high definition.

Why hasn't it happened yet?  We've had that kind of technology at our fingertips for the better part of a decade now.

And if we are to believe the "paranormal experts" and even many on this forum, these things happen every single day.  There are posters here who report 4-5 events a month.  Some even report daily events that happen at the exact same time each day.

Surely if these things were that commonplace, we'd have enough evidence that we'd all be believers beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#63    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,900 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Why hasn't it happened yet?  We've had that kind of technology at our fingertips for the better part of a decade now.

And if we are to believe the "paranormal experts" and even many on this forum, these things happen every single day.  There are posters here who report 4-5 events a month.  Some even report daily events that happen at the exact same time each day.

Surely if these things were that commonplace, we'd have enough evidence that we'd all be believers beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So true. It seems to me we are not looking for the unusual but the commonplace. If you go by encounters we hear frequently on cryptids and the paranormal.


#64    Winterwind

Winterwind

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined:25 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, Ontario

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Why hasn't it happened yet?  We've had that kind of technology at our fingertips for the better part of a decade now.

And if we are to believe the "paranormal experts" and even many on this forum, these things happen every single day.  There are posters here who report 4-5 events a month.  Some even report daily events that happen at the exact same time each day.

Surely if these things were that commonplace, we'd have enough evidence that we'd all be believers beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The simplest answer is because these things are simply fairy tales and fiction. As I said in one of the Bigfoot threads, when I was younger I was willing to believe in all sorts of things. I wanted them to be real. As a child I read plenty of sci-fi/fantasy and wanted to believe in all manner of fantastic and supernatural things. For me, those beliefs faded with time. I still have an open mind to extreme possibilities. But I do require proof in the end.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#65    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

He may well be real, but if he is my bet is that he is some type of spirit being


#66    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostRafterman, on 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Actually didn't happen.  Completely made up bunk by the authors of the book.  In fact the 5-6 reported sightings of the Mothman took place about a year before the bridge even collapsed.

Again, don't just accept the urban legend.  Do your own research and you'll find the story falls apart quite quickly.

Here's a great podcast that lays out the entire story and how the Mothman as we know him today and even his connection to the Silver Bridge collapse was simply a post-hoc creation of two UFO authors trying to sell books.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4159

You can read the transcript or listen to the podcast - it's only about 15 minutes long.

And a shout out to Skeptoid in general.  TONS of great information there.  Winner of the 2012 Stitcher Award for Best Science Podcast.

Enjoy.

huh, ok. I'll keep that in mind when I do my own research. valuable information


#67    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostRafterman, on 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Actually didn't happen.  Completely made up bunk by the authors of the book.  In fact the 5-6 reported sightings of the Mothman took place about a year before the bridge even collapsed.

Again, don't just accept the urban legend.  Do your own research and you'll find the story falls apart quite quickly.

Here's a great podcast that lays out the entire story and how the Mothman as we know him today and even his connection to the Silver Bridge collapse was simply a post-hoc creation of two UFO authors trying to sell books.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4159

You can read the transcript or listen to the podcast - it's only about 15 minutes long.

And a shout out to Skeptoid in general.  TONS of great information there.  Winner of the 2012 Stitcher Award for Best Science Podcast.

Enjoy.


although, the fact remains that these people saw something, and they were all put to the test, most coming up with eerie results that say that they saw something a little more unnatural. that was learned through some time spent at a public library. they may have disproved the idea of the mothman being linked to the bridge collapse, but they havent disproved the sightings. until my own testing is done and until I come up with something conclusive on my own, I still like to have the idea that theres something out there, mothman being the given name.


#68    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,709 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostWolfman1993, on 13 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

although, the fact remains that these people saw something, and they were all put to the test, most coming up with eerie results that say that they saw something a little more unnatural. that was learned through some time spent at a public library. they may have disproved the idea of the mothman being linked to the bridge collapse, but they havent disproved the sightings. until my own testing is done and until I come up with something conclusive on my own, I still like to have the idea that theres something out there, mothman being the given name.

As it states in the podcast, there were actually very few reported sightings that all took place in the same month more than a year from the bridge collapse.  There was little to no consistency in the sightings - some were simply, "I saw a dark shape at my window".  And the most well known of the sightings - the TNT plant - is easily explained as an owl sighting driven by the paranoia of a bunch of panicked teenagers.

I'm sorry, but there's simply not enough here to convince me that the Mothman was anything more than a fanciful tale.  Certainly the idea that it was a harbinger of disaster in Point Pleasant (and in subsequent locations) is a bit silly.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#69    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

As it states in the podcast, there were actually very few reported sightings that all took place in the same month more than a year from the bridge collapse.  There was little to no consistency in the sightings - some were simply, "I saw a dark shape at my window".  And the most well known of the sightings - the TNT plant - is easily explained as an owl sighting driven by the paranoia of a bunch of panicked teenagers.

I'm sorry, but there's simply not enough here to convince me that the Mothman was anything more than a fanciful tale.  Certainly the idea that it was a harbinger of disaster in Point Pleasant (and in subsequent locations) is a bit silly.
    ya, but I'm not trying to convince you haha. you can believe what ever you wanna believe, I would just prefer to do my own research on the subject.


#70    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

As it states in the podcast, there were actually very few reported sightings that all took place in the same month more than a year from the bridge collapse.  There was little to no consistency in the sightings - some were simply, "I saw a dark shape at my window".  And the most well known of the sightings - the TNT plant - is easily explained as an owl sighting driven by the paranoia of a bunch of panicked teenagers.

I'm sorry, but there's simply not enough here to convince me that the Mothman was anything more than a fanciful tale.  Certainly the idea that it was a harbinger of disaster in Point Pleasant (and in subsequent locations) is a bit silly.
and actually, thats something that was put to the test and the results were documented. not saying the entire podcast is wrong, I'm sure that they have their sources, but that was put to the test and most people did manage to prove that they saw something more than just common animals. I'd tell you the book I'm siting, but I'm not that familiar with what the title was, being that I was glancing through stuff to read until I had to go to an appointment. If I had to guess I'd say it was Cryptozoology A-Z, the Encyclopedia of Cryptids

Edited by Wolfman1993, 13 January 2013 - 04:19 PM.


#71    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,709 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostWolfman1993, on 13 January 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

and actually, thats something that was put to the test and the results were documented. not saying the entire podcast is wrong, I'm sure that they have their sources, but that was put to the test and most people did manage to prove that they saw something more than just common animals. I'd tell you the book I'm siting, but I'm not that familiar with what the title was, being that I was glancing through stuff to read until I had to go to an appointment. If I had to guess I'd say it was Cryptozoology A-Z, the Encyclopedia of Cryptids

What test?  Who conducted it?  What were the parameters?  When did it take place?  Documentation please.

Be sure that as you're doing your research, you're paying attention to what you're looking at and where it's drawing its sources from.  The Crypto world is replete with examples of books such as the one your list above that simply quote each other as sources.  Not really well researched if you know what I mean.

Which is why I prefer to look at the actual news reports or use books that draw from those reports of the original incidents.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#72    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 January 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

What test?  Who conducted it?  What were the parameters?  When did it take place?  Documentation please.

Be sure that as you're doing your research, you're paying attention to what you're looking at and where it's drawing its sources from.  The Crypto world is replete with examples of books such as the one your list above that simply quote each other as sources.  Not really well researched if you know what I mean.

Which is why I prefer to look at the actual news reports or use books that draw from those reports of the original incidents.
like I said, I'm not sure what the name of the book is, so I wont be able to remember the name of the person that conducted the study without returning to the library, but as for how reliable some of the books are, I'm aware. part of the reason why I dont restrict my studies to books, and go out for things like interviews and studying the area and animals in the area.


#73    beale947

beale947

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined:18 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male

  • There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

No...

Whilst I will be the first person to say that "The Mothman Prophesies" is an entertaining book, even when I was younger I never once believed the book was true, everything is just...wrong for it to be. I can hope it's true because in reality, the universe is a boring place and stuff like Mothman make it mysterious and exciting again.

But down to reality. Mothman is no more real than Slenderman. Complete fake.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

#74    Crikey

Crikey

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined:09 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

  • I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

[Re CCTVs and compact cameras capturing paranormal activity]- Why hasn't it happened yet?  We've had that kind of technology at our fingertips for the better part of a decade now...

There are hundreds (thousands?) of youtube vids allegedly showing ghosts, UFO's, poltergeists etc, most of which are no doubt deliberate fakes or else have a normal explanation, but how do we tell which are the ones that show genuine real authentic paranormal phenomena?


#75    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostSilentXero, on 06 July 2006 - 06:45 PM, said:

<!--quoteo(post=1259650:date=Jul 6 2006, 06&#58;17 PM:name=Aero_dynamic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aero_dynamic &#064; Jul 6 2006, 06&#58;17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I have,he's relly nice. :devil:bouhahahaha
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure about mothman as being a creature. I believe it would be a type of fallen angel or demon.
Whatever it is, I rebuke it in the name of JESUS!!!
Peace,
<img src="style_emoticons/default/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

BEGONE BEING OF EVIL





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users