Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gates Of Hell

JayMark

I've looked on the web but I can only find very little informations of them.

Very briefly, the most popular beleif is that they are in Pennsylvania near the old mental hospital (in the long driveway actually). Apparently many patients escaped and died in the woods. So I now have numerous questions:

Did the gate legend originated from the mental hospital's story (ie. patients died and haunt the place making it hell in some sort of a way) or they suppose that those deaths are actually associated with them gates (ie. patients died because they unintentionally crossed the gates)?

I've also read that the gates of hell are the big red gates in from of the hospital but also heard they were 7 gates so are there 7 gates (including the big red ones) or only one? And if there are 7 is the big red one of them? Sort of confusing...

So far I've read something about the 7 gates that looked like this (excuse my poor memory):

Gate 1- Demonic dogs will come to guard.

Gate 2- You see ghosts/spirits.

Gate 3- You see more and more spirits.

Gate 4- You see demons.

And to this date, supposedly nobody went past the 5th gate. Apparently, anyone who was brave enough to go throught the 4th one despite all what they saw and felt either died or never returned except for one who was greatly traumatized.

Thanks, I am very interested in this legend. I don't really beleive in hell BUT I do beleive in ghosts, haunting and evil entities.

It is an old urban legend that just about every town has; I don't think that I have ever lived in a place where there wasn't a legend of "The Gates of Hell"in some town that was nearby enough to be familiar, but not so close as to be someplace that was often visited.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that there are no physical gates of hell anywhere in this world.

There are gates to hell in a human sense...Folks that refuse to learn from their mistakes and live on the edge of poverty and misery...folks that get into drugs and the lifestyle that goes with drugs...folks with mental illness that refuse to get help...

There are a lot of ways to go to hell, but none of them are physical...

What is the web site for that?

667901[/snapback]

Well it's been a long time but I checked back today and I found some minor stuff. Lemme link it for ya. It pretty much sums up the kind of things you'll hear about them and it also has a story supposedly from someone who went there.

Linky

All I can find for now is the small legend (mental hospital and murdered patients), some other legends (ie. nobody went throught the 5th one, you see _____ if you go past the ___th gate etc.) and of course some stories from witnesses.

Anyways it's pretty interesting so if some of you guys are interested it'd be nice to find some more stuff about it.

I've also read that you can't see the gates from the street (grass is now 3ft+ high) and that if you do go to the actuall building, you see very weird stuff inside and around. Also, numerous witnesses reported beeing chased by big doberman like dogs (like in the story posted in the link) when they went on the property and that those dogs would vanish once they flew. Strange considering that apparently going throught the 1st gate (if they really are 7) summons those evil guardian dogs.

It is an old urban legend that just about every town has; I don't think that I have ever lived in a place where there wasn't a legend of "The Gates of Hell"in some town that was nearby enough to be familiar, but not so close as to be someplace that was often visited.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that there are no physical gates of hell anywhere in this world.

There are gates to hell in a human sense...Folks that refuse to learn from their mistakes and live on the edge of poverty and misery...folks that get into drugs and the lifestyle that goes with drugs...folks with mental illness that refuse to get help...

There are a lot of ways to go to hell, but none of them are physical...

667917[/snapback]

True that. But I am also referring to the gates of hell (well, in that place) as a highly haunted place, not really a "gate to hell" in the physical form (I don't beleive in hell anyways).

I also saw more than one place beeing refered to as the gates of hell but this one (mental hospital) is quite interesting if you let alone the signification of "gates to hell".

I understand what you mean when you talk about the metaphoric senses of the expression (like drug trap etc.) but that is not the point here as I already heard this expression countless of times.

To be more specific, I want insight (if you have any) on this supposedly haunted place (the mental institution).

I also talked about not one but 7 gates one beeing the front gate itself and the others beeing (supposedly) on the way back to Toad Road (Trout Run Road actually). I also highly doubt they are referring to physical gates (like the main one). Maby going to the haunted site will upset some spirits and then, on your way back they taunt and scare you thus the "gates to hell".

Thanks guys. Very nice site and board if I may say, glad to have joined you.

I live about 30 miles from Pennsylvania, I’ve heard repeated telling of this story. I’ve heard a tale where a car chases you down the hill when your near the gates, yet when you’ve ran to the bottom, there is no car in sight. It’s a pretty weird story…I’m not taking my chances going 100 feet near it…

Yea, I've heard lots of strange stuff concerning this place, let alone the gates of hell.

I would go but I wouldn't cross the gates alone. Not that I fear ghosts in general but this place is rather full of evil as well and I surely don't want one of them to come back home with me.

Good one DB.

I think we really call them gates of hell because they are haunted and that would be logical as those haunted sites often have gates or doors leading to them explaining the weird stuff happening there.

I've looked into two of the better known "gates of hell" the one in Stull Cemetery in Kansas and Spider Gates Cemetery in MA. My personal conclusion is that its just so much bs. Getting into Hell is easy and the only ones who can leave with impuntiy are demons. They don't need gates, and vortexs they enter where they choose. While I didn't directly investigate(just checked the lore) either site a very good freind of mine, investigator John Zaffis, has gone to spider gates and he also consider the stories mythjcal.

I've looked into two of the better known "gates of hell" the one in Stull Cemetery in Kansas and Spider Gates Cemetery in MA.  My personal conclusion is that its just so much bs.  Getting into Hell is easy and the only ones who can leave with impuntiy are demons.  They don't need gates, and vortexs they enter where they choose.  While I didn't directly investigate(just checked the lore) either site a very good freind of mine, investigator John Zaffis, has gone to spider gates and he also consider the stories mythjcal.

669276[/snapback]

Did you happen to read all my posts? I clearly stated two times that those "gates of hell" could just be very haunted sites. I also said I didn't beleive in hell so I neither think these are actually gates leading to hell.

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with hell but more with ghosts and evil entities. It's just that those places are also called gates of hell so I thought you'd recorgnize them more if I called them this way instead of _______'s old mental hospital for an example.

Edited by JayMark

I live within a 20 minute drive or so from Stull cemetery here in Kansas. I first started going there back in the 1970's, 71 or 72 actually. The story started from a story a college student wrote for the campus newspaper and spread like wild fire. There were all sorts of stories and I didn't check all of them out but I have spent a few hours in this cemetery. Then some rock band put the cemetery on the cover of their album and you can imagine where it went from there. They have now put up fence when there never used to be a need for it. They cut down a tree that had all sorts of ridiculous stories about it going around hoping to stop people from going into this cemetery. It was a great tree more than 100 years old and it was cut down because of some guy that was desperate for something to write about in English class. I study ghosts and it is the human race that has me totally baffled. They have also torn down the old church that was once perched above the cemetery. It is important to remember that drugs were alive and well at the time this story first broke and I would advise anyone thinking of a trip to this cemetery to check out some other place. The fact that it was witnessed means nothing after a case of beer and ounce of weed. You would probably get more excitement investigating closed shopping center and that is no joke. Really, don't waste time money or energy on this place unless you know someone that happens to be buried there. Then take them some flowers and give them the peace they deserve.

I bet the place you are talking about got started in a similar manor. Hey it might have started out with the exact same paper written here at Kansas University with a few name changes. Wouldn't be the first time a student borrowed a paper.

Edited by BirdsMom

LOL!!! That is hilarious! Well I know what you mean.....that is just funny when people try to confirm their take but don't know the whole story or actually what you are really talking about. I never heard of that place though. If it has had high paranormal activity there and is known for such hauntings I'd figure it would be somewhere on the web or somebody might have a clue but I know that you and xoisk know the place. Well if you have any more information about it then post that motha lova!

Well that would make sense then BirdsMom. People always got to be starting crap huh? I wished I lived in the sixties-seventies..... I'd be seeing me a lot of concerts......got to love the Eagles!

LOL!!! That is hilarious! Well I know what you mean.....that is just funny when people try to confirm their take but don't know the whole story or actually what you are really talking about. I never heard of that place though.  If it has had high paranormal activity there and is known for such hauntings I'd figure it would be somewhere on the web or somebody might have a clue but I know that you and xoisk know the place. Well if you have any more information about it then post that motha lova!

669750[/snapback]

Good point but think about it there are so many haunted places in the world you can't expect them all to be listed on the web with detailed infos.

It's just that this place might be in some place where not so many people go so that's why we don't hear about it much. The few ones that went there could surely help clarifiying the mystery but I doubt we'll find them...

I don't know. The fact that this place is supposed to get sequentially more haunted the further you go, tells me that it's probably just an interesting legend..

It seems to me that most places that are actually haunted just are..There's no specific order you have to go through to trigger the supernatural. And you certainly don't increase hauntings by walking a few feet farther..

I think it's a fun story, but that's probably all...

You do have a valid point there. Maybe Dante's Inferno might have influenced or enhanced the story out of the original.

Not a bad thought. The Inferno inspired much modern day mythology about Hell..

Did you happen to read all my posts? I clearly stated two times that those "gates of hell" could just be very haunted sites. I also said I didn't beleive in hell so I neither think these are actually gates leading to hell.

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with hell but more with ghosts and evil entities. It's just that those places are also called gates of hell so I thought you'd recorgnize them more if I called them this way instead of _______'s old mental hospital for an example.

From what I've seen thats not even true. Spider gates for example apparently has little to no activity what so ever. By and large these are myths every town has its urban legends of haunted houses and in many cases thats all they are.

Indeed it did. I'd enjoyed the book and the imagination. Any story with "levels" and hell you just have to do the association yourself you know?

Yea I agree with pretty much everything you said.

If I had known about other places called "gates to hell" before making the topic I would'nt have been as interested into it. But now that you mention that many places are called that and that many of them aren't haunted I also start to have a serious doubt in the whole story.

Plus I agree that the fact that it gets worst and worst the further you go seems farfetched (the seven gates). But on another side, it could be true (although less probable).

Maby that the hospital is haunted and that the closer you get to it, the more aware you are that strange things occur there thus looking like some sort of a sequential haunting as Falco Rex said.

It's just that some people will always amplify what they saw/felt and quickly jump on some conclusion that don't make any sense when you back off and take a look at it.

So yea, it's either bs or simply another haunted site although not as bad as we may think.

Edited by JayMark

I’ve never found cemetery’s of haunted places, it seems that’s where your soul is laid to rest.

I’ve never found cemetery’s of haunted places, it seems that’s where your soul is laid to rest.

670177[/snapback]

True but keep in mind that not everyone burried in a cemetery had a peacefull and natural death. Some died tragically either by getting killed or in a terrible accident and IMO that is enough for them to be stuck in this world even though theire body is burried under a tombstone.

According to one of my close friend who is sensitive to this stuff, cemetaries are full of spirits. Many will be free spirits in peace that just came by (she says cemetaries are/have gates to the other world) but some will just be confused spirits desesperatly seeking for help and/or a way to cross over. She says that while she looks at them, some will notice her ability and just stare at her for a moment without necessarly any intention, maby they are just glad that some people can see them (anyone dead or alive like to get some attention sometimes).

These are just my 2 cents as I am not sensitive thus can't prove it even to myself.

agreed...I might just drive up to hell’s gate in Pennsylvania sometime…If I go I’ll be sure to bring a camera so I can post stuff up here!

How haunted a cemetery is depends on a lot of factors. To be quite honest cemeteries are among the least active haunted locations. Ones that have activity generally speaking do so for a couple of reasons:

1) Violence has happened in the cemetery itself

2) One or more of those interred have gotten the idea they aren't dead and can some how enter there body and continue living

3) Some group has practice black magick rituals in the cemetery or other wise fooled with Ouija boards or similar forms of necromancy

4)Some form of desecration has occured there(ie building some thing on top of it, grave robbing, etc)

I've been to a few incredibly active cemeteries. Then again i've been to others that don't seem to have any activity.