Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran Nuclear Program: U.S. Believes

ExpandMyMind

WASHINGTON, Aug 9 (Reuters) - The United States still believes that Iran is not on the verge of having a nuclear weapon and that Tehran has not made a decision to pursue one, U.S. officials said on Thursday.

Their comments came after Israeli media reports claimed U.S. President Barack Obama had received a new National Intelligence Estimate saying Iran had made significant and surprising progress toward military nuclear capability.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/iran-nuclear-program-us_n_1762134.html

• Like 1

Not surprising since we totaled the facility that could have enriched uranium with a computer virus. But why would the Isaeli press fabricate suc nonsense?

Not surprising since we totaled the facility that could have enriched uranium with a computer virus. But why would the Isaeli press fabricate suc nonsense?

Maybe because they want to attack Iran and know they can't get away with it without Americas backing.

Just a wild guess.

Br Cornelius

Maybe because they want to attack Iran and know they can't get away with it without Americas backing.

Just a wild guess.

Br Cornelius

Must have taken you ages to think of that. :tu:

So the world community seems to have a serious problem with Iran possessing a nuke but no problem with them having all the components of same - unassembled? The idea being, I guess, that intel would give advanced warning before they could assemble such a device for use? My guess is that Netanyahu has been trying to get the job done by us and now that he sees it isn't going to happen he will begin to tone down his rhetoric before he looks even more like a fool. Either that or Israel kicks A'jad in the &***zz in October just prior to election day. A nuclear armed Iran will set the whole world on a hair trigger because of Iran's adventurism against the US and Israel...especially Israel. Those here who dislike Israel and the US and who will be pleased by Iran getting their bomb might want to consider that...

so did they sent their lapdog " usa " to do the dirty work ? or not yet ?

like that nuclear would ever be threat to israel

if they ever threat to use it .. iran would attack gulf and arabic countries .. not israel

So the world community seems to have a serious problem with Iran possessing a nuke but no problem with them having all the components of same - unassembled? The idea being, I guess, that intel would give advanced warning before they could assemble such a device for use? My guess is that Netanyahu has been trying to get the job done by us and now that he sees it isn't going to happen he will begin to tone down his rhetoric before he looks even more like a fool. Either that or Israel kicks A'jad in the &***zz in October just prior to election day. A nuclear armed Iran will set the whole world on a hair trigger because of Iran's adventurism against the US and Israel...especially Israel. Those here who dislike Israel and the US and who will be pleased by Iran getting their bomb might want to consider that...

i hardly feel safe knowing that Israel is in possession of a Nuclear arsenal. Religious fanatics of any flavour in possession of WMD are a scary thought.

Br Cornelius

i hardly feel safe knowing that Israel is in possession of a Nuclear arsenal. Religious fanatics of any flavour in possession of WMD are a scary thought.

Br Cornelius

It's even worse than that brutha....Netanyahu comes from a family of ....HISTORIANS bu wahahahaha. Israel is as secular as the US...in fact maybe more so. And Israel is a proven actor with these things after a history of 40+ years... no incidents or accidents and they don't go around using them as a club - just a subtle reminder. What bothers you is that they have a deterrent that keeps their neighbors in line for the most part.

if they ever threat to use it .. iran would attack gulf and arabic countries .. not israel

Case in point Br Cornelius....here's someone who lives in the region and he assumes they will be aimed at the Arabic countries. Hmmm...S.A. collects their pre paid nukes from Pakistan. Egypt gets all "bomb envy" and starts building... Israel is looking in several directions at once and on a heightened alert status 24/7. What's not to love about the Iranian bomb?

Edited to add: Thanks KoS for making my point for me about the dangers posed by Iranian nukes to the region.

Edited by and then

It's even worse than that brutha....Netanyahu comes from a family of ....HISTORIANS bu wahahahaha. Israel is as secular as the US...in fact maybe more so. And Israel is a proven actor with these things after a history of 40+ years... no incidents or accidents and they don't go around using them as a club - just a subtle reminder. What bothers you is that they have a deterrent that keeps their neighbors in line for the most part.

The Israeli govt is not secular. It is full of right wing religious extremists at this present moment in time.

Personally I think Israel should be made to give up their nuclear weapons, and be given a public promise from the U.S. that states if they are ever attacked first, then the U.S. will intervene, and that if they are ever attacked by nukes then the U.S. will respond in kind.

Israel having nukes in that region is only going to spur other nervous nations on to gain them also. This is why Iran had a nuclear weapons program before it was cancelled in 2003. People seem unable to realise that ISRAEL is the country that has started a nuclear arms race in that region.

Also, according to numerous independent polls in the region, the people of Middle Eastern countries are not afraid of Iran possessing nuclear weapons. They believe it will even the power in the region. It it is tin pot U.S. protected dictatorships who are afraid of such a scenario, for fear it will eventually end their status quo of repression and riches.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/10/u-s-warns-europe-to-prepare-for-terrorist-attacks-by-iranian-backed-hezbollah/#.UCV3iAQdUxk.facebook

Looks like we are getting mixed reports on whether Iran is a threat or not... lol

Terrorist route works best for them though.

The Israeli govt is not secular. It is full of right wing religious extremists at this present moment in time.

Personally I think Israel should be made to give up their nuclear weapons, and be given a public promise from the U.S. that states if they are ever attacked first, then the U.S. will intervene, and that if they are ever attacked by nukes then the U.S. will respond in kind.

Israel having nukes in that region is only going to spur other nervous nations on to gain them also. This is why Iran had a nuclear weapons program before it was cancelled in 2003. People seem unable to realise that ISRAEL is the country that has started a nuclear arms race in that region.

Also, according to numerous independent polls in the region, the people of Middle Eastern countries are not afraid of Iran possessing nuclear weapons. They believe it will even the power in the region. It it is tin pot U.S. protected dictatorships who are afraid of such a scenario, for fear it will eventually end their status quo of repression and riches.

Israel has been a nuclear power since the 60's. Either the neighboring States have been taking a LOT of valium for a long time...or Israel has behaved in such a way (even during wars) that caused no real anxiety. Not sure where your independent polls are from but the governments of the region despise and fear Iran. The people of the region simply despise Israel and soon enough I think they will get what they have wished for - an all out war to slaughter the Jews. Only problem is they are going to lose spectacularly...again....
  • Like 1

So why do you imagine that Iran would suddenly Nuke Israel if they had them. Is it simply racial prejudice which allows you to believe that Israel is a responsible holder of Nukes but Iran is not. Let us not forget that the only country which has used Nukes in an act of War is America - are we to be afraid that America will suddenly decide to do so again.

Br Cornelius

So why do you imagine that Iran would suddenly Nuke Israel if they had them. Is it simply racial prejudice which allows you to believe that Israel is a responsible holder of Nukes but Iran is not. Let us not forget that the only country which has used Nukes in an act of War is America - are we to be afraid that America will suddenly decide to do so again.

Br Cornelius

You never can tell brutha...we Americans are a vicious lot. Israel has a demonstrated history of moderation and rationality where these weapons are concerned. Iran has a record of attacking and killing citizens of other countries through acts of terror. It is the "shield" effect that worries me about Iran, not their overt use of a nuke. Their leaders are cowards who kill from the shadows or by using paid assassins in Hezballah. But the groups that work with Iran might feel some level of impunity to attack and THAT could lead to regional war.

You never can tell brutha...we Americans are a vicious lot. Israel has a demonstrated history of moderation and rationality where these weapons are concerned. Iran has a record of attacking and killing citizens of other countries through acts of terror. It is the "shield" effect that worries me about Iran, not their overt use of a nuke. Their leaders are cowards who kill from the shadows or by using paid assassins in Hezballah. But the groups that work with Iran might feel some level of impunity to attack and THAT could lead to regional war.

Iran doesn't have any such record. They fund groups - have funded groups - that were in a legitimate battle for survival against Israel. They didn't provide funding to Hezbollah and state ' you must kill citizens of Israel or America with this money', as you seem to suggest. They provided the means for legitimate resistance organisations for their struggle. This is before we even recognise that Hezbollah primarily attacked military targets (it was Hamas that killed civilians in retaliation of the Occupation).

Your view of Iran is warped. More so when we consider the events that the U.S. is responsible for against them, before we even mention the brutal and illegal sanctions now installed against them. What about the Iranian commercial plane that was brought down by the U.S. Navy? The brutal regime the U.S. installed and backed, etc, etc, etc.

Iran doesn't have any such record. They fund groups - have funded groups - that were in a legitimate battle for survival against Israel. They didn't provide funding to Hezbollah and state ' you must kill citizens of Israel or America with this money', as you seem to suggest. They provided the means for legitimate resistance organisations for their struggle. This is before we even recognise that Hezbollah primarily attacked military targets (it was Hamas that killed civilians in retaliation of the Occupation).

Your view of Iran is warped. More so when we consider the events that the U.S. is responsible for against them, before we even mention the brutal and illegal sanctions now installed against them. What about the Iranian commercial plane that was brought down by the U.S. Navy? The brutal regime the U.S. installed and backed, etc, etc, etc.

Ex, when Iran finally assembles their nuclear weapon at some point future the region will become a ticking trap just waiting for a mistake to be made by an unwary or thoughtless person on one side or another. With the hatreds that exist on both sides it's only a matter of time before a miscalculation is made. Look at Lebanon in '06. Even Nasrallah was shocked at the Israeli actions countering the kidnapping. And miss-communication between "friends" is likely to be as dangerous as miss-communication between enemies. If the Hezzies get itchy and decide to make a particularly bold move without specific instructions and an Israeli pol or general is having a bad month, suddenly the region is on fire and brinksmanship comes into play. AND these enemies genuinely hate each other and have no effective system in place for talking things back from the brink. A modern use of one of these weapons will be very bad for us all and it seems to be a growing possibility these days.

Ex, when Iran finally assembles their nuclear weapon at some point future the region will become a ticking trap just waiting for a mistake to be made by an unwary or thoughtless person on one side or another. With the hatreds that exist on both sides it's only a matter of time before a miscalculation is made. Look at Lebanon in '06. Even Nasrallah was shocked at the Israeli actions countering the kidnapping. And miss-communication between "friends" is likely to be as dangerous as miss-communication between enemies. If the Hezzies get itchy and decide to make a particularly bold move without specific instructions and an Israeli pol or general is having a bad month, suddenly the region is on fire and brinksmanship comes into play. AND these enemies genuinely hate each other and have no effective system in place for talking things back from the brink. A modern use of one of these weapons will be very bad for us all and it seems to be a growing possibility these days.

I can't see how anyone would actually use a full on nuke.... I do not see it happening. Iran hasn't attacked nayone in a long time, their only war was an attack from Iraq. They have seen what the NATO forces can do. Do you relaly think they would be that stupid?!

Talk about Lebanon '06'? Hezbollah took hostages? How many hostages does Israel hold of Lebanon? Which was the whole reason for Hezbollah acting in the manner they did. Israel holds thousands of Lebanese and Palestinians hostages. After all, it is the only country in the world too actually legalise hostage taking...

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Talk about Lebanon '06'? Hezbollah took hostages? How many hostages does Israel hold of Lebanon? Which was the whole reason for Hezbollah acting in the manner they did. Israel holds thousands of Lebanese and Palestinians hostages. After all, it is the only country in the world too actually legalise hostage taking...

You take all the points I just made, serious points, and distill them down to "they started it"? That kind of argument is going to seem a bit lightweight the day after a bomb goes of in a M.E. country, or even worse, somewhere in the West. My point is that adding another nuclear power into an unstable part of the world just because one doesn't like Israel isn't very smart. It's called "cutting off your nose to spite your face" in the south. Hezballah has as it's only real goal in life the destruction of the State of Israel. It's been that way since their inception. If you support Hezballah then one must assume you support their stated goals. How is it that you cannot grasp that this conflict is leading the whole world into a very dangerous, even existentially threatening situation? Or is your dislike/hatred of Israel so strong that you are willing to risk everything to see them defeated? I saw a news article today that may sum it all up. To paraphrase: The world doesn't believe Netanyahu will attack Iran- they don't believe he's serious so they're not worried. Is that the place your attitudes come from? You don't think it's anything more than an academic exercise? And you consider me to be deluded because of my faith...it's ironic IMO.

Who is the only nuclear state in the middle east with a reputation for belligerent assaults on its neighbours to grab territory. Who should be afraid of been attacked unilaterally by a nuclear power ? Who has openly stated that they will take pre-emptive strikes against Iran ?

It looks entirely reasonable to want to own a nuclear deterrent in such a situation ?

You ask us to trust Israel when its political system is dominated by maniacal religious fanatics who believe they have a divine right to do whatever they damn well like, and who are backed by a bunch of crazies who would like nothing better than to see Israel go up in a mushroom cloud so that their Messiah can come back.

I would be genuinely terrified if I was an Iranian.

Who here is dangerously delusional ??

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Who is the only nuclear state in the middle east with a reputation for belligerent assaults on its neighbours to grab territory. Who should be afraid of been attacked unilaterally by a nuclear power ? Who has openly stated that they will take pre-emptive strikes against Iran ?

It looks entirely reasonable to want to own a nuclear deterrent in such a situation ?

You ask us to trust Israel when its political system is dominated by maniacal religious fanatics who believe they have a divine right to do whatever they damn well like, and who are backed by a bunch of crazies who would like nothing better than to see Israel go up in a mushroom cloud so that their Messiah can come back.

I would be genuinely terrified if I was an Iranian.

Who here is dangerously delusional ??

Br Cornelius

Is this a belief you ascribe to Christians? I live in the "Bible Belt" and have never heard such a statement. The return of Jesus is spoken of hundreds of times in scripture and NO reference is made that any action need be taken by His followers to precipitate it. NONE. In fact we are told just the opposite. That NO Man knows when it will happen, only the "season" or general time frame. As to the maniacal Israeli government, they've had the bomb since the 60's. I haven't noticed any mushroom clouds yet. Those "belligerent assaults" were to keep from being pushed into the sea. BTW...if the idiot Arabs want to keep losing land then let them keep attacking. Edited by and then

This is just a blog piece but it sets out how prominent Evangelicals want a war to break out in the Middle East so that Biblical prophecy can be forfilled;

http://www.washingto...ainst-iran.html

It points to why we should be very distrustful of any moves made against Iran. This is why Christian fundamentalists scare the **** out of me. I saw a BBC documentary (Louis Theroux) following evangelical Americans on a bus tour of the Israel, where the tourists openly expressed the opinion that Israel must hold all of the territory promised in the Bible and that Israel would all be wiped out as a precursor to the return of the Messiah.

A documentary laying out the apocalyptic beliefs of evangelicals;

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA2j3OZ4wKU[/media]

Crazy Crazy Crazy :td:

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

That Documentary is scary as hell. To think people believe that garbage, it's them making it come true. Not some work of "god".

That Documentary is scary as hell. To think people believe that garbage, it's them making it come true. Not some work of "god".

So by believing in the Bible and what it says, Christians are somehow causing the problems in the M.E.? Just by believing and telling others... that's pretty impressive. This documentary is interesting and I have no doubt that some Christians are intimately involved in industries that could push some agenda. But the numbers don't work. Most Christians are not involved in such things. The thing that scares people like Br C and yourself is the mere possibility that at some point you may lose control over your life and your will. The sad thing is that this control you mourn is only an illusion anyhow. Later today the phone could ring and crush your life with horrible personal news (God forbid it). A news report of a major war breaking out... a flu or some other plague that there is no cure for might flare in your area. THIS is the reality of life. These people have a belief system that differs from your's but it shouldn't threaten you - it should encourage you if you really want hope for a better future. Yes, the world is descending into a great darkness but that darkness is man made. Not caused by God. It would happen anyway. He offers hope for a peace beyond what we have been capable of providing ourselves.

The gloom and doom these people are speaking of is not imaginary - unless you don't believe the Bible. And if you don't believe the Bible then relax...no problem, right? What I hear in your words is a desperate attempt to find a human element to blame for what's coming. So you choose to blame the messengers. It doesn't help but you aren't the first to try it.

So by believing in the Bible and what it says, Christians are somehow causing the problems in the M.E.? Just by believing and telling others... that's pretty impressive. This documentary is interesting and I have no doubt that some Christians are intimately involved in industries that could push some agenda. But the numbers don't work. Most Christians are not involved in such things. The thing that scares people like Br C and yourself is the mere possibility that at some point you may lose control over your life and your will. The sad thing is that this control you mourn is only an illusion anyhow. Later today the phone could ring and crush your life with horrible personal news (God forbid it). A news report of a major war breaking out... a flu or some other plague that there is no cure for might flare in your area. THIS is the reality of life. These people have a belief system that differs from your's but it shouldn't threaten you - it should encourage you if you really want hope for a better future. Yes, the world is descending into a great darkness but that darkness is man made. Not caused by God. It would happen anyway. He offers hope for a peace beyond what we have been capable of providing ourselves.

The gloom and doom these people are speaking of is not imaginary - unless you don't believe the Bible. And if you don't believe the Bible then relax...no problem, right? What I hear in your words is a desperate attempt to find a human element to blame for what's coming. So you choose to blame the messengers. It doesn't help but you aren't the first to try it.

There is an excellent Christian moral philosophy book called "Dancing to Armageddon" about the corrosive effects ancient Biblical myths on people perceptions about their duty for stewardship of the Earth.

You should drop all the Mythical Biblical Mumbo Jumbo and follow Jesus' actual message which was to "Love thy Neighbour". If all Christians did the same we would all be in a much better place.

Br Cornelius