Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

nfl gay sports stars gay rights

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#46    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

Actually, I'm aware it's not a gay marriage thread.  If you also take notice, I'm retorting to all the bigotry I'm seeing.  It's not me shifting the conversation, I'm just aggressively rebutting the nonsense I'm reading. No one is forcing you to take an interest, what will be forced (eventually) is fair treatment.

Again G-D 777 you've lost me.

What bigotry? What nonsense? Seems to me like you've taken a majority of the previous posts like an  attack against your personal beliefs. Chill out. Just because someone doesn't care one way or the other does not make them a bigot or racist.

#47    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

When you say "you all" it sort of puts me in there too.

That comment has always irritated me because it's not logical. I'm supposed to say I don't associate with blacks or gays, because if I do I'm prejudiced?

C'mon Michelle, you're smarting than that.  You're not supposed to be prejudice over things people can't control.  I have black friends, gay friends, weird friends, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There is something wrong with making a prejudice laced statement, then trying to justify it with, "It's cool, my _____ is black, gay, etc."

Really, your comments are not that inflammatory.  You only got drug into this because I made a generalization about people and their "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude.  You displayed some signs of that attitude, so I did generalize you into that group.  If you are not part of that group, then I apologize.  If you are part of that group, I stand by my statements.

Either way, I still don't think you're a hateful bigot :)

#48    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,159 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

C'mon Michelle, you're smarting than that.  You're not supposed to be prejudice over things people can't control.  I have black friends, gay friends, weird friends, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There is something wrong with making a prejudice laced statement, then trying to justify it with, "It's cool, my _____ is black, gay, etc."

Really, your comments are not that inflammatory.  You only got drug into this because I made a generalization about people and their "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude.  You displayed some signs of that attitude, so I did generalize you into that group.  If you are not part of that group, then I apologize.  If you are part of that group, I stand by my statements.

Either way, I still don't think you're a hateful bigot :)

Uh, well...thank you. :unsure2:

But, I would like for you to show me where I said anything about keeping it behind closed doors, if you would be so kind.

Edited by Michelle, 26 March 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#49    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Weird, the states get to make some of their own rules, which isn't in the U.S. Constitution.

Ahem....

never mind....  There's no arguing with a zealot,  nor is there pointing out facts...

so I guess I'll just be quiet on this one.

real quiet..

tenth amendment.

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#50    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 26 March 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

Again G-D 777 you've lost me.

What bigotry? What nonsense? Seems to me like you've taken a majority of the previous posts like an  attack against your personal beliefs. Chill out. Just because someone doesn't care one way or the other does not make them a bigot or racist.

Some of the first nonsense came from your post.  In the face of facts, you can still claim it's a choice.

Not once did I call someone who is removed from the debate a bigot or racist.  Also, I didn't call anyone a racist.  A bigot?  I only call them like I see them, and someone who wants to deny someone the same rights as someone else based off of inherited traits is, by definition, a bigot.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigot

#51    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 26 March 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Ahem....

never mind....  There's no arguing with a zealot,  nor is there pointing out facts...

so I guess I'll just be quiet on this one.

real quiet..

tenth amendment.

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That amendment grants the states the power to do just as I said.

Prostitution and gambling are legal in some states, and not others.  I can't think of an amendment that says prostitution is or isn't legal, and the same with gambling. So, in Nevada, it's a right to gamble, but it's not a right granted by the U.S. constitution.. Is that easier to follow?

#52    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Uh, well...thank you. :unsure2:

But, I would like for you to show me where I said anything about keeping it behind closed doors, if you would be so kind.

"I don't understand the need to "come out". If people don't make a big deal out of being gay, but don't hide it, it usually doesn't make a blip on the radar. Look at Lilly Tomlin, Anthony Perkins, Paul Lynn, Roddy McDowel and Agnes Moorehead. None of them made a big deal of it, everyone knew and it didn't matter at all."

This is what led me to that assumption.

Again, if you are not part of that group, I apologize.

#53    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,159 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

"I don't understand the need to "come out". If people don't make a big deal out of being gay, but don't hide it, it usually doesn't make a blip on the radar. Look at Lilly Tomlin, Anthony Perkins, Paul Lynn, Roddy McDowel and Agnes Moorehead. None of them made a big deal of it, everyone knew and it didn't matter at all."

#54    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,540 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

That amendment grants the states the power to do just as I said.

Prostitution and gambling are legal in some states, and not others.  I can't think of an amendment that says prostitution is or isn't legal, and the same with gambling. So, in Nevada, it's a right to gamble, but it's not a right granted by the U.S. constitution.. Is that easier to follow?

Do you know the difference between laws and rights?

#55    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 9,534 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Is this still the NFL thread?

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#56    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

I'm not going to say it a third time.

#57    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 26 March 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Do you know the difference between laws and rights?

Yes, and rights are granted by laws.

You know what, I'm wrong.

I'm just going to answer the question to the title of the thread.  Yes, I think the NFL is ready, but I don't think a lot of their 'macho' fans are.

#58    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,159 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'm not going to say it a third time.

I understand that and thank you.

It just seemed like you and I weren't on the same page. I'm glad we are now. :tu:

#59    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

You know what, I'm wrong.

:)

#60    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Some of the first nonsense came from your post.  In the face of facts, you can still claim it's a choice.

Not once did I call someone who is removed from the debate a bigot or racist.  Also, I didn't call anyone a racist.  A bigot?  I only call them like I see them, and someone who wants to deny someone the same rights as someone else based off of inherited traits is, by definition, a bigot.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigot

My first post was about Political Correctness. I made no claim about anything remotely to do with "choice". I just don't give a s#%t is someone is gay or not. Just like I don't care what color they are. I like and respect the people in my life based on how they live their lives thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users