Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time travel possible - Wrapped up into one answer

cheezsmp

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheLight

• saxcatz

• Saru

• j6p

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very... VERY... WRONG.

Recent experiments have suggested otherwise. Try posting something intelligent or informative.

Very... VERY... WRONG.

Recent experiments have suggested otherwise. Try posting something intelligent or informative.

saxcatz,

can you post some links dealing with these experiments? Personaly I've never heard of any experimental facts proving that time travel is possible.

cheezsmp it would help if you provided the reasoning behind that conclusion, why do you feel that Time Travel is impossible ?

Very... VERY... WRONG.

Recent experiments have suggested otherwise.  Try posting something intelligent or informative.

saxcatz,

can you post some links dealing with these experiments? Personaly I've never heard of any experimental facts proving that time travel is possible.

Never said they proved it was possible...

But several experiments have suggested that it very well may be. For example, the one that is under discussion on this board right now that took place at NEC in Princeton (where the broke the speed of light)... breaking the speed of light is the first step towards time travel.

LINK

I believe we have a troll on our hands here...

Cheezsmp has made four posts so far; and his three active posts consist of the following:

"Oh well"

"Bleh"

"No."

Articulate to the end, cheezsmp!

laugh.gif

He/She is the skeptical funny person! Maybe it's "Diamond JO" aka "fruitcakesanonymous" yet under another screen name! You never know!

Depends what you mean by time travel. Time traveling forward in time has already been proven possible and realized experimentally to verify the theory of general relativity (Einstein). It was done by synchronizing two atomic clocks at different heights (I think they used one on top of the Eiffel tower) and after one year they were desynchronized by 1 tick. So basically one clock traveled ahead in time by one tick. Somehow you can see the phenomenon in reverse but that doesn't mean you traveled back, just forward but slower.

Blaze,

just read the special relativity of Einstein (it's rather simple mathematics) and you'll see that's very simple. You can also find a different way in the general relativity (but then the mathematics are pretty hard).

Basically either you travel fast (special relativity) or you get to a place where the gravity is null (if you could find a place where gravity is negative that would even be better, but we don't know if it exists or not in our current state of research - but I have the feeling that it exists -no comment-) and that's the general relativity.

TheLight

Light, you mentioned negative gravity. I picture a perfect vacuum containing absolutely nothing being drawn to an area of negative gravity. What do you see the reaction being if these two conditions meet?

Here's my answer:

Positive gravity, two objects attracks each other.

Negative gravity, two objects should push each other away (like two magnets showing each other the same pole).

Now if there's a vacuum combined with negative gravity, then the vacuum would grow in size since particles outside the vacuum would tend to push each other away. But again this is pure conjecture since we have no evidence of negative gravity as far as I know. But I saw someone (Jean-Pierre Petit, French Researcher from National Center of French Scientifical Research - CNRS) explaining the rotation of galaxies by this effect (rather than using the suspicious dark matter/energy).

if i'm not mistaken i read an article on discovery channels website some time back where the military was experimenting with time travel using magnetic force. according to the article they were using a ship as the test run. when they finally used people on the ship, something went wrong and the ship disappeared like on the test run but when it came back this time the people were fused together with the ship. people were like half out of the floor, body parts hanging out of the walls.

if i'm not mistaken they were running these test in the 1940s or 50s.

That was known as the 'Philadelphia Experiment'

Here's a link to a page with the full story :

Click Here.

My theory on time travel:

If you travel faster than light, then it would be possible to arrive at your destination before you've actually left. I suppose if you can go fast enough you could arrive a few years before you left.

So I believe it will be possible in the extreemly distant future. But then you can ask "why aren't there people from the future here with us now" but there may be. Perhaps they're invisible, perhaps they just haven't told us. Perhaps UFOs are really time machines and Aliens are our evolved selves.

Perhaps UFOs are really time machines and Aliens are our evolved selves.

OMG that is an AWESOME theory!!!! I really like that one! Makes you think!!! It's very possible!

I like the idea Pendo, but if it were true, its a little worrying.

The basic image of an alien is 'the greys' alien.gif , so if they were ourselves way, way, way in the future, then the earth must have had a major climate change.

I think that the sun must have started to die out:

1. the greys are naked but have no sun tan

2. their blood (I think) is not red so this would meen they do not breath the same air as we do, possibly plant life is starting to die so less oxygen.

3. they have very big eyes, nocturnal animals have big eyes, so they can see in the dark.

may-be that is why they keep comming back and experimenting on people so that they can find ways to keep themselves alive in the future.

Just a possible idea.

If you travel faster than light, then it would be possible to arrive at your destination before you've actually left. I suppose if you can go fast enough you could arrive a few years before you left.

How do you come to the conclusion than when you travel faster than light you arrive before you left ? If you run faster than someone you don't before this person left.

I wonder what you mean also by traveling faster than light, do you mean faster than the light speed in a vacuum ? But even though I don't see how you could arrive before you left because of that. Some experiments seems to show that the light appears to come out before it left in some given circumstances but that's an unexplained phenomenon so far.

As that I'm a newbie, I'd only offer a couple of interesting items for consideration.

a ) for one to surmise that time travel is NOT possible you would have to subscribe to the theory that time is linear and that each fraction of existence can be measured. If this is the case then where does the line begin and end? If it does not, then is it a line at all?

b ) there are schools of thought on the matter that have time represented as a "liquid" (for lack of a better term) and it is theorized that travelling through time is not a matter of direction but a matter of velocity and viscosity (I think that was it)... but to expound on the details of this would be time consuming and rather boring for most of you to be sure! Not only that but I'm still sketchy on the details. If you want more info on this hypothesis, check out scientific american from around june/july this year (could be a month or so off, but it's there).

To clarify...it's widely accepted that if you travel at the speed of light you won't go BACK in time...you'll arrive at a different "moment but to the observer, you may arrive before departing (i.e. I remember hearing of the super accelerator in Texas getting a gold particle to go past light and the fraction of it that went past light speed crashed into it's own back end, thus relatively arriving before it finished departing)...my head is hurting now.

Personally, I'm a pragmatic type and while time travel probably IS possible, I doubt we'd see it in this lifetime with this technology...unless that stock trader gives up the goods. Put him in Ryker's with some huge skinhead named Tiny trading him for a pack of Marlborough's...THEN we'll see if he's got a time machine!! disgust.gif

post-13-1068078217.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Developments at CERN have cracked the math of time travel now they just have to figure out how to put it into a practial aplication and the engenering alone will bogil your mind. Here is a link to the math of it.

time travel math

These maths apply in a Schwarzschild black hole (from Schwarzschild solution to the general relativity equation). The only thing here is that Schwarzschild is the solution of Einstein general relativity equation in an empty space which is why I've always been questioning black holes in the first place since they should not be empty by definition (collapse of a neutron star).