Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush says, 'I firmly planted the flag of liberty"

Fluffybunny

If Bush can't get the deficit under control we may have to pawn the flag of liberty so that we can pay rent this month... rolleyes.gif

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Saying he has "firmly planted the flag of liberty," President Bush on Wednesday expounded upon themes put forth in last week's inaugural address, promising to pursue democracy in Iraq and elsewhere around the world.

"A world without tyranny is an ideal world," the president said in opening remarks at a White House press conference. (Transcript)

Later, in response to a question about how Iraqis view dissent with Bush's policies in the United States, the president said: "I think the Iraqi people are wondering whether or not this nation has the will necessary to stand with them as a democracy evolves."

But he vowed to make history and pursue the goal of democracy worldwide.

"The fundamental question is: Can we advance that history?" the president asked rhetorically. "And that's what my inauguration speech said. It said yes we can.

"I firmly planted the flag of liberty for all to see that the United States of America hears their concerns and believes in their aspirations. And I am excited by the challenge and am honored to be able to lead our nation in the quest of this noble goal, which is freeing people in the name of peace."

Bush cited Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Ukraine and Iraq as places where elections are showing that people are hungering for democracy.

The president urged Iraqis to go to the polls despite insurgent threats of violence against anyone who participates in Sunday's voting.

"These terrorists do not have the best interests of the Iraqi people in mind," Bush said. "They have no positive agenda. They have no clear view of a better future. They're afraid of a free society."

Bush spoke only hours after word broke of the deadliest day for American forces in the Iraq war to date, including a helicopter crash that killed 31 U.S. personnel.

"The story today is going to be very discouraging to the American people. I understand that," he said. "We value life, and we weep and mourn when soldiers lose their life. But it is the long-term objective that is vital, and that is to spread freedom." ( Full story)

The 48-minute news conference came six days after Bush outlined a broad agenda to spread democracy worldwide in his inaugural address and a week before he gives his State of the Union address, in which advancing democracy is expected to play an important part.

On domestic issues, Bush vowed to take his case to overhaul Social Security directly to Americans to try to overcome skepticism in Congress on his plan to privatize part of the program.

"I just laid out the math; it is clear that now is the time to act," he said. President Clinton used a similar approach to get his programs through Congress, Bush said.

The president said he'll push for changes in the nation's immigration policy, saying labor from abroad is needed to do jobs Americans won't.

"Advancing a program that enables people to come into our country in a legal way to work for a period of time for jobs that Americans won't do will help make it easier for us to secure our borders," Bush said.

Bush pledged to work on tackling the nation's "twin deficits" -- the federal budget and foreign trade -- and said he'll work with the Congress on both.

"Obviously, we're going to have to work closely together to send the signal that we're willing to tackle some tough issues," the president said. "The budget I'll be submitting is one that says we'll spend money on projects that work, but we must make sure we're not wasting the taxpayers' money."

Bush also said no government money would go to media personalities to promote administration policies. Officials in the Education Department had paid conservative commentator Armstrong Williams to promote the president's No Child Left Behind program. (Full story)

Link

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Freespyryt24

• joc

• warden

"I firmly planted the flag of liberty for all to see that the United States of America hears their concerns and believes in their aspirations. And I am excited by the challenge and am honored to be able to lead our nation in the quest of this noble goal, which is freeing people in the name of peace."

You know how people stick their flag into the ground, and claim it in the name of "whatever"

Now Bush has "planted" the american flag? it sounds similar to me.

I love this man. What a great American! So many people are so short sighted but this man truly has 'vision' and the rest of you can go soak your heads! tongue.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I love this man.  What a great American!  So many people are so short sighted but this man truly has 'vision' and the rest of you can go soak your heads! tongue.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif

465355[/snapback]

I second that! ......all of that! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

BUSH BUSH BUSH!

Hey, the whole country loves this man and there are people all over the world that love this man....

...Go Bushy go! tongue.gifgrin2.gif

Yes... He planted the flag of liberty... it wasnt at all the soldiers he sent to Iraq and who actually put the flag up... it was Bush. rolleyes.gif

He could have chosen his words better, but I don't think he was engaging in self-aggrandizement.

The real story here is the fact that elections are about to begin in Iraq. The first election is often the most perilous in developing democracies, as factions with newfound political power may attempt to settle old scores, or view an electoral victory as a license to abuse their enemies.

I love this man.  What a great American!  So many people are so short sighted but this man truly has 'vision' and the rest of you can go soak your heads!

Isn’t it funny how the "Long sighted people" are mostly in America, and the "Short sited people" are in every other country around the world. I would have thought you needed to be long sited to see from a distance so that you can see the whole picture?. Maybe so many Americans only see what Bush wants them to see, because they are not looking at it with broad enough eyes, like the rest of the world is doing?. Is it just coincidence that many in America cant seen the bigger picture of what Bush is doing? And that those observing from a distance can see what’s going on (hence why the worlds turning against Bush at frightening speed). I would tell the Americans that think Bush is doing it for the good of the world to turn on the news, but what’s the point? Its the American media that’s manipulated the American people with fear, half truths and false facts in the first place to shine Bush in a false light.

All we can do now folks is hope America wakes up and smells the bull *hit that’s flowing from Bush's cake hole.

All the best

Faeden

Its the American media that’s manipulated the American people with fear, half truths and false facts in the first place to shine Bush in a false light.

My god you really don't have a clue do you! tongue.gif The American media is nothing more than a tool of the left and they hate and despise Bush.

You forget, we elected Bush, again! Have any of you thought that the American people are behind their president? Think about that one.

Edited by Babs

You forget, we elected Bush, again! Have any of you thought that the American people are behind their president? Think about that one.

465623[/snapback]

yes, i have and according to polls more than half didn't vote for him. and speak for yourself. don't say WE. UNTIL YOU CAN SAY LET'S GET BACK TOGETHER BECAUSE UNITED WE STAND AND DIVIDED WE FALL. THEN YOU CAN SAY WE. but you are siding with bush which makes you seem like you already have a position regardless of the unity thing.

465623[/snapback]

yes, i have and according to polls more than half didn't vote for him. and speak for yourself. don't say WE. UNTIL YOU CAN SAY LET'S GET BACK TOGETHER BECAUSE UNITED WE STAND AND DIVIDED WE FALL. THEN YOU CAN SAY WE. but you are siding with bush which makes you seem like you already have a position regardless of the unity thing.

465628[/snapback]

UNITY? huh.gifblink.gif What unity?...The US is united in it's quest to kill the terrorists.

When our country is in need we unite, everything else is politics.

one could always just go watch CBS and see that its biased:)

or maybe CNN etc

Fox is equally as biased, just on the otherside i guess:)

one could always just go watch CBS and see that its biased:)

or maybe CNN etc

Fox is equally as biased, just on the otherside i guess:)

465639[/snapback]

you are right. news stations can sometimes want to be the national inquierer.

465623[/snapback]

465628[/snapback]

The exit polls are a not a reliable as far as determining how an election will turn out. The election showed an electoral majority as well as voter majority with the voter margin less than 4% and an electoral college a 6 vote difference. Both showed Bush the winner or non-loser of the election.

Its the American media that’s manipulated the American people with fear, half truths and false facts in the first place to shine Bush in a false light.

My god you really don't have a clue do you! tongue.gif The American media is nothing more than a tool of the left and they hate and despise Bush.

465534[/snapback]

*coughs*FOX*coughs*CNN*coughs*

oh please CNN are hardly the purveyors or Right biased propoganda

its weird, but it seems the lefties claim the media is Right biased, while the right claims they are left biased

I love this man.  What a great American!  So many people are so short sighted but this man truly has 'vision' and the rest of you can go soak your heads!

Isn’t it funny how the "Long sighted people" are mostly in America, and the "Short sited people" are in every other country around the world. I would have thought you needed to be long sited to see from a distance so that you can see the whole picture?. Maybe so many Americans only see what Bush wants them to see, because they are not looking at it with broad enough eyes, like the rest of the world is doing?. Is it just coincidence that many in America cant seen the bigger picture of what Bush is doing? And that those observing from a distance can see what’s going on (hence why the worlds turning against Bush at frightening speed). I would tell the Americans that think Bush is doing it for the good of the world to turn on the news, but what’s the point? Its the American media that’s manipulated the American people with fear, half truths and false facts in the first place to shine Bush in a false light.

All we can do now folks is hope America wakes up and smells the bull *hit that’s flowing from Bush's cake hole.

All the best

Faeden

465526[/snapback]

That is probably one of if not the most insightful and truthful post I have yet seen on this issue, and I really mean that. Damn right on, 100%. thumbsup.gif

Besides which, I seem to remember Bush winning the election by the skin of his teeth huh.gif I think you'll find "all of america" does not love him, and is not behind him tongue.gif

In fact, he's a few thousand miles behind all of america instead, as it wages his war for him tongue.gif

Edited by Seraphina

465623[/snapback]

I didnt. well my mom didn't, since I couldnt vote yet mad.gif but then again I would have voted for nader, so thats like a vote to Bush disgust.gif

ahhh...here in Argentina we taste a little of the good old "American freedom" when they support the militars to overtrhow a gov. that was weak to confront the "evil red b*******"®. Now they want to export it to the rest of the world!

465623[/snapback]

465628[/snapback]

UNITY? huh.gifblink.gif What unity?...The US is united in it's quest to kill the terrorists.

When our country is in need we unite, everything else is politics.

465632[/snapback]

Yes, the US is united in its quest to kill the terrorists... but divided in trying to agree who the terrorists are.

Yes, the US is united in its quest to kill the terrorists... but divided in trying to agree who the terrorists are.

I think we all agree who the terrorists are. blink.gif