Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

mortality or immortality?

Calle

Mortality or immortality  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the above would you choose

• Immortality
    • Mortality

Hello i've gone around few forums and asked the same question.

if you'd choose immortality ov mortality (mortality means you can die and immortality means you can't)

here are the parameters of this immortality i am mentioning

You heal instantly but can never die and never forget a single memory.

you don't age and even if the universe collapses you can't die. no matter what.

and to make it fun every 1 million year you can choose to live for another 1 million or die :P

personally i would take immortality because i want to see where humans end up :P

Edited by Zerocoder

I would choose immortality, but if the universe collapses where would that leave my immortal body?

Well not trying to sound like a jerk ,but adding the option to die every one million years if you so chose to defeated the whole idea behind your topic :P

• Like 1

I chose Mortality..

Life just wouldn't be as edgy and racy without that risk of loosing it all..

Immortality..

Boring...

• Like 1

From the old Babylon - 5 program : [ ...To live on as we have is to leave behind joy and love and companionship because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash.

Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal."

" You should embrace this wonderful illusion . "

– Lorien ]

• Like 1

There can be no choice, there is either mortality or immortality and as no one has been able to prove either, they only exist within the mind. It's no different to saying you will do it tomorrow, when there is only ever now and the past.

Considering the life span of humans, being so very very very short compared to univeral and solar time lines, an eternity of living would be ridiculous trapped on this miniscule planet many light years from any other phsyical existence, out side our solar system.

One voyager probe has just left our solar system after many decades of travel, you'd need a strong mental constitution to have immortality and travel those distances. Being immortal on earth would become boring within two centuries. If there were the possibility of dimensional travel, then we could be classed as immortal to the same degree Dr Who is, by passing our dimensional time lines.

• Like 3

This is a question I've pondered a lot... But.. personally, I'd choose mortality. Even though I really want to see where humans end up and how the earth pans out.. I just.. Can't. If I believe correctly, I'll be coming back to earth many times anyways in different lives to learn different things..

I would just never want to live forever.

It sounds good and all.. But, eventually development in the spiritual area would stop, and I would just be here. Not doing anything.

Plus, I'm kind of curious about what happens after. Plenty of people go there, but none come back to tell about it. It just makes me wonder.

It would be cool to live forever, but, I just don't want to.

• Like 1

I'd choose mortality. Why would I want to spend "eternity" in the same body, living the same life..I am 43 and I was already bored of life when I was in my twenties. I just cannot fathom enduring a million years of the same old stuff; wars, political strife, endless tax hikes....

All life dies eventually and humans are no different than any other being. No matter how "speshul" and important we think we are, we die.

When the game of chess is over, all the pieces go back into the same box.

• Like 1

I'd choose mortality but a longer version than we have right now, and a shorter period of ageing at the end.

• Like 2

Depends on the conditions of being immortal. Being an immortal vegetable, for example, would suck.

Besides, imagine carrying all of the growing emotional weight of being an immortal. Everything comes and goes but you.

I don't think I have a reason to choose immortality. Forever is a long time after all.

I'd choose mortality. To live forever seems truly exhausting. To lose everyone I love while I live on sounds like a nightmare.

What would be the point if we lived forever anyways? I can only see loneliness.

Mortality. It would be too darn depressing being immortal. And really, if the gov found out you were immortal, they would probably lock you up and treat you like an experiment for generations- that would be extra depressing.

• Like 2

Mortality. It would be too darn depressing being immortal. And really, if the gov found out you were immortal, they would probably lock you up and treat you like an experiment for generations- that would be extra depressing.

Your post made me think of Dr Manhattan from Watchmen

• Like 1

Hello i've gone around few forums and asked the same question.

if you'd choose immortality ov mortality (mortality means you can die and immortality means you can't)

here are the parameters of this immortality i am mentioning

You heal instantly but can never die and never forget a single memory.

you don't age and even if the universe collapses you can't die. no matter what.

and to make it fun every 1 million year you can choose to live for another 1 million or die :P

personally i would take immortality because i want to see where humans end up :P

If be immortal if I could choose to forget I was imortal for a while, or like you said periodically have a choice to die.

Well I don't believe in an afterlife, and life is pain period, but life can also be very satisfying. It all depends on how you choose to look at it. Now I chose immortality, not to mention if immortality meant the ability for me to travel to other planets, its not even a question in my mind, the choice is immortality. I would assume that immortal beings also have there own struggles, in your first post you mentioned that you would have to keep all your memories. imagine all that I could learn!

• 1 month later...

Well I don't believe in an afterlife, and life is pain period, but life can also be very satisfying. It all depends on how you choose to look at it. Now I chose immortality, not to mention if immortality meant the ability for me to travel to other planets, its not even a question in my mind, the choice is immortality. I would assume that immortal beings also have there own struggles, in your first post you mentioned that you would have to keep all your memories. imagine all that I could learn!

my point exacly :P

and life without pain is useless people going around thinking they can have all the happieness they want but personally i think having to much happyieness is depressing.

The human world has Billions of aspects to it and everyone has diffrent view yet very similar, being immortal would allow someone hungry for knowledge to explore it all.

• Like 1

my plan for living forever seems to be working pretty well so far....

• Like 1

my plan for living forever seems to be working pretty well so far....

taking peoples kidneys and eating them raw?

taking peoples kidneys and eating them raw?

nope.

with fava beans and a nice chiante....

• Like 1

Well wouldnt it be a buzz if we all realized we actually are immortal and created this reality to relieve the boredom because now we learn, love and live...

• Like 1

nope.

with fava beans and a nice chiante....

X-files are fake -.- damn those noobs.

Well wouldnt it be a buzz if we all realized we actually are immortal and created this reality to relieve the boredom because now we learn, love and live...

With religion in place we are immortal since when we die we go to heaven or hell, there is no truly dead, having an immortal body would just mean you would remain in the physical world instead of going to the spiritual one, besides after i live 1 million year if i am satisfied i would rather die and have nothingness then continue living somewhere else.

That is if you're religious p.

Edited by Calle

If faced with the choice I would most likely choose immortality, call me selfish but I would love to see the progression of humanity, explore the vastness of our universe in hopes of finding some other form of life.

I know however that this choice would most definately be costly, having to watch your loved ones fade away into nothingness over and over again for all time would be devastating and would most likely have you

wishing that you were able to die. Though the idea of being able to measure the technological advances of humanity over vast periods of time would be so incredible, to know whether or not humanity would even

last knowing our violent tendancies and hunger for power would also be a sight to see. Such a difficult question to propose as it really makes you look deep inside yourself and makes you wonder about existence

in general, what the purpose of this crazy universe is. Man I've been watching way too much Dr. Who lately.

Perhaps the real reason why religion says suicide is a sin is because from your perspective its impossible to kill yourself. The priesthood don't want you figuring out that you're immortal!

Immortality and have power... like Superman and not some kind of vegetable ancient tree Yggdrasil.

I don't want to be imprisoned under 100m of dust after an earth quake, for example.

I would choose immortality- there's so much to see & do... Do I still need oxygen to breathe? What about food, would I still need to eat to survive? It would be a very neat experience to walk the ocean's bottom- which would be possible if immortality came without the need for food or oxygen.

• Like 1