Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Rise of the Superbugs

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

This really does scare the living daylights out of me.
Bacteria have millions of years head start on us, let's face it.

People's obsession with anti-bacterial everything doesn't help, neither does people insisting they need antibiotics from the doc to get better from a cold, and people who are given them who don't take them all or on time are another problem.

It also doesn't help that antibiotics are available OTC in some countries (please don't ask me which ones).

Posted Image

#17    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 26 January 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

If you do some research, you will find documented cases. Luckily few so far, but expect that number to rise dramatically from now on.
The pharma industry can not develop new antibiotics as fast as the bugs adapt to them.

The moment its very few documented cases ,I question the validity of any of it .
Theyve been saying this for twenty years .
It's just like true cases of bird flu ,non existant .

Miss me?

#18    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

The bacteria are looking at us and saying: "They've had their fun but it's time we take back office."

I've never been one to take tablets for things like a cold, the most I've ever taken was a Valium. I have taken few paracetamols and calpol's when I was a kid and that was for when I had a cough or one of them flu headaches, I can actually say I haven't had a pill in years...although I wouldn't mind a few Val Doodigans (Valium), knocked me the **** out and was awesome.

Edited by Sean93, 27 January 2013 - 01:36 AM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#19    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

We actually need a superbug.

The Earth's population is sky rocketing and we won't be able to cope much longer.

Nature already does a pretty good job at keeping the human population down. In 3rd world countries where birth rates are out of control you see poverty, famine, STDs, etc.

#20    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

We actually need a superbug.

The Earth's population is sky rocketing and we won't be able to cope much longer.

That is a pretty cynical statement, but yes philosophically you could make a case that nature is curing itself here.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#21    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

View PostSean93, on 27 January 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

I've never been one to take tablets for things like a cold, the most I've ever taken was a Valium. I have taken few paracetamols and calpol's when I was a kid and that was for when I had a cough or one of them flu headaches, I can actually say I haven't had a pill in years...although I wouldn't mind a few Val Doodigans (Valium), knocked me the **** out and was awesome.

Yes, but everybody around takes them and helps breed the superbugs. Plus, have you ever considered the amount of antibiotics that you take while eating meat from farmed animals?
Fact is, animal producers routinely feed pigs, cattle, and chickens small doses of antibiotics to prevent costly outbreaks of infections (which would quickly infect an animal population in the small space the animals are kept).

It makes short term sense for the meat producer, but it is complete insanity in the long run. Yet, it is happening everywhere. So unless you are a vegetarian, you are already part of the superbug breeding club.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#22    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 27 January 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Yes, but everybody around takes them and helps breed the superbugs. Plus, have you ever considered the amount of antibiotics that you take while eating meat from farmed animals?
Fact is, animal producers routinely feed pigs, cattle, and chickens small doses of antibiotics to prevent costly outbreaks of infections (which would quickly infect an animal population in the small space the animals are kept).

It makes short term sense for the meat producer, but it is complete insanity in the long run. Yet, it is happening everywhere. So unless you are a vegetarian, you are already part of the superbug breeding club.
It is insanity. Yet the other end of the (still meat eating) spectrum seems bad too - I've heard the stories of organic farmers desperate not to lose organic status on their livestock and so don't treat them when they are sick. I couldn't vouch for this info though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

It all makes me think subsistence agriculture is the way forward.

Posted Image

#23    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

you know, i was always told, as a child, and when i had kids, that the best way to help your child to be able to be healthier or stronger and more able to fight health issues as an adult is NOT to over do medicines as a child.

For instance, when i was little, i was allowed to have a fever without medication. It was taught that your fever is your bodies way of fighting infections/illnesses and your body fighting off things built up more white blood cells.  Now, if the fever got over 103 and unable to be brought down, then yes, go to a doctor, but I remember many of a time of having a fever, and just being given lots of drinks.. and cool baths/rub downs.

Now nearing 50, i get seriously ill, i need very very little of anything to 'effect me'.  It seems the smallest doses of almost any med will knock out whatever the issue is. Even in the hospital i got child doses of a lot of things.

My kids, I did the same, they rarely got medicine, even over the counter meds. They got lots of drinks, lots of bathing.. and sleep.

the only time i can remember with my daughter and son, that they got meds was when they got strep from the school. and when my daughter came down with a form of scarlet fever,

As a result, in their late 20's they rarely get ill, and when they do, even without any over the counter stuff, they get better quicker then most.

So i have to wonder, these superbugs.. how many pple have issues with fighting them off, because they were dosed with a lot of meds as kids and their bodies never got the chance to grow into itself to be a fighting machine against many things?

Posted Image

#24    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

View Postwillowdreams, on 27 January 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

So i have to wonder, these superbugs.. how many pple have issues with fighting them off, because they were dosed with a lot of meds as kids and their bodies never got the chance to grow into itself to be a fighting machine against many things?

The way I understand the situation is like this: Because you have a solid immune system, the super bugs would have a harder time to get at you in the first place. But if they do and you want to knock them out with antibiotics, you are just as screwed as everybody else, because the superbugs are resistant to all the antibiotics available.

#25    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 27 January 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

The way I understand the situation is like this: Because you have a solid immune system, the super bugs would have a harder time to get at you in the first place. But if they do and you want to knock them out with antibiotics, you are just as screwed as everybody else, because the superbugs are resistant to all the antibiotics available.

well, if they have a harder time of getting me, some may NOT, and i will be a bit better off, however.. i have to wonder something else.

Not for me of course, perhaps for my children (i will not be having more kids, so i cannot be included in this).. what of pregnancy?

If say my daughter is pregnant, and she is attacked by the superbugs.. admittedly she has a decent chance perhaps of fighting it off, but she could actually (dont think it htough,) die.. but what if she is pregnant and gives birth..

i wonder, genetically, how strong will the immunity of these children be.

Posted Image

#26    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

I think it's highly probable that humanity would combat a super bug. For one we have an extremely high population, and that high population is vastly spread out, with self sustaining humans living on every continent. Our medical skills are developing at exponential rates, and we've been known to resort to dire means to fend illnesses. It should also be noted that regions ravaged by the bubonic plague were not totally wiped of human life. Some people were immune to it, meaning it's likely that some humans would be immune to other powerful strains.

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,387 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

I suppose one day we will each live in our own cubicle isolated from everyone else and communicating entirely by internet lest we catch a germ.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,387 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Sheesh there are so many ways we could either be done in or do ourselves in it's a wonder we persist.

#29    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

hrmm... asimovs caves of steel come to mind..

Posted Image

#30    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostIamLegend, on 27 January 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

I think it's highly probable that humanity would combat a super bug. For one we have an extremely high population, and that high population is vastly spread out, with self sustaining humans living on every continent. Our medical skills are developing at exponential rates, and we've been known to resort to dire means to fend illnesses. It should also be noted that regions ravaged by the bubonic plague were not totally wiped of human life. Some people were immune to it, meaning it's likely that some humans would be immune to other powerful strains.

I agree that a superbug is unlikely to wipe out all humanity. But your comparison with bubonic plague is interesting. That wiped out the majority of the population in the affected areas. And that is the scenario we are going back to. If you find that reassuring.... ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users