Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama claims Democratic nomination

__Kratos__

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night, NBC News projected based on its tally of convention delegates. By doing so, he shattered a barrier more than two centuries old to become the first black candidate ever nominated by a major political party for the nation’s highest office.

“Tonight, I can stand before you and say that I will be the Democratic nominee for president of the United States,” Obama planned to say in a victory celebration in St. Paul, Minn., at the site of the convention that will nominate his Republican opponent in the fall, Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

Obama’s victory came on the final day of the Democratic campaign schedule, as voters in South Dakota and Montana voted in the final primaries. But it was the decisions of the last unpledged party officials, known as superdelegates, who put Obama over the top.

Throughout the day, as Obama edged closer to the number of 2,118 delegates needed to win the nomination, more and more superdelegates relentlessly ticked over into his column, leading him to claim victory early in the evening.

Other notable black candidates have run for president, but it was Obama who broke through to be embraced by one of the two major parties, 45 years after Martin Luther King Jr. declared his dream for a colorblind America.

In a speech Tuesday night in New Orleans, McCain welcomed Obama to the general election campaign as a “formidable” opponent. But he proclaimed that he was “ready for the challenge and determined to run this race in a way that does credit to our campaign and to the proud, decent and patriotic people I ask to lead.”

More of the article here: Link

---------------------------------------------------------

Well at least that part is over...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Rosewin

• Homer

• Princess Serenity

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this earlier today.

I wonder what Hilary will do now. Does she still have a chance or no?

I heard about this earlier today.

I wonder what Hilary will do now. Does she still have a chance or no?

She said earlier that she would be willing to accept the VP spot. Source

Does not Hillary have more popular votes? Too bad such does not count for presidential elections and I guess primary elections as well.

Edited by Clovis

Although I don't support him, and will not support him in the general election, this is an historic event.

Congratulations Obama, on winning the democratic nomination :tu:

Well, I couldn't be more delighted. I hope Hillary ends up being his VP. I realize the two of them probably dislike each other intensely at this point but... hey, everyone else in the world has to learn to suck it up and work with people they don't relate to so why shouldn't they?

*** smile*** That's good. I'm glad other people want a change as badly as I do. My cynicism about my government was reaching a dangerous low point.

Does not Hillary have more popular votes? Too bad such does not count for presidential elections and I guess primary elections as well.

Only if you discount about half the states that voted. The answer is no she does not. And elections are about DELEGATES. We do not live in a true democracy but a represenative democracy. The race was for delegates. Had it been for popular vote, he would have sunk huge resources into populous states.

Edited by ninjadude

In a speech Tuesday night in New Orleans, McCain welcomed Obama to the general election campaign as a “formidable” opponent. But he proclaimed that he was “ready for the challenge and determined to run this race in a way that does credit to our campaign and to the proud, decent and patriotic people I ask to lead.”

McCain also claimed that we have an election in January. The guy is not all there.

McCain also claimed that we have an election in January. The guy is not all there.

Like Obama's uncle liberating Auschwitz? Or there were 10,000 dead after a Kansas tornado?

Could be that they make mistakes here and there quite a bit. :mellow:

McCain would probably be the one candidate who would have more motive to bring our troops home, since his three sons are over there. Anyways, I would've preferred Clinton over Obama, but alas it didn't play out that way.

From the Democratic Presidential Nominee himself:

From Dreams of My Father:

"I ceased to advertise my

mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to

suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to

whites."

From Dreams of My Father :

"I found a solace in

nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity

against my mothers race."

"There was something about

him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself,

maybe. And white."

"It remained necessary to

prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to

the black masses, to strike out and name names."

"I never emulate white men

and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It

was into my father's image, the black man, son of

Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought

in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm,

DuBois and Mandela."

From Audacity of Hope:

"I will stand with the Muslims

should the political winds

shift in an ugly

direction."

Publication history for "From Dreams of My Father"

· · New York:

Times Books; 1st edition

(July 18, 1995);

Hardcover: 403 pages;

ISBN 0-8129-23 43-X

This printing is now very rare. Only a few signed copies are known, and are estimated to be worth up to $5,000 (depending on condition).

· · New York:

Kodansha International

(August 1996);

Paperback: 403 pages;

ISBN 1-5683-6162-9

· · New York:

Three Rivers Press;

Reprint edition (August 10, 2004);

Paperback: 480 pages;

ISBN 1-4000-8277-3

· · New York:

Random House

Audio; Abridged edition

(May 3, 2005);

Audio CD;

ISBN 0-7393-21 00-5;

Includes the senator's speech from the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

· · New York:

Random House Large Print;

1st Large print edition

(April 4, 2006);

Hardcover: 720 pages;

ISBN 0-7393-2576-0

· · New York

Crown Publishers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_9 "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_9" January 9, 2007);

Hardcover: 464 pages;

ISBN 0-3073-8341-5

· · New York:

Random House (January 9, 2007); Format: eBook ; ISBN 0-3073-9412-3

Definitely voting republican this year.

Was I supposed to find that offensive or something? Considering the context of it all it makes perfect sense.

Yep. 1st time in my life i'll vote for a republican.

Please, dont be that evil, the libertarian party would love your vote.

You should actually check the nonsense that floats your way, Mandalore. That list you provided above is full of crap, including a number of quotes that are outright fabricated (click on "fabricated" for the link).

For all those idiots out there about to vote Republican for the first time in their lives, I have one question - do you have any interest at all in seeing Democratic legislation succeed (like efforts at Health Care and the like)? Then you really ought to put aside whatever pique or paranoia you have about Obama (including that worthless "muslim" nonsense that keeps popping up), and support him. I'm sick of all these worthless, uneducated "personality" voters - they tend to be the same type of people who put George W. Bush into office in 2000 because he looked like a good guy who cared about education (never mind his actual record as governor).

Edited by Guardsman Bass

In any case, Clinton has refused to concede the nomination right now. I imagine the next few days will be a flurry of meetings and discussions for her and her aides, including whether or not to press for the VP slot.

Hillary is probably going to suspend her campaign but not totally end it. Just in case a something newsworthy comes out against Obama. Like the rumored tape of Michelle Obama using the term " Whitey " during a speech she gave sometime back.

Was I supposed to find that offensive or something? Considering the context of it all it makes perfect sense.

It made sense to me as well, given the context. Obviously an intelligent kid who was half white and half black would think about race, worry about where he fit in, and go through all sorts of phases. To me the white voters who fixate on this stuff are the ones with an "unusual" attitude.

Well, Hillary and Mr. Bill got their little quirps in too...supposingly Obama wants to set up a meeting with her, possibly about the VP position. To tell you the truth, it was a long campaign and I'm glad that part of it is over....

Race as an issue is so far down on the list it is not even on the radar.

The top issue is the high cost of oil and the crashing economy because of this.

People have to be able to afford to eat, afford to survive.

An elitist plan of conservation by selling expensive cars that get more miles per gallon and someday maybe alternative energy five or ten years from now is not likely to win.

The people are in trouble now, they need cheaper oil now, and the next president will be the one who promises to give that to them as quickly as possible to save them and their families who have already been waiting for help far too long.

Race as an issue is so far down on the list it is not even on the radar.

The top issue is the high cost of oil and the crashing economy because of this.

People have to be able to afford to eat, afford to survive.

An elitist plan of conservation by selling expensive cars that get more miles per gallon and someday maybe alternative energy five or ten years from now is not likely to win.

The people are in trouble now, they need cheaper oil now, and the next president will be the one who promises to give that to them as quickly as possible to save them and their families who have already been waiting for help far too long.

Are things really that bad in the U.S.? We in Europe pay way more for oil than you guys, yet I haven't seen the same kind of panic here.

Are things really that bad in the U.S.? We in Europe pay way more for oil than you guys, yet I haven't seen the same kind of panic here.

Things seem much worse here in the U.S. because Americans are fat, lazy, arrogant and feel entitled to a higher standard...

...oh wait...never mind...thats just me I'm talking about :lol:

She said earlier that she would be willing to accept the VP spot. Source

Okay. Thanks.

I just turned on the t.v. while laying down. And they didn't say anything about that.

I heard Obama's victory over the primary elections speech last night on NPR. He has swayed me back to my leftist roots. It is most likely if I vote it will be for Obama after comparing his speech to parts of McCain's. Thankfully I will not be voting for a Republican president for the first time in my life. Had Ron Paul got his party's nomination I definitely would have. I therefore revise my views and now support Obama.