Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] 500 cats intercepted en route to restaurants

None of the above

500 cats intercepted en route to restaurants in China.

A truck filled with 500 cats, thought to be on their way to a number of restaurants, has been intercepted in Xuzhou, eastern China's Jiangsu Province.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2012/11/01/truck-overloaded-five-hundred-cats-intercepted-en-route-to-restaurants-china/?ncid=webmail10

• Like 1

And the guy still makes a profit.... :no:

Seven hours later the owner of the load arrived but refused to reveal where the cats had come from. After bargaining for three hours, the owner agreed to sell the cats to the animal rescue volunteers for 3500 Yuan (£350).

This actually reminds me of a brief story i heard in the 90's (maybe an urban legend) about a British family (mother, father and little daughter) in Hong Kong for the fathers work.

The girl was getting lonely and the father decided to buy her a pet cat. After a few hours of looking for a pet store, they found a shop with kittens and puppies in a back alley. The father asked the girl which one she wanted and the girl picked one out. The shop teller picked up the kitten and took its head off with a meat cleaver and handed it to the little girl.

Obviously it wasn't a pet shop...

what a catastrophic turn of events for that restaurant - robbing them of business like that.

• Like 4

Personally I see no difference between 300 cats and the 300 rabbits that the truck driver claimed were onboard.

I also find it strange that in a country where millions of cats are skinned alive in fur farms every year, that anyone would be bothered about a truck load on their way to resturants.

• Like 1

This actually reminds me of a brief story i heard in the 90's (maybe an urban legend) about a British family (mother, father and little daughter) in Hong Kong for the fathers work.

The girl was getting lonely and the father decided to buy her a pet cat. After a few hours of looking for a pet store, they found a shop with kittens and puppies in a back alley. The father asked the girl which one she wanted and the girl picked one out. The shop teller picked up the kitten and took its head off with a meat cleaver and handed it to the little girl.

they don't actually kill them that way. I saw a documentary many years back i think on HBO and it was about animal cruelty. In one segment they showed a resurant in china that served dogs and cats and they showed them preparing one for a customer. What they did was noose the cat around the neck with a wire on a pole. They then took it into the kitchen and thumped it on the head several times with a wooden mallet. The "cook" then made an incision on both sides of the cats neck. the cat is still in the noose at this point. He then puts it into a deep fat frier for about 5 seconds or so and pulls it out. Apprently this is to help get the skin off because he then took a tool and just peeled the skin of the cat off from the neck down all in one peice. He then un-noosed the cat into a large pool of water in the middle of the kitchen. At that point they stopped showing the process but the cat was still moving in the water. I don't know if it was still alive or if that was reflexes but it was very disturbing to watch and I have never forgotten it.

Edited by Grey14

Personally I see no difference between 300 cats and the 300 rabbits that the truck driver claimed were onboard.

I also find it strange that in a country where millions of cats are skinned alive in fur farms every year, that anyone would be bothered about a truck load on their way to resturants.

Actually a man I know from Peru told me that growing up his nieghbor was a chef who specialized in unusual dishes and he served him cat one time. I asked him what it tasted like and he said rabbit.

This is probably quite true . In parts of Asia ,mostly China and Vietnam ,dogs and cats are in displays of a kind ,where you pick one out and its killed or killed and cooked for you,right there.

It's exactly the same as the lobster tank at the fancy fish restaurant ,Where you pick out your lobster before dinner .

There are now dog and cat rescue groups ,in Korea and China,for just such instances . PETA now has an Asia branch . I actually considered applying for the Japan coordinator job ,as I would be qualified for it ,but for some bizarre reason ,their Japan reps,are stationed in I think Singapore .

I actually have a close friend in s'pore,but I have no desire to live there .

I don't care how "socially acceptable" it is in other countries to eat cats and dogs, here in the U.S it is not and I am glad.

I am also glad things are changing in that people in other countries are at least trying to change things.

• Like 2

Excuse me while I hug my big yellow tom. :cry: I wish I hadn't looked at this thread.

• Like 2

i have three cats, and eating them is not cool.. ive seen dogs in restaurant windows in asia,(with half their bodies sliced off) they love eating our pets.. gives me the creeps.. and in thailand they love eating rats.. grose..

I have two observations here;

1) You don't get to become the most populous nation on the planet by being finicky.

2) The decision to eat an animal or keep it as a pet is completely arbitrary. What exactly is the criteria? It reminds me of a scene in Roger Moore's documentary Roger and Me, where he comes across a sign in an impoverished area (I suspect Detroit and Flint Michigan are even worse off now) that read "Rabbits for sale. Pets or Meat".

I know what my criteria is when it comes to deciding whether to eat something or not. The question is not "is it cute?" "is it intelligent" "is it soft and furry?" My only question is "does it feel pain?"

Pets+or+Meat.jpg

I thought from the title that it was a Cat Party Night that was halted. (lol)

Sweet and sour cat? *throws up*

:gun:

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Hunger has a way of blurring the distinction between pets and dinner.

People would eat their dog if their survival depends on it, from what I've heard.

Who ordered the sweet and sour pussies? Moment truck crammed with FIVE HUNDRED cats was stopped en route to restaurants in China

Police officers in China have recently saved as many as 500 cats from being killed and served as “savory” dishes at various restaurants across the country.

Apparently, these neglected felines were rescued quite by chance, meaning that the police officers who found them only intended to perform a routine check on the truck that was transporting them.

The driver tried to keep the police from having a closer look at his truck, and argued that he was merely transporting some rabbits.

However, once the cages in the back of the truck were uncovered, the police came face to face with quite a lot of cats all piled up on top of one another.

“The driver said it was a full load of rabbit,” officer Sun Hai explained.

“But after we instructed him to uncover the load we were shocked to find a full load of living cats,” he went on to say.

According to Daily Mail, the felines were both hungry and terrified, seeing how the people who shoved them into the tiny cages in which they were found did not provide them with any food and even injured some of them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226542/Truck-crammed-FIVE-HUNDRED-cats-stopped-en-route-restaurants-China.html

Hey Mr. Oz,

This thread already exists in the 'Other World News: Asia, Africa, etc.' forum.

Contact an adminstrator or moderator to get your thread merged, or purged. :)

Threads merged.

I love cats, they have a wonderful soul...they should not be eaten!

why not? is their life worth more then a chicken's life?

unless you area a vegan, and use absolutely no animal products (soaps, leather shoes, etc are out), you really don't have a right to complain. :whistle:

and i'm sure cat is a fine meal :yes:

unless you area a vegan, and use absolutely no animal products (soaps, leather shoes, etc are out), you really don't have a right to complain. :whistle:

[media=]

[/media]