Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pictures Of The World's Biggest Drain Hole

Bone_Collector

Located in northern California, the Monticello Dam has the largest morning glory spillway in the world. This funnel-shaped outlet, allows water to bypass the dam when it reaches capacity, as it swallows a rate of 48,400 cubic feet per second (1370 m³/s).

linked-image

According to Davis Wiki, "for obvious reasons, swimming near the glory hole is both prohibited and stupid. There are buoys strung across the lake to discourage boaters and swimmers from approaching the glory hole and the dam. Furthermore, the glory hole is well fenced off from the land."

linked-image

The distance from the funnel to the exit point - which is situated in the south side of the canyon - is about 700 feet.

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

This type of spillway is basically a giant cement funnel. The hole's largest diameter is 72 feet and narrows to about 28 feet.

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

"During the drier months, when Lake Berryessa's water level is well below the rim of the glory hole, skateboarders and bikers sometimes use the spillway's horizontal exit as a half-pipe”.

It's even on google maps.

linked-image

Source

Edited by Bone_Collector

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bone_Collector

• jesspy

• ex infernis

• the rebirth

WOW....the picture that I can see....is quite captivating. It's amazing how idiotic people can be though...(refering to the skate boarders). I was watching some video's of the idiotic things that teenagers do....and I don't want my children to become teenagers :D

Those are awesome pix .... dams are quite fascinating, thnx for sharing those BC.

:)

Some of the pics look unreal and yet awesome at the same time. Imagine being in a boat, heading straight for that hole :o Biking or skateboarding in that pipe would be cool too.

Edited by Bone_Collector

Interesting post that would really suck to swim near there. Good thing there's no way people could actually go near it otherwise there would be a lot of missing people haha!

Hypnotically fascinating. I imagine if I saw it in person, I would stand there all day, just watching the water spill over the side. Thanks for sharing!

Hypnotically fascinating. I imagine if I saw it in person, I would stand there all day, just watching the water spill over the side. Thanks for sharing!

it wouldnt be there all day. its an overspill hole. it only gets used when it rains too much.

We have one of those where I live and in the summer water does flow into it all day

Edited by pyrokinetic_1

Geez. That is a big drain hole. O_O;;

if you jumped in, what part would kill you? would the pressure rip you in half or collape you or...? besides the drowning part.

Edit: sweet pics :)

Edited by Celumnaz

if you jumped in, what part would kill you? would the pressure rip you in half or collape you or...? besides the drowning part.

It would be great to check out the ride wearing an indestructable suit with oxygen masks and all. That would be wild! :P

It's reasonably safe to bike and skateboard. You can only do it in summer when the water level is not upto the drain's brim.

It's reasonably safe to bike and skateboard. You can only do it in summer when the water level is not upto the drain's brim.

Okay so they are skating in a vertical pipe right? It looks nuts what if they fall

How can anybody skate or bike in a vertical pipe? They only use the lower horizontal part of the drain which pours the water out.

Edited by Bone_Collector

How can anybody skate or bike in a vertical pipe? They only use the lower horizontal part of the drain which pours the water out.

sorry lol

the pictures made me go crazy didnt see that

It would be great to check out the ride wearing an indestructable suit with oxygen masks and all. That would be wild! :P

:tu: had a mental image of myself all wrapped up in a styrofoam robot suit an a lil pony tank.... :P

I mean... been on all the major rollercoasters and free-fall rides... unless it's got a 90deg angle at the bottom kinda think it'd be like one of those tunnel water rides where you lay down and cross your arms...