Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pictured: Giant blue whale washed onto beach

Still Waters

This the tragic sight of the largest mammal in the world - a majestic blue whale - washed ashore after being struck and killed by a passing ship.

The 70-foot female was found on the Northern California coast on Monday night with two gashes on her back - one that was eight feet long.

She was spotted on the shore near Fort Bragg in Mendocino County hours after an ocean survey vessel reported hitting a whale a few miles away, said Joe Cordaro, a wildlife biologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's marine fisheries service.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Princess Serenity

• Still Waters

• MaggieDruydess

• xYlvax

That's a big whale! (To me at least.)

Poor guy. *Hugs*

What a beautiful animal, shame that it was killed. I wonder what the people on the boat thought they hit :D

wow.......what a awesome sight...........terribly sad it was injured and died..........a very awe inspiring picture.........makes us humans seem so insignificant in comparison :ph34r:

wow.......what a awesome sight...........terribly sad it was injured and died..........a very awe inspiring picture.........makes us humans seem so insignificant in comparison :ph34r:

You mean size wise? Then yeah I agree with you.

o.o;

Boat should have sunk with all aboard IMO

I hope you mean that they were lucky it didn't sink. Not that you hope that boat sunk and killed everyone.

Fort Bragg California is my home town. A bunch of people I know have gone and visited that body, which is on the rocky beach off of a botanical gardens.