Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Climate change deniers are ignoring science

barack obama climate change deniers angel stadium global warming

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#91    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,186 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 07 August 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

There are shades to this discussion.  But unfortunately, most folks don't have the background and haven't read the research enough to be able to discuss them.

On that same note, most Proponents of Climate Change aren't any better trained/educated, yet they feel they can demonize people because the articles they read say that they are correct. Or, perhaps they saw Bill Nye on TV and so feel they can be free to just label anyone with a different idea as a Denier.

My point I suppose is that ignorance is on both sides in the common populace, and how is a person to know what is correct, other then by diving in and checking the research themselves? And when some people say the data itself is suspected to have been adjusted, how can the average Joe know that is true, or false?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#92    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,500 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 August 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

On that same note, most Proponents of Climate Change aren't any better trained/educated, yet they feel they can demonize people because the articles they read say that they are correct. Or, perhaps they saw Bill Nye on TV and so feel they can be free to just label anyone with a different idea as a Denier.

My point I suppose is that ignorance is on both sides in the common populace, and how is a person to know what is correct, other then by diving in and checking the research themselves? And when some people say the data itself is suspected to have been adjusted, how can the average Joe know that is true, or false?
The three strongest proponents here have degrees in an applicable field.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 08 August 2014 - 08:27 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#93    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,500 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 August 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

I thought the term AGW was not in common use anymore. Technically it is trueThe term Climate Change is a lot better, as local conditions in some places actual are cooling. Though the trend is Up, not every year is hotter then the last.

Global means the conditions on the globe - which are warming when averaged out over all data points.
Climate change is the specifics of how that plays out in local climates.
The two terms are related but not mutually exclusive, and they should be used in their appropriate context.
When referring to the steady rise in global temperatures we should still use the term AGW. When referring to a specific geographical location we should use the term climate change.

So Skeptic does not equal Denier, given that the Skeptic is fully educated, rational and up to date on the data.

Its almost impossible to remain skeptical of the science when you are fully informed on all of the data. There are a few (very few) real skeptics out there - the rest are in denial. There has never been a single scientific paper which has refuted the basic premise of AGW theory - not one, this is out of thousands of scientific papers written in the field. This is why the denial industry confines itself to the blogsphere where they never have to subject their claims/lies to critical review. that should tell you all you need to know about their honesty.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 08 August 2014 - 08:35 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#94    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,217 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 August 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

Absolutely true.  I now try to educate rather than argue.  That REQUIRES discussion.  I have forgotten that at times, so if I have offended anyone, I apologize.  If you have something to discuss, post it and let's talk.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#95    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,186 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 08 August 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

The three strongest proponents here have degrees in an applicable field.

Br Cornelius
I recognize those people and defer to them. But we have had many ignorant people on both sides post here on UM, and if I was to correct a AGW proponent on some detail, that does not make me a Denier, does it?

Some people will make wild claims, and because those claims are fashionable, no one will call them on it. If I see ignorance and recognize it, I will call people on it.

But, then sometimes I'll do Devil's Advocate (I am here for Entertainment purposes in the main, after all), and attack some AGW point, just to get into a discussion. Brain Food.....

View PostDoug1o29, on 08 August 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

Absolutely true.  I now try to educate rather than argue.  That REQUIRES discussion.  I have forgotten that at times, so if I have offended anyone, I apologize.  If you have something to discuss, post it and let's talk.
Doug
I recognize my ignorance and your own expertise. :nw:   I try to do that with everyone who appears to know what they are talking about. I'd not expect you to fight me about testing equipment of silicon chip products and succeed. I admire that you seek to Teach rather then Scold. I wish everyone could write here in that fashion. :tu:

I don't have any actual point I wanted to discuss... yet. :innocent:

Edited by DieChecker, 08 August 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users