Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should we send humans to Mars?

mars human exploration dr alexander kumar

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,284 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Postpallidin, on 23 September 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

I suppose the issue is two-fold.
First, drop fuel, food, water, re-launch and other supplies on Mars by somewhat current methods. Very expensive of course.
Food yes, but why take water to a planet which has frozen water already there? Why take fuel when you can manufacture it there? There is a vast overestimation in your costs reduced right there.

Then, establish "way-stations", perhaps 2 - 4 between Earth and Mars(with one or 2 as an emergency redundency), which contain necessary supplies for both the transit to and from Earth as well as emergency supplies regarding technology and life support. Again, very, very expensive.
Sorry, as 27vet has pointed out, it doesn't work like that. Way stations are a non-starter.

Must be in the multi-trillions of dollars. But, could be done.
And you arrived at this figure how exactly?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#32    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,030 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

Billions,Trillions ,Gazillions ! WHo`s counting ! We cant even fund NASA correctly ! Lets just get off the cant do attitude`s and Get on to the Can Do ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#33    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

It's the type of thing that would stimulate the economy and create jobs, which is always a good reason to support the space program, plus it will result in new technology being developed--or revealed.

There are also dangers of bringing back unknown microorganisms back to earth that would would not be able to deal with.  These things seem able to survive in any environment, but yet again that's the type of danger we are going to be facing sooner or later in space travel.

#34    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

We either get moving on space exploration regardless of the cost/risk or we stand around on this planet and wait to go extinct.
There really are no two ways about it.
We are doomed on this planet and our only chance to survive as a species is to inhabit another world.
(doomed = Asteroid, Supervolcano, overpopulation, etc...)

#35    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 24 September 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

There are also dangers of bringing back unknown microorganisms back to earth that would would not be able to deal with.  These things seem able to survive in any environment, but yet again that's the type of danger we are going to be facing sooner or later in space travel.

You mean like this?

Posted Image

#36    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,179 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I suspect that we already have sent men to Mars.

#37    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,958 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 24 September 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

I suspect that we already have sent men to Mars.

Uh, no.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#38    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,227 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

I just read A Princess of Mars and The Martian Chronicles. I'm thinking no. LOL

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#39    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,030 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostMOON IS FAKE, on 24 September 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

You mean like this?

Posted Image
At least tis a Start ! It would give us something really to join together and Fight ! Not ourselfs ! Well Its Us or Them right?

#40    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

I would think time and money would be much better spent going to the moon and setting up a permanent base there first and use it to develop, test, and hone the technology needed to establish one on Mars, perhaps even use said Moon base to launch Mars missions rather than Earth.

Edited by Socio, 24 September 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#41    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,030 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostSocio, on 24 September 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

I would think time and money would be much better spent going to the moon and setting up a permanent base there first and use it to develop, test, and hone the technology needed to establish one on Mars, perhaps even use said Moon base to launch Mars missions rather than Earth.
No doubt this will be the plan of attack on the missions ! We will build Moon bases first ! ITs only logical !
As soon as we can finger out how to make He-3 then we will have to build He-3 engines and ships that wont waist fuel from the Moon to Mars !

Edited by DONTEATUS, 25 September 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#42    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Moon base frist then mars...

#43    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Now if we could figure out how to get back to the moon.
I guess we could just wait until China or India get there and build their cities first.

#44    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,184 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think if funding went to building a Lunar Colony of some sort, then the Politicians will reject any concurrent funding to do the same with Mars with the lessons learned.

You would also have to re-supply any lunar colony with water regularly, in the first few decades at least, because I dont think the "Frost" inside craters will suffice. I also think it will have to be a Multi - National venture with ESA, NASA, Russian, and Indian or Chinese Space Agencies involved due to the enormous costs for developing what will need to be ground-breaking technologies in terms of life support. NASA is developing the SLS with an initial lift capacity of 70 tonnes (Waspie - does that include its own propellant weight??), ESA has the Ariane and Jules Verne re-supply vehicle - between them there will be a huge capacity to get into orbit and beyond depending on configuration.

Sufficient supplies to set up a station on Mars would be available by sending Jules Verne (s) on ahead configured with payloads dropped onto the Red planet to sustain human habitation. This is Rocket Science, but a capability that will mature in just a few years - without the need for exotic drive engines that could be decades away.

How to return from Mars? Well i dont think it was any accident that NASA used a retro rocket to lift Curiosity's lander back up into the Martian atmosphere (Proof of Concept).

So where do we go? My wish would be Mars - geologically far more interesting than the Moon. Is there life there (living or extinct) - doesn't make the slightest bit of difference, going to a planet rich in every mineral needed to survive and thrive, then the Moon is just playing second fiddle.... IMO

#45    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,284 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 25 September 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

You would also have to re-supply any lunar colony with water regularly, in the first few decades at least, because I dont think the "Frost" inside craters will suffice.
It's not "frost" it is a significant amount of frozen water which could almost certainly supply a human base for many decades. The down side is that this ice can only be found inside craters near the lunar poles.

Sufficient supplies to set up a station on Mars would be available by sending Jules Verne (s) on ahead configured with payloads dropped onto the Red planet to sustain human habitation.
Jules Vernes? Do you mean ATVs?

Well i dont think it was any accident that NASA used a retro rocket to lift Curiosity's lander back up into the Martian atmosphere (Proof of Concept).
That is NOT what it did, it simply hovered, lowered the rover on to the surface and then crashed. There was no lifting anything back into the atmosphere.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users