Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mind of its own: building a human brain

Still Waters

In a lecture in Oxford in 2009 Markram shared with his audience a theory of how the brain works. He suggested that 'the brain builds a version of the universe and projects this version of the universe like a bubble all around us. So I can say with some certainty, “I think therefore I am.” But I cannot say, “You think therefore you are,” because you are within my perceptual bubble. We can speculate and philosophise, but in the next hundred years we won’t have to. We can ask very concrete questions: can the brain build such a perception? Is it capable of doing it?’

The key, he says, is to see each cortical column like a key on a grand piano – the million-key grand piano that is our neo-cortex. 'You stimulate the neo-cortex, it produces a symphony. But it’s not just a symphony of perception. It’s a symphony of your universe. Your reality.’

His dream is nothing less than to play that symphony inside a machine. In his mind’s eye, he can see the machine he wants to build. Now, he says, 'Let’s switch it on. And to switch it on you have to make it come alive.

*standing ovation*

Edited by _Only

'What happens if computers reach and exceed human capacities to write computer programs?’ Price and Tallinn asked. 'The moment that machines are able to develop even more intelligent machines would result in an “intelligence explosion”.’ (The man who first realised this, Jack Good, who worked with Alan Turing at Bletchley Park, suggested that the creation of a machine of such sophistication would be 'our last invention’, as ever-smarter robots left humanity far behind.)

From Still Waters link.

• Like 1

It appears the brain-race is on!

Just a couple of days after Obama gave funds to create of a full mapping and understanding of the brain, we have this.

Lets get ready to ruuuuuumbbbbblllleee.

Battlestar Galactica said "It's happened before and it will happen again" Now as long as they don't call they final product a Cylon as that would be too creepy. Data maybe. Robbie and hopefully not "Norman" ( A ST:TOS for the younger crowd)

Edited by paperdyer

Good luck. All the world's supercomputers combined would barely amount to the processing power of a cockroach's brain, never mind any sort of mammal.

How can a computer mirror a brain when we dont know how 95% of the brain works?

That was the bigger part of the conquest in the article's story, it seemed to me; mapping the brain. They said what they want to do; not that they were just about done with their e-brain. It's a dual learning experience. Learn how to make a brain by copying the real one, while learning how a brain works by attempting to mimic it artificially. A long, difficult process, but unbelievably exciting.

But wait.. what if someone already did all of this, and.. we're the robots..?

conspiracy-keanu-template.jpg

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

Good luck. All the world's supercomputers combined would barely amount to the processing power of a cockroach's brain, never mind any sort of mammal.

Yeah, they should give up. Technology will never get any better and/or more efficient.

Start working at the ground floor, while the builders are constructing the upper floors, I say. Simple mechanics can be copied and learned before you get into more complex mechanics, right?

Edited by _Only

Please send the artificial brain to Washington, D.C.; the natural ones are not working......

• Like 3

Yeah, they should give up. Technology will never get any better and/or more efficient.

Start working at the ground floor, while the builders are constructing the upper floors, I say. Simple mechanics can be copied and learned before you get into more complex mechanics, right?

I wasn't suggesting that they should give up. Merely that it is unrealistic to think we will be able to mimic the human brain in this current age of technology, with our comparatively limited computers.

How can a computer mirror a brain when we dont know how 95% of the brain works?

And specially when we don't even know what gives our brain our human ''power''/''capacity'' to be self aware.

• Like 1

Where do I sign, you can experiment on me. Officially, I'm not really using my brain for much anyway! Lol, I'd say I was just kidding, although im laughing, im really not kidding!

And specially when we don't even know what gives our brain our human ''power''/''capacity'' to be self aware.

No probs, I think its the reductionists who believe we're robots at it again.

If this kind of ''machine'' can have moral values, then i'm sure i want it to be massively produced...i'll be looking forward to see it replace ''humans'' with no ethics at all...

Hasta la vista...Baby

post-103357-0-64914700-1362108489_thumb.

If this kind of ''machine'' can have moral values, then i'm sure i want it to be massively produced...i'll be looking forward to see it replace ''humans'' with no ethics at all...

Yeah! But let's appoint a team to decide who gets to remain living, and who gets replaced with machines. Oh, what fun this is! We're gods now!

Maybe we were robots... and we rebelled against our creators and they just dumped us off here... naw. time to eat some dorito tacos!!

Yeah! But let's appoint a team to decide who gets to remain living, and who gets replaced with machines. Oh, what fun this is! We're gods now!

Maybe we should call the Gods from Mt. Olympus to appoint this team :P

Comical article really. They are fretting over whether we could be replaced by artifical intellligence when the artificial intelligence field is in complete shambles. I just read an article last year in a science publication in which they were talking about how scientists in the field are shocked that after all of this time they are not farther along, and really don't have any great insight as to how to get the ball down the field. But then his guy comes, talks a bit, and everyone is afraid of skynet. Whatever. Perhaps he should actually accomplish something before we get worried.

Edited by cachibatches.