Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Your Life Already Written?

FOAM

Do you believe that life is already written? I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu. He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic. He told me something interesting. That he believed that there is a book about life in general. Life is already written and its in this book. So your life, my life is written in this book. What are your thoughts and views. Do you believe that your life is already written?

Do you believe that life is already written? I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu. He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic. He told me something interesting. That he believed that there is a book about life in general. Life is already written and its in this book. So your life, my life is written in this book. What are your thoughts and views. Do you believe that your life is already written?

You refer to destiny and no I do not beleive this.

There is no fate but what you make!

Fact is we write our own lives individually, i often refer to people who beleive in destiny as fatalists because that is what they are.

I've heard of this book before, I think, but I think it's all BS. Our futures are made of what we do now, and what we do now is up to us. Therefore, we shape our own destinies.

Free will is something that has been debated for hundreds if not thousands of years. I have never come accross an arguement so compelling that it proves one over the other without a doubt.

I think this is something each person must come to terms with on their own. I very much want to believe in free will, because it feels right and it sure seems that I can exercise free will. However, I am not completely opposed to the idea that it may be an illusion.

As for as the book, I have not heard of a Hindu book like that, but I have not a great deal of studying on Hinduism either.

What you described sounds suspiciously like the book of life you find in Judaism, here is the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Life_(Judaism)

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

Well actually, everything is caused by something else. If you had a large enough computer you could use the location of all the particles in the universe to predict their future motions.

There are no random events. You cannot even make a random decision because every choice is based on your state of mind, which is effected by physical forces.

No man is an island.

If this isn't true about how peoples lives are not already written. What about the Mayan calendar written by Mayan Priests that can see the future. Didn't that predict future events. Or psychics and prophets. How do these people see the future if it isn't written? The pyramids in Egypt. The hieroglyphics predicted future events. How so if the future is not written.

The Influences that surround you which makes you the person who you are cannot be controlled by you. We all walk this path towards who we are supposed to be. The influences steer you towards what you are going to be. So maybe, who you are going to be is already written because you cannot control your surrounding influences.

Edited by FOAM

If this isn't true about how peoples lives are not already written. What about the Mayan calendar written by Mayan Priests that can see the future. Didn't that predict future events. Or psychics and prophets. How do these people see the future if it isn't written? The pyramids in Egypt. The hieroglyphics predicted future events. How so if the future is not written.

The mayan calender ends in 2012 and nothing you mentioned above has been proven to be able to tell future events. Hieroglyphs in Egyptian pyramids, psychics/prophets or the mayans could tell the future.

The Influences that surround you which makes you the person who you are cannot be controlled by you. We all walk this path towards who we are supposed to be. The influences steer you towards what you are going to be. So maybe, who you are going to be is already written because you cannot control your surrounding influences.

Sure you cannot change things that happen around you but you can decide how you will react to them. For example you see a ladies purse get snatched and you can make a 'choice' whether to help her or not. Some things like car accidents etc just happen you have no control over these types of events. However there are lot's of events you can controll for example what your career will be or whether or not you will have pancakes for breakfast.

However there are lot's of events you can controll for example what your career will be or whether or not you will have pancakes for breakfast.

Some would argue that those "choices" are just illusion and the everything from career choices, what you will have for breakfast, to altruistic behaviour are determined by ones own genetics and cumulative experiences. Such that, any individual with that exact DNA who was exposed to those exact life circumstances would have chosen exactly the samething. So in the end, you have no free will.

(I'm not argueing with you by the way, just putting this out there for discussion)

Edited by Razer

Some would argue that those "choices" are just illusion and the everything from career choices, what you will have for breakfast, to altruistic behaviour are determined by ones own genetics and cumulative experiences. Such that, any individual with that exact DNA who was exposed to those exact life circumstances would have chosen exactly the samething. So in the end, you have no free will.

(I'm not argueing with you by the way, just putting this out there for discussion)

I ask people to prove scientifically that we do not have free will. If they can't we have our answer...

I think that major things that shape your life are alreadly planned, but there are lots of different paths to get to them, and its up to the choices and descions you make that decides which path you take.

So, there is free will, but in the end the most important parts in your life will happen whatever you do. Obviously there is no way to prove this....It's just how I feel.

Edited by Fleur-de-lis

Here is the analogy that I have often used:

I have three kids. Each are very different from each other. 2 daughters and 1 son.

Now as their parent, I know based on their personalities, likes and dislikes what they will do/choose. Does this mean they do not have 'free will', no - it means I so understand them that the "odds" of me knowing the outcome of their choice is 95% or greater.

But they do surprise me at times and go a different 'choice'.

Some of our 'free will' choices are dictated by peer preasure, money, environment and so on. But even under these 'stimulus' we still sometimes just go a 'different direction'. Call it 'whim', 'gut feeling' and so on. Each choice is a choice of your will. Just how much of your 'will' you put into the choice is the question.

Did that make any sense??? :blink:

Jj -

Edited by Jjbreen

I think we, ourselves chose the way we are to live this life and the lessons that will be presented. There is an infinite number of possible futures and we choose one by every choice we make. It's not something bad. And it doesn't mean we don't have free will.

Edit: somewhat related to what I just said---> http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry1513817

Edited by Alara

I've been thinking about this for a while... and feel that it's possible our lives and future are written... but can also be changed by our actions and the decisions we make.

This is something that happened to me some time ago as I was about to fall asleep...

I was getting that dreaded feeling of falling into sleep paralysis, when I suddenly heard the doorknob to my bedroom jiggled and the door flew open. I lifted up my head in time to see a tall man in dark clothing with a face mask on walk in... immediately lifting up his arm with a gun in his hand - pointing straigh at me and fired. I only heard a zip through the air and felt a sharp punch-like pain in my chest as I fell back... and only had time to turn my head to the side to look at my husband lying next to me, still asleep as two more zips in the air hit him making his body jump, but he never got up. The image faded and I saw blackness... In my mind I desperately tried to wake myself up and finally did, I sat up in bed shaking and really upset... I had never had such a real and horrible dream of my own death! I convinced myself it was only a nightmare and lied back down to try and sleep... seconds passed when the "dream" started again, but this time I heard a voice yell "Get up!! NOW, get up!!"... I sat up in a panic not wanting to go through that again, but I could still hear a faint voice telling me to "Get the door, Go!"... I jumped off the bed and now totally terrified I had to get to the door before this man got in, I ran in the dark towards our front door. Just as I got to the living room I heard sounds by the front door, the doorknob shook and I knew someone was outside!! :o I quickly hit the switch to turn on the front lights... I ran to the backdoor and turned the lights on to the back patio. I peeked out the window and could not see anyone outside (wondered if maybe it was a relative who had stopped by)... I hoped at least all the lighting would scare them off and hopefully some of the neighbors would look out their window, wondering what was going on. I sat there for a while still very upset.

After about a half hour I noticed lights outside, like someone was walking around with flashlights, and suddenly a very bright light was shining towards our house. I looked out the window to see a police car parked on the street (while another slowly drove down the street) and a police officer walking towards our house. They had noticed our lights were all ON and were checking to see if anyone had seen anything... What I was told by the officer was that a man had just held up a gas station near by and shot at the cashier, some witnesses had seen him run down our street and they were still searching for him! :blink: I told him I had heard someone by our front door half an hour earlier and they looked all around our home outside as well as the rest of the street. I don't know if they caught him, but it was definately one of those things you never forget. :no:

Now did I change my future? or did I simply keep this man from changing what was already written for my life? How and why do people get these sort of warnings about things that are yet to happen? I don't know...

Do you believe that life is already written?

Apparently, God revealed His plan (specifically) for Jesus.

"If you knew all that I knew, my poor Jerusalem, you'd see the truth, but you close your eyes..." (Jesus Christ Superstar)

I believe at this point, Jesus made a conscious decision to give up his free will and die on the cross. In a way, it is an offer (from God, Himself) one can't refuse. Perhaps, it is an offer of a lifetime, an offer of freedom. This is beyond me, of course, because that plan was meant for Jesus. Whether the rest of the story is a mere PR concocted by his disciples is beyond me -- a man did die on the cross, regardless. A great power walked this earth, at one point in time, and I absolutely believe this happened because of special people I've met in this lifetime. To believe in the glory of this story (and Jesus to be equal to God and is God...) is to be a Christian. I am not a Christian, just because I don't believe Christ is God.

Prophets also saw and heard of God's plan for them.

But is one's life already written in a book..., that I don't know. I am grateful that I don't know God's plan for me. Again, I could only be grateful. In this case, ignorance is bliss, I think. If God does (concretely) reveal Himself or Herself to me, then perhaps, I will follow. I really couldn't tell you what I would do. Although, God's plan is not always so dramatic, nor tragic. For example, I exist; therefore, it is a plan, if one would like to see it that way, whether you and I consciously know it as such. I go about doing my daily routine. And I am extremely thankful for the people and cool things in my life. I count my many blessings, the miracles of life, everyday. Anything so profound is beyond my mind, in the first place.

Apparently, God revealed His plan (specifically) for Jesus.

"If you knew all that I knew, my poor Jerusalem, you'd see the truth, but you close your eyes..." (Jesus Christ Superstar)

I believe at this point, Jesus made a conscious decision to give up his free will and die on the cross. In a way, it is an offer (from God, Himself) one can't refuse. Perhaps, it is an offer of a lifetime, an offer of freedom. This is beyond me, of course, because that plan was meant for Jesus. Whether the rest of the story is a mere PR concocted by his disciples is beyond me -- a man did die on the cross, regardless. A great power walked this earth, at one point in time, and I absolutely believe this happened because of special people I've met in this lifetime. To believe in the glory of this story (and Jesus to be equal to God and is God...) is to be a Christian. I am not a Christian, just because I don't believe Christ is God.

Prophets also saw and heard of God's plan for them.

But is one's life already written in a book..., that I don't know. I am grateful that I don't know God's plan for me. Again, I could only be grateful. In this case, ignorance is bliss, I think. If God does (concretely) reveal Himself or Herself to me, then perhaps, I will follow. I really couldn't tell you what I would do. Although, God's plan is not always so dramatic, nor tragic. For example, I exist; therefore, it is a plan, if one would like to see it that way, whether you and I consciously know it as such. I go about doing my daily routine. And I am extremely thankful for the people and cool things in my life. I count my many blessings, the miracles of life, everyday. Anything so profound is beyond my mind, in the first place.

Just an example. Your opinions are interesting.

God Revealed to Jesus his fate. But you call it free will because he was already told what was going to happen to him. What if God didn't tell him. Is that still considered free will?

Kudos to your story violet. scary!

Edited by FOAM

So if everyone has a possible future and all is made by the choices that we make then isn't our lives affecting the others who don't make choices for themsleves listening to others as the voice of their consciousness?

We i think have control over our lives just how we have control is very comlpicated because we just cannot say this is this and that is that emotions, gut feelings, or material things get in the way of the right or wrong decision that we make thorughtout our day to day lives. Emotions basicaly because emotions triggers some type of hormone for some type of reaction to that emotion to cry, get angry, or confuse your judgment!!

Our lives as we live and decide it everyday with the thoughts, emotions, and people that we meet connect with every individaul that we meet. Either that connection with something such as material or emotional says what is what wth that person and that affects what is done to some parts of our lives and what we decision we might make because of a certain person, cause, or memory!!

It is basically our thoughts and emotions mixed with others affecting our next choice or if you are alone then the interaaction that we have with others based on how we feel or the first impression that tells us a memory of what that person or subject will leave on your mind!!

DhA...OraCle

-Randy W.

So if everyone has a possible future and all is made by the choices that we make then isn't our lives affecting the others who don't make choices for themsleves listening to others as the voice of their consciousness?

We i think have control over our lives just how we have control is very comlpicated because we just cannot say this is this and that is that emotions, gut feelings, or material things get in the way of the right or wrong decision that we make thorughtout our day to day lives. Emotions basicaly because emotions triggers some type of hormone for some type of reaction to that emotion to cry, get angry, or confuse your judgment!!

Our lives as we live and decide it everyday with the thoughts, emotions, and people that we meet connect with every individaul that we meet. Either that connection with something such as material or emotional says what is what wth that person and that affects what is done to some parts of our lives and what we decision we might make because of a certain person, cause, or memory!!

It is basically our thoughts and emotions mixed with others affecting our next choice or if you are alone then the interaaction that we have with others based on how we feel or the first impression that tells us a memory of what that person or subject will leave on your mind!!

DhA...OraCle

-Randy W.

Do you always throw you're words together making a big jumbled mess and in the end you're post is at the most hardly understandable?

I highly doubt that this is true! And saying that everyone's lives has already been written down in a book just sounds even more ridiculous just the sheer volume of this book alone is almost un-imaginable.

Just an example. Your opinions are interesting.

God Revealed to Jesus his fate. But you call it free will because he was already told what was going to happen to him. What if God didn't tell him. Is that still considered free will?

Kudos to your story violet. scary!

Hi,

In order for one to give up one's free will, as regards to dealing with God, there must be a set guideline for one to base one's decision. It is a conscious, CONSIDERATE ACT.

So, if (the if is emphasized) God didn't tell him, then Jesus' action is merely an instinct, gut feeling, hunch. Then again, the story leading up to the Calvary and so on wouldn't have the same impact -- not many people would have died in Jesus' name. But since I believe that Jesus did connect to God, 300%, then "Thy will be done." Again, to give up one's "free will" is a very conscious, CONSIDERATE ACT, with a divine connotation, God is in the mix, God is revealed, concrete. It is not just a lone feeling. True, "free will" is spoken so casually these days, but in my belief system, it is not a common occurrence. One has to consider an ABSOLUTE entity. When revealed, to go against this entity is to use one's "free will." To follow this entity is to be part of its plan. To be ignorant of this plan is probably still part of its plan. I, for one, do not feel bad about my ignorance. I won't lose sleep over it. I simply don't know the plan, but I believe that I'm in that plan by the good things in my life. I really can't complain because I've seen and experienced the worst(s) in life. I could only go by what is in front of me. And I have my sincere prayers. I feel God's love; therefore, I believe I'm in the plan.

Again, even though we live in "God's plan," we DO NOT know that. We could only believe through our sincere heart. True, some claim that they know the plan; therefore, I cannot speak for everyone. At any rate, the plan is beyond me. I could only accept the surface and go about my daily life, my harmless rituals. We could always pretend that we know, but in the end, we really don't know -- unless God reveals Himself or Herself to us and so on.

Peace.

Edited by dlv

I was saying that everyone emotions affect their lives and others lives. Others lives are affected by their emotions and the choices that comes from their emotional stature and the other person who emotionally affect them with their choices and emotional stature!!

Also saying that everyone lives are connected with one anothers because of the emotional or material decision that we make on ourselves and each other!!

DhA...OraCle

-Randy W.

I was saying that everyone emotions affect their lives and others lives. Others lives are affected by their emotions and the choices that comes from their emotional stature and the other person who emotionally affect them with their choices and emotional stature!!

Also saying that everyone lives are connected with one anothers because of the emotional or material decision that we make on ourselves and each other!!

DhA...OraCle

-Randy W.

Okay so does any of what you just said have anything to do with everyone's life being written down in a book?

Edited by Moro Bumbleroot

A person life would never be written in a book because time is one second at a time so a person choices is a second at a time cannot be written because of the free will that we have to freely think what we want to. Our choices affect others lives as though who could say what is going to happen while everyone is affecting everyone not knowing it. Who knows our choices probably are wrotten already but some of us canot control our emotional status.

Simple words emotions control choices and we have many paths to choose but other people affects us with their emotional choices or thoughts continually affecting each other with different paths. Our lives may be foretold that i don't know, but i do know that i have dreams about my future life and don't even really pay attention to it until it happens so is your life programmed into your mind. Or as everyone is one can we access someone or everyones future by a connection. It could have happened to be connected to future events of others and everyone in a certain place written down in a BOOK OF LIFE!!

The real question is would you look into that book if it was placed in front of you for a moment?

DhA...OraCle

-Randy W.

I ask people to prove scientifically that we do not have free will. If they can't we have our answer...

Well, according to science if you start an experiment with exaclty the same input you should arrive with the exact same output every time. No matter how big or how small the experiment. If you consider our universe one big experiment, and the big bang the input, then the output is already determined. I know this is rather general and I haven't qualified much, be the detailed version of this is more than I can write now, I have a huge headache.