Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Poll, Has religion made the world better?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Does religion make the world a better place? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Has religion made the world better or worse?

1. Better (11 votes [19.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.30%

2. Worse (38 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. It is irrelevant and does neither. (8 votes [14.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#106    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Postdanielost, on 25 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Get my facts straight.  You the one who kept saying the syrian peoole loved thier dictator.  How's that going by the way.  They only Islamic natiuon that didn't force anyone to convert was the Otoman Empire
get your facts straight AND stay on topic without attacking me personally

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#107    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 25 February 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

After eight years of fighting with the Meccan tribes, his followers, who by then had grown to 10,000, took control of Mecca in the largely peaceful Conquest of Mecca. He destroyed the pagan idols in the city[18] and then sent his followers out to destroy all of the remaining pagan temples in Eastern Arabia.[19][20] In 632, a few months after returning to Medina from The Farewell Pilgrimage, Muhammad fell ill and died. By the time of his death, most of the Arabian Peninsula had converted to Islam, and he had united Arabia into a single Muslim religious polity

You just got to love religion....not!
BTW the christians were just as bad.
so what .. when muslims where peacefull and small groups they were tortured and killed by pagans
but when muslims conqured mecca .. they did not treat them the same
let's not cherry pick :P

Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots

#108    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

so what .. when Pagans  where peacefull and small groups they were tortured and killed by the christians and muslims.
but when Pagans conquered............................oh wait!
let's not cherry pick :whistle:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#109    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,662 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Poor Knight, Wiki, not that good for reseach. About.com I have found to be a useful site for information. This is information about Mesopotamia before Islam.
http://archaeology.a...mesopotamia.htm
Lighten up and have fun.

Edited by Darkwind, 25 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#110    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,177 posts

eight this is your historians words ...

How in the name of Galloping Gaspacho is Wikipedia copypasta mine?

i find your use of " a fountain pen and chess and a few other things " is very amusing

I haven't discussed those triumphs. As with Wikipedia as a "source" for "my" historians, I think you have confused me with someone else.

I have never denied the heroism of the captive peoples in maintaining scholarship as well as they did for as long they did. What I resist  is referring to Peter stealing Paul's gold as "Peter's Golden Age." I would make the same arguments if somebody had posted that the Roman conquests of Egypt and Greece led to a Roman Golden Age.

Posted Image

#111    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

View Postfreetoroam, on 25 February 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

so what .. when Pagans  where peacefull and small groups they were tortured and killed by the christians and muslims.
but when Pagans conquered............................oh wait!
let's not cherry pick :whistle:
i don't know about christians
i know that pagans were the majority of arab world during islam rise
and they fought muslims tooth and nail against islam even when muslims were peaceful and didn't fight back
and yet after every thing they commited against muslims
muslims did not treat them the same .. destroying their idols and temples is merciful act
if we wanted to compare it to how much they tortured muslims
but it appears no one ever read history these days :D

first there was pagans .. then there was muslims .. not the opposite
and even those who didn't convert to islam after mecca conquest they were not treated like pagans treated muslims
they were given safty and were not harmed
yes let's not cherry pick

#112    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Poor Knight, Wiki, not that good for reseach. About.com I have found to be a useful site for information. This is information about Mesopotamia before Islam.
http://archaeology.a...mesopotamia.htm
Lighten up and have fun.
that wiki link is the result of major agreement among historians
am sure there is ones out there " eager " to prove islam did not have golden age for certain reasons in their hearts
but that does not really surprise or impress me
i take what historians agreed upon ... that is history
one shout of envy among one or anothere here and there is not history

#113    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Posteight bits, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I haven't discussed those triumphs. As with Wikipedia as a "source" for "my" historians, I think you have confused me with someone else.

I have never denied the heroism of the captive peoples in maintaining scholarship as well as they did for as long they did. What I resist  is referring to Peter stealing Paul's gold as "Peter's Golden Age." I would make the same arguments if somebody had posted that the Roman conquests of Egypt and Greece led to a Roman Golden Age.
Sorry eight bits, I have to take the credit for the fountain pen and chess as they were on the list of muslim ingenious inventions which we in the west would have died out without them.
Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#114    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

i don't know about christians
i know that pagans were the majority of arab world during islam rise
and they fought muslims tooth and nail against islam even when muslims were peaceful and didn't fight back
and yet after every thing they commited against muslims
muslims did not treat them the same .. destroying their idols and temples is merciful act
if we wanted to compare it to how much they tortured muslims
but it appears no one ever read history these days :D

first there was pagans .. then there was muslims .. not the opposite
and even those who didn't convert to islam after mecca conquest they were not treated like pagans treated muslims
they were given safty and were not harmed
yes let's not cherry pick

yes first there were Pagans, no doubt about that. Its when the religions came along that the pagans started getting murdered by religious people. The muslims came after pagans, so did the christians!!!

Posted Image

Edited by freetoroam, 25 February 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#115    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Posteight bits, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

i already explained to you how nations succeed each other and how they improve what they gain from the previous one
in that very first reply i did to you .. which i think you never read

the thing is .. they also contirbuted to rise of islamic age .. but they did not " cause " it
muslim who caused it if there was no islam there will never be islamic " golden age "
and keep in mind .. the islamic golden age is golden to muslims .. not to you
roman who treated arabs like cattles in their golden age .. that age was not golden to arabs
use common logic here

but did islamic empire improved what was already there .. and invented new things history says yes
like i said .. look up your stars names .. most of them in arabic names
that alone evidence enough let along heaps of other things in science , math , algebra , enginerring
.. and the number zero .. the list go on

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 25 February 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#116    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 25 February 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

yes first there were Pagans, no doubt about that. Its when the religions came along that the pagans started getting murdered. The muslims came after pagans, so did the christians!!!

Posted Image
am not christian perhaps you should ask them about that no ?
perhaps pagans should have not killed any one who disagreed with their religion at first place
all i care is about muslims did not treat pagan in same crueltiy they treated muslims
for christians that's not my field they can answer for them self

#117    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 25 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

am not christian perhaps you should ask them about that no ?
perhaps pagans should have not killed any one who disagreed with their religion at first place
all i care is about muslims did not treat pagan in same crueltiy they treated muslims
for christians that's not my field they can answer for them self

Paganism IS NOT A RELIGION!
It is a way of life, respect for nature and respecting what it can do for you as a whole and what nature can do against you as a whole.

There were/are no books to read about gods or prophets telling you how to live and worship them in Paganism. Its is about nature and what comes from the mind and within.

Quickest ways to make a million, start a religion.
L.Ron Hubbard.

Edited by freetoroam, 25 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#118    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 25 February 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Paganism IS NOT A RELIGION!
It is a way of life, respect for nature and respecting what it can do for you as a whole and what nature can do against you as a whole.

There were/are no books to read about gods or prophets telling you how to live and worship them in Paganism. Its is about nature and what comes from the mind and within.

Quickest ways to make a million, start a religion.
L.Ron Hubbard.
makes no difference .. why were they so anxious to kill any one who disagreed with whatever they were having ?
don't you think that led to violence against them ?
perhaps if they let other religions be in peace they would have not snapped against them ?
but like i said .. muslims did not treated them the same way they treated muslims
your link prove that .. only their idols and temples were destroyed in mecca .. they were not killed

#119    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 25 February 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

makes no difference .. why were they so anxious to kill any one who disagreed with whatever they were having ?
don't you think that led to violence against them ?
perhaps if they let other religions be in peace they would have not snapped against them ?
but like i said .. muslims did not treated them the same way they treated muslims
your link prove that .. only their idols and temples were destroyed in mecca .. they were not killed

You are right, the Pagans were not killed, they were slaughtered!

As for the  bold......this is exactly what  the religions have done.  The pagans had been here for centuries before the muslims and christians came along, and when they do come along....war!!!
Today islam is the one religion where in certain countries they will not tolerate other religions...is this what has been taught to them from their forefathers?

Posted Image

Edited by freetoroam, 25 February 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#120    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

A lot of art has been destroyed by religions too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users