Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep reduction

PsychicPenguin

OK.. this is the first practical skill that I developed. After joining the UM forum, I started experimenting with meditation. I have experienced several unusual sensations during the meditation sessions, but none of them are very convincing. However I started to have dreams when sleeping. Before I never have any dreams recalled, but now I can recall about 2 to 4 dreams every night.

The most important discovery is that my sleeping time has reduced to about 4 hours a day, never more than 6 hours. Also I don't need my alarm clock any longer, I can always wake up at the time when I have to. I think this is a very important skill to develop and I would like to share it with fellow UM members because without them I would never discover this.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsychicPenguin

• Druidus

• jimma

• Venomshocker

Hmmm, Is sleep reduction really healthy for you...?

Are the dreams powerful and inspirational? Or typical odd senseles dreams?

So far they are appear to be typical dreams, and off course there is no study for the health impact tongue.gif But heck... this is like 3 in the morning here and i haven't feel sleepy yet. But I always feel really well in the morning, this is totally different than what I got from stress or caffeine. When I wake up, it is the same feeling as what I got during holidays, enough sleep, no alarm clock. I think the overall quality of sleep is increased, therefore less quantity is needed.

Hmmm, Is sleep reduction really healthy for you...?

Are the dreams powerful and inspirational? Or typical odd senseles dreams?

It is considered mentally dangerous to get less than 5 hours a night for most healthy adults. (except the old people next door to me that like to Hoover at ****ing 6am, bless 'em)

, and off course there is no study for the health impact

Yes there is, I'll try and find it for you! original.gif

Those are interesting side-effects: recalling your dreams is an improvement. You are progressing...the sleep thing, I've never heard about that one. Oh, yes I have, the gurus or spiritial teachers sleep only 2 hours a night, I remember reading.

It is considered mentally dangerous to get less than 5 hours a night for most healthy adults. (except the old people next door to me that like to Hoover at ****ing 6am, bless 'em)

I'm not talking about a college-kid-in-final-week living style. This is not insomnia, caffeine, or alarm clock. The only reason I wake up after 4 or 5 hours is because it is enough.

lol, last summer, I went five days without sleep on a two hundred dollor bet (I was supposed to go a whole week though). Fell asleep on the sixth, but I was so screwed up. There was a purple elephant hallucination who kept saying he wanted to have tea with me. It scared the sh** out of me. I stole the garbage from a small store down the street, ran away screaming "I got the treasure!!!!!". I know that because my family (some family eh?) decided to tape me because they found me funny. I thought if I climbed onto the roof I could touch the stars, that ended in me falling onto the grass and almost falling asleep. The purple elephant stopped me. They always play that tape when family is around now. p***es me off. I had so many hallucinations, damn they were funny and terrifying. Most of the funny stuff occured after late third day. I lost my sanity while eating dinner and never gained it back until I slept eighteen hours in the fetal position. They taped me falling asleep too. I was shouting "GO AWAY YOU DAMN ELEPHANT!!! I'LL KILL YOU!!!" I couldn't even say the alphabet on the third day. I lost perception of reality big time. It was funny. Anyways the point is, if you want an interesting week do it without sleep thumbsup.gif . I'm serious. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Try to make sense of it for me.

by the end of the third day, I start crashing, never had any hallucinations though, but unless I get atleast 10 hours of sleep a night, I feel Rat S***, but I wouldn't mind a copy of that tape Druidus grin2.giflaugh.gif

We were just talking about mood disorders today in my psych class. My professor mentioned that less than about 4-5 hours of sleep every night for prolonged periods can produce effects that closely resemble schizophrenia including the hallucinations and psychosis. You can try keeping up with your current sleep pattern if it doesn’t bother you, just look out for those purple elephants wink2.gif . Keep us posted in the days to come I am curious how you will do. By the way, how much are you meditating?

Purple Elephants?? Wow... that's interesting laugh.gif or maybe they are real?? blink.gif well.. i'll take their picture if they start to show up here thumbsup.gifw00t.gif

It might produce problems unless you are middle-aged, Penquin. The older you get the less sleep you need.

I wish i could do that PsychicPenguin....I can never get enough sleep. I usually sleep for 12 hours and it's still not enough lol. I've been missing my morning classes at college because of this sad.gif

Hey Mango look up Polyphasic sleeping. It should help you. It helped me, I had the same problem. Check these out:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720

http://polyphasic.blogspot.com/

Don't follow the second ones schedule it's not as good. If you follow mine it should work well:

3AM-4AM Start to sleep

5AM-6.5AM Wake up (Use alarm clock in beginning afterwards drop it)

9AM-10.5AM 10-30 minute nap

1PM-2.5PM 10-30 minute nap

5PM-6.5PM 10-30 minute nao

9PM-10.5PM 10-30 minute nap

1AM-2.5AM 10-30 minute nap

Ideally after a few weeks you need only 1-2 hours of "core" sleep and naps during the day. The number of naps in a day can be adjusted a bit but not too much. It may sound crazy or complicated but I feel the greatest I ever have because of it. It's how humans used to live and how many mammals still do. We lived in a dangerous place and needed to be awake longer. This was how we compensated. Your circadian rythm will take about a week to adjust, so try not to do it when you have important occasions. And *don't* skip naps. Leonardo da Vinci used this method, so did Nikola Tesla, Einstein, Edison, Churchill and many other geniuses.

Update: things are going out of control, I don't know what is going to happen.

Yesterday during my meditation session, things started to materialize. First I got a cold breeze of wind (i was meditating in a completely closed room). The sensation was so real that I think it was a real wind, and not just my imagination. It happened for about 30 seconds, but i'm not really sure about its duration as sense of time is lost during a deep meditation.

After I finished my meditation, I went to bed. My pillow was really weird, I felt a lot of static electricity between my hair and my pillow. Also there was some unexplained noise coming from my computer speaker. Maybe I generated a lot of static electricity and caused a local disruption. Then I unplugged the speakers from the outlet to kill the noise.

As I drifted to sleep, I felt a very strong vibration under my skin, started from my head and then spreaded to the rest of my body. I ignored it, tried to relax, and finally managed to sleep. One hour later I was awaken. Apparently the vibration was getting out of control. Being afraid of a psychic attack, I quickly casted a psi shield arround me. The vibration stop, return to bed, and.. I woke up again?? blink.gif So the vibration that woke me up the first time was only a dream?? But it was too real to be a dream... anyway.. I finaly managed to sleep for another 3.5 hour, so I guess everything is back to normal now.

i guess it belongs here...

Thats crazy. I stay up a lot of nights and i have hallucinated from about 3 days. I always used some "medication" to keep me awake. But i was looking at a plane white piece of paper and saw what i made out to be as a bug in crazy swirling colors dancing, thats the best way i could describe it. Then i went to take a test in my ATL150, which i spent the last nite studying, and jumbled up the answers to which question. but enough of me rambling i may try this ubermans sleep method. hit me back

later

t4chyon

I think psyguin that you were meditating and the sleep things awoke psi in you tht you didnt know you had, or did know you had...but it was uncontrollable, you can do it but not of will...happened to me with ek...the breeze was real, you used kinetics, aero or cryo, and the static was electro...if i were you id keep doing what youre doing...i think i should try that also

Good luck man

I don't know if i'm ready to sleep about 2 hours a day... i'm going crazy... I managed to sleep normally again after stopping the practise for about 4 days... but i'm going to try again tonight and see what will happen.

Penguin I almost understand where you are coming from. I also have an internal alarm clock. I wake up at 5:15 am every single morning. I can still go to sleep after if I want to but I usually don't. I sleep about 4-5 hours a night and I do not think it is unhealthy. I have seen somethings on the news about less sleep maybe being more healthy and allowing for people to live longer. I do a type of meditation called rebirthing. It is taking me a long time to learn and will take me years to master but I will eventually do it perfectly. Keep up the small amounts of sleep because you will live longer. Also I would highly suggest you try salvia divinorum. It will allow you to experience life like you were meant to be experiencing it. It is a legal herb that I ordered online and I have never done anything like it. It is stronger than any illegal drug I have ever used and it made me realize a lot about life. I used to take one hit of salvia and wait about 10 minutes before doing a rebirthing session. You can see lines of magnetism and gravity in your mind. They are all over the place it is insane. Everyone I know who has done it can see these lines. They run parallel on both sides of your body. It is spectacular.

errr... drugs...???? .... i don't think so rolleyes.gif i'm going to lose a lot of credibility with that.

i dont like drugs...im stupid enough already blink.gif but im still getting 6-7 hours of sleep every night...its hard to get less sleep becaus ei have to go to school...and i get tired and pass out.

I remember reading this article about sleeping during a test. The article mentioned how you usually sleep less when you get older and it has been proven with studies done on people that had trouble sleeping and how stress can also play a role in your ability on how you slept, Example i usually sleep for 8 hours on a school day and when i wake up, i still feel sleepy but now i am on a spring break and i sleep for 8 hours and i feel great! thumbsup.gif

Stress may have something to do with it. Meditation definitely reduces stress. However I definitely sleep more during holidays wink2.gif

errr... drugs...???? .... i don't think so  i'm going to lose a lot of credibility with that.

Well no one else is going to know. We wont tell. We promise... whistling2.gif

I heard you should have a sitter while taking it, what do you think about that? What if you only smoke the leaf naturally and only take small doses?

Being afraid of a psychic attack, I quickly casted a psi shield arround me.

Whats a psi shield? And how do you cast it? And how does it work?