Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'matter' from the latin word for mother?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46    Slorri

Slorri

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 04 August 2010 - 08:16 PM, said:

There is something to be said for ma and pa as the words that come easiest to children.

http://www.sussex.ac...re_do_mama2.pdf

Posted Image
This is wonderfully explained.

Now, this conclusion is an error. There is absolutely no evidence that babbling
children are trying to speak, and in fact linguists are pretty sure they are not. Babbling
appears t o be no more than a way of experimenting with the vocal tract, and babbled
sounds like mama and dada are not intended as meaningful utterances. But the parents
think otherwise: they are sure little Jennifer is trying to talk.
But what is Jennifer trying to say? This is not obvious, and in fact the fond
parents can only guess what Jennifer means to say. And what guess does Mother come
up with? Does she guess that little Jenny is trying to say 'banana'? Or 'telephone'? Or
'go away'? No. In almost eve ry case, Mother concludes that little Jenny is trying to say
'mother'.

Posted Image

#47    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,335 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 04 August 2010 - 08:16 PM, said:

However, during the development and progression of sankrit and indo-european languages the philosophy becomes ever more important. As sankrit is the root that went through greece and into rome as thought and philosophy the connection appears to be a good one IMHO.

Please review this 'Family Tree' of the Indo-European languages, Jim, and perhaps then review your statement "sanskrit is the root which went through Greece and into Rome".

I-E Family Tree

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#48    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 04 August 2010 - 09:01 PM, said:

Please review this 'Family Tree' of the Indo-European languages, Jim, and perhaps then review your statement "sanskrit is the root which went through Greece and into Rome".

I-E Family Tree

Excellent link Leo, you are quite right my mistake. There is some debate ongoing but I do think the Anatolian hypothesis for the origin of PIE is the most likely.

Here is a funny link that has an example of a PIE translation. Well worth a look.  :lol: Too long too post perhaps.

I meant root as in latin and germanic being derived from sanskrit rather than it being the root of all IEs. Is this accurate or do they have another source?

Still doesn't explain the connections with maya as the illusion. In greek it meant 'maker' which is comparable to matter. And now science is learning that to an extent matter is an illusion.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#49    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,335 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:21 AM

View PostSlimJim22, on 04 August 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

Excellent link Leo, you are quite right my mistake. There is some debate ongoing but I do think the Anatolian hypothesis for the origin of PIE is the most likely.

Here is a funny link that has an example of a PIE translation. Well worth a look.  :lol: Too long too post perhaps.

I meant root as in latin and germanic being derived from sanskrit rather than it being the root of all IEs. Is this accurate or do they have another source?

Still doesn't explain the connections with maya as the illusion. In greek it meant 'maker' which is comparable to matter. And now science is learning that to an extent matter is an illusion.

I am not a scholar of historical linguistics and only have an opinion based on what has been learned so far in that field (that I find agreeable), but it would appear that Sanskrit is not the (or a) root language of the Germanic or Italic languages, neither are the latter derived from Sanskrit (which is saying the same thing, really), but is a branch separate from them.

Perhaps they all share a common root (through successive 'ancestor' languages), but that root would not be Sanskrit.

Edited by Leonardo, 05 August 2010 - 06:22 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#50    tonyfran

tonyfran

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 05 August 2010 - 06:21 AM, said:

I am not a scholar of historical linguistics and only have an opinion based on what has been learned so far in that field (that I find agreeable), but it would appear that Sanskrit is not the (or a) root language of the Germanic or Italic languages, neither are the latter derived from Sanskrit (which is saying the same thing, really), but is a branch separate from them.

Perhaps they all share a common root (through successive 'ancestor' languages), but that root would not be Sanskrit.

It is not a co-incidence that  Mat--- is the root for mother in most languages in the world, and Pat (Fat--) is the root for father in most languages as Sanskrit is the root language for most languages in the world including German in which mathr means maternal and pithr means paternal.
Maternal means substance which is formed and paternal means the design into which it is formed.
According to this analysis, the soil inside a garden will be classified as mother, and the seed of a plant as father.
The product (fruit or flower or seed will be the son which will become the father of a new generation.)
and the plant itself will rot and become the mother of the new generation. Thus the species of plant will re-generate itself year after year and ensure its continued existence for centuries to come.
This analysis will not be accepted by some groups for obvious reasons

#51    quicksilv3r0

quicksilv3r0

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Posted Image

Samkhya Philosophy, Developed by the sage Kapila is the theory of Creation. The Mother energy; Prakruti is the feminine spirit: of Love, that which makes us wake up in the morning. It is that which becomes aware of the Creation, of Consciousness. Purusha is pure choiceless consciousness... what people describe as Nirvana or the far reaches of a DMT realization. Where you can be removed from material existance, yet still have your consciousness intact, in a place which feels home and full of Love. From the Love, the Love which became conscious of the Love, is the very reason we are on Earth at this and every moment. No one exists for even an instant without performing action; however unwilling, every being is forced to act by the qualities of nature. Love is action performed as sacrifice to your undying affection for Creation, Life and that which sustains Life. Once sharing the Purpose to uphold Creation, the means by which we do so do not matter. Everyone who has ever done good or acted righteously in their lives has upheld Creation whether they knew it or not, and the joy experienced from doing so comes from our ever blissful state of surrering to Love - using our Minds to understand the prime necessity of human beings and presenting that authoritatively. Love cannot be given nor received, it is just simply discovered and allowed. Liberation - Freedom from attachment and delusion comes when we understand that Death comes to us when we most need Him - and with this knowledge we can fearlessly uphold that which is simultanously One and Everything, as a drop in the ocean becoming aware that it is the ocean itself. Fare well on your rediscovery brothers and sister. I Love You. Thank You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users