Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#61    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I like conflict and hate seeing people fight. What better way to get both of what I want by making myself like a more attractive target?

If I can get people to agree awesome, if I can't and everybody is p***ed off at me and not at each other I can laugh at that and go on my merry way.

Short and sweet is usually the best way to get a point across. Snarky is the best way to get a message across on the internet. Put them together and you get something that works.

#62    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Do you think my ego shows through my posting?
There's no indication whatsoever through my bland,neutral username.
My posts do have an uniform quality about them which indicates I'm a neat freak.
They are all about perfection and attention to detail.
Which indicates some kind of ego but it's not rampant.
The only time my ego comes through in the truest sense of the word is when I rave about Swindon Town.
I'm in a different parish then compared to my other posts.
That could be more about pride than anything.
In reality though my real-life ego can be boosted by copious amounts of alcohol.
Tbh as far as the ego factor is concerned I'm amongst the lowest on the board.

Edited by Medium Brown, 08 January 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#63    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,789 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

One thing I've noticed is that it's difficult for me to personally try and describe my ego.  I am usually aware of it, and can think to past examples when it's showed itself, but describing it is tricky for some reason.  Maybe that's because the ego doesn't like being identified and targeted?
In saying that, it's important to recognize when it is showing itself. When you can recognize the ego acting up in yourself or in other people's words or behaviours, it's much easier to not react to it, or take things personally.

#64    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 07 January 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Ok, I'm being deliberately vague with this.
I'm sure most of us have one or to nemesis in the Community who clash because there's just something about their posts/attitute/style that doesn't sit well with our own EGO's..

So, show us your Egos.

And let's discuss & define what Ego actually is.

And pick apart each other's Ego.

One day I will have myself crowned God and make all the people worship me.

I will take the unemployed and have them construct a 2 mile high statue in my likeness and I will have anybody who is someone erased from the history books so I am left the greatest.

Me, me, me!

#65    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Is size of online ego in inverse proportion to real life personality? I often thought that those who shout loudly and in your face online, do so because their real lives are so small and meaningless. I saw in various news outlets where trolls that have caused real harm, have been unmasked. They are sourfaced rat like people, and I guess this is the picture of them we all form in our minds.

For myself, well, I am dead and I am a god (apparently) And as my brain is gone long long ago, there is no ego, no nothing, I do not exist, an anti-ego. Well, I do not take kindly to some of the charlatans and bullies and let them know this directly. That is my only claim to any ego, all else is a dream of a lost universe.

and this Posted Image

and all to often this Posted Image

#66    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 08 January 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

I will take the unemployed and have them construct a 2 mile high statue in my likeness and I will have anybody who is someone erased from the history books so I am left the greatest.

Me, me, me!
I'm not going to sugarcoat this or accept it.
How can you honestly justify this hatred of unemployed people?
Didn't you realise this wouldn't go un-noticed when me and the OP are jobless.
I can't honestly speak for him but I'm letting you know clearly what my feelings are.
You are an idiot of the highest order and here's me picking apart your ego.
I've heard of god complexes but you take the biscuit.
Congratulations for being the second person to anger me on this forum.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#67    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,789 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I found the article I was reminded of before in regards to having a healthy ego, and the differences between "Strong" and "Big" egos.

Our Egos: Do They Need Strengthening--or Shrinking?

...people with strong egos can be viewed generally as self-confident; secure and emotionally stable; flexible, adaptive, and able to cope well with everyday stresses and frustrations; mature, independent, and resourceful; and authentic. On the contrary, those with big egos lack inner stability and are more easily upset; tend to be rigid, reactive, dogmatic, and egocentric; simulate self-confidence (rather than truly possess it); display arrogance and a narcissistic sense of entitlement; show deficits in personal integrity; and, perhaps more telling than anything else, demonstrate--when feeling threatened--a surprising weakness, even fragility. Although such egos may, indeed, be "oversized," their actual bigness or stature has largely to do with ego-inflation, vs. any real ego strength.

In short, what I got from most of this is that having a strong (or healthy) ego has to do with having a genuine strong sense of self, or self worth/esteem. One that can be aware and accepting of personal insecurities without masking them, among other things.

Edited by sarah_444, 08 January 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#68    Blue Star

Blue Star

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I would like to like your post here sarah 444 but as I have used up my quoter today...... I had to type this instead.

It's a really good exercise to look into and study the theories about the id, ego, big I, little i...... And all the other variations upon the same theme. It has been philosophised over since philosophy began and so phycology.
Once passed the self-a-facing stuff which will ruffle anyones feathers. It can be quite amusing to watch the out play in oneself and others.
Only when it has been addressed, can it be de-contaminated as it were.

It is interesting how the Ego with the big E or big I will use every underhanded trick to subjugate, ostracise, manipulate, pull down..... All about it which it is threatened by..... Such as the statistics Prof T demonstrated so well earlier. All these tricks are in a vain attempt to get/stay on top of what in truth is a fictitious pyre. The fat Ego is a false friend who pretends to protect you from harm..... When it truth there is nothing to fear.

#69    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostBlue Star, on 08 January 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

I would like to like your post here sarah 444 but as I have used up my quoter today...... I had to type this instead.

It's a really good exercise to look into and study the theories about the id, ego, big I, little i...... And all the other variations upon the same theme. It has been philosophised over since philosophy began and so phycology.
Once passed the self-a-facing stuff which will ruffle anyones feathers. It can be quite amusing to watch the out play in oneself and others.
Only when it has been addressed, can it be de-contaminated as it were.

It is interesting how the Ego with the big E or big I will use every underhanded trick to subjugate, ostracise, manipulate, pull down..... All about it which it is threatened by..... Such as the statistics Prof T demonstrated so well earlier. All these tricks are in a vain attempt to get/stay on top of what in truth is a fictitious pyre. The fat Ego is a false friend who pretends to protect you from harm..... When it truth there is nothing to fear.

The ego is an optical illusion of conciousness, right? Someone said that once...just don't remember who. lol

#70    Blue Star

Blue Star

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Darn, I wish that there wasn't a cap on my likes :tu:

When a false need....... for, it is really a false need/ want...... to be on top. Is induced, for it is induced..... it is not a natural state of being, at all. it come from a deep insecurity and co-dependance. Into the psyche, it will rule havoc upon all to the extremes of war, violence and murder it is the place of walls and barricades.....Into insanity it runs. For it divides things that need never be divided. It finds fault with things that are as they are....Oh, I could go on but where's the fun in that, ah?......As this is a personal journey for us all to realise in self when ready to see.

Edited by Blue Star, 08 January 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#71    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Much of our Ego's imo are on Autopilot.. We have automatic responses to events.. This I think comes down to programming, or the more durable strategies you have alluded to. Ego think's it knows everything and because of that it is in control. When It looses control our perception of reality is destroyed.. I think I've been close to this before.. It's deffinately not a nice thing.
Speaking personally, I feel this to be true. Particulary: 'durable strategies' ...... my ego has learned ways to make me appear equal with the other 'herd members'(occasionally it even succeeds in making me imagine I am superior to some of them .... then I come down to earth with a bump!).

View PostJinxdom, on 08 January 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Show us your Ego? oh dear no clue.

For the likes though, I did notice that more people have a tendency to like short, snarky, cute posts more then anything else.

Avatar and name both have to do with insanity of the exception, contradiction, enigmas and paradoxes.

Basically my whole ego comes down to one statement. I like shiny things. If you can understand that one thing, then you can understand me.
I think Jinxdom is exactly as his avatar suggests :lol:

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

People who predominantly post short, snarky or cute posts usually fall into the same catagory of people that are more interested in provoking responses from the Like Button or promoting false pretenses imo..

Some of these types of response are designed by their Ego to promote the Idea that their responses are autoritive when in reality they are not.. Their inventment in responding to other posts are self serving... Am wondering if many have encountered this kind of response much? And whether ya'll have come to the conclusion that these short self serving posts is BS from BS artists?
By Jove, Prof.T., you hit several nails squarely on the head in this post :D

View PostMedium Brown, on 08 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Do you think my ego shows through my posting?
There's no indication whatsoever through my bland,neutral username.
My posts do have an uniform quality about them which indicates I'm a neat freak.
They are all about perfection and attention to detail.
Which indicates some kind of ego but it's not rampant.
The only time my ego comes through in the truest sense of the word is when I rave about Swindon Town.
I'm in a different parish then compared to my other posts.
That could be more about pride than anything.
In reality though my real-life ego can be boosted by copious amounts of alcohol.
Tbh as far as the ego factor is concerned I'm amongst the lowest on the board.
'Methinks you protesteth too much'! I think we're looking at one mighty big ego here ...... one day it will break out here big style! ;)

View Postsarah_444, on 08 January 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

One thing I've noticed is that it's difficult for me to personally try and describe my ego.  I am usually aware of it, and can think to past examples when it's showed itself, but describing it is tricky for some reason.  Maybe that's because the ego doesn't like being identified and targeted?
In saying that, it's important to recognize when it is showing itself. When you can recognize the ego acting up in yourself or in other people's words or behaviours, it's much easier to not react to it, or take things personally.
This is what I experience too. It's important to the ego not to be 'identified and targeted' ...... this surely would lead to some sort of breakdown?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#72    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Me, me, me!

Hmm, you're a funny one ...... sometimes I read your posts and I hate you, other posts of yours have me nodding vigorously in agreement.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#73    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Me, me, me!

Lol.. Great display of Ego Mr Right Wing!

View PostMedium Brown, on 08 January 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'm not going to sugarcoat this or accept it.
How can you honestly justify this hatred of unemployed people?
Didn't you realise this wouldn't go un-noticed when me and the OP are jobless.
I can't honestly speak for him but I'm letting you know clearly what my feelings are.
You are an idiot of the highest order and here's me picking apart your ego.
I've heard of god complexes but you take the biscuit.
Congratulations for being the second person to anger me on this forum.

Lol.. Awesome!!!!!
You picked up on his baiting on the Unemployed as well..

Am wondering though, do you think that Mr's Right wing wrote that remark about the unemployed intentionally?

#74    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Tricky....

Very tricky....

You are very aloof and hard to pin down..
Oh yes, and 7th out of 17 on the most liked scale of posters in this Thread too..

Your Ego is not very dominant, which makes you very easily lead by others.. You can hold and one on one conversation or argument very well, but when it is you v's 2 or more others you crumble.. The crumbling is due to a need to feel backed up by other like minded people..

Am I right?  
(think I've missed something..)

View PostJinxdom, on 08 January 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

I like conflict and hate seeing people fight. What better way to get both of what I want by making myself like a more attractive target?

If I can get people to agree awesome, if I can't and everybody is p***ed off at me and not at each other I can laugh at that and go on my merry way.

Short and sweet is usually the best way to get a point across. Snarky is the best way to get a message across on the internet. Put them together and you get something that works.

Well I missed something here..
Is anyone else willing to have a go at picking Jinxdom's Ego apart?

#75    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 08 January 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

I found the article I was reminded of before in regards to having a healthy ego, and the differences between "Strong" and "Big" egos.

Our Egos: Do They Need Strengthening--or Shrinking?

In short, what I got from most of this is that having a strong (or healthy) ego has to do with having a genuine strong sense of self, or self worth/esteem. One that can be aware and accepting of personal insecurities without masking them, among other things.

Awesome!! Thanks..
Am going to have a good read of this.. It looks like it makes a lot of sense, especially around emotional instability..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users